Movable Apps Button

I was hoping some more thought was put into allowing users to more the app button to the beginning on the dock . I find that as an ex unity user i instinctively move the mouse to to top of the dock and secondly if i have my dock on the bottom the app button is completely wrong . I know that the original dash to dock is available to add extra usability to the ubuntu dock but i feel that this is an option that should be a default.
Many thanks for your time .

1 Like

Hi Jason,

We decided to keep the button at the bottom because the list of apps it shows is subtly different from what is shown when you click Activities at the top left. We think that having the button directly below Activities could cause people to click the wrong thing and it wouldn’t be immediately obvious why sometimes one thing happened and sometimes something else happened.

We’d like to do some user testing at the start of the 18.04 cycle to gather data on how people interact with the dock and so we might revisit this decision for 18.04.

5 Likes

Thanks for the reply but what about the very off userbility of the dock on the bottom and apps button on the bottom right . This I think is an issue I don’t think any testing would be required to determine that it’s position is wrong .

2 Likes

Let’s gather that evidence and make any required changes in the 18.04 cycle. Things are locked down for release now.

1 Like

All good . i can see your point with the vertical dock. Although it imho would and does only take miner muscle memory training to avoid accidental triggering of the activities button especially since the hot corner has been turned off but research will be required to obtain best practices . The other issue i have seen and heard from users was the inclusion of the option to turn the ubuntu dock off. But i think is an argument for another day.

2 Likes

@jasonflindt Could you open a bug for your suggestion to put the Show Applications button on the left when the dock is on the bottom?

It’s too late for 17.10 but it’s something to be considered for 18.04 LTS.

3 Likes

The bug is now filed . Thanks for the help.

1 Like

For reference, what’s the bug that was filed?

I’m guessing it’s this one, which is a duplicate of this one. Click the ‘this affects me’ button at the top if you support the change.

1 Like

I have added it affects me too. Hopefully, we have have the button on the bottom left when the panel is moved down. :slight_smile:

1 Like