Calling our existing 16.04 users

We’re trying to fix a puzzling issue which is affecting some of our existing Ubuntu 16.04 users, and could do with a little help from our LTS users! We may ask you to run a couple more commands depending on your answer here. If you’re willing to help a little with some very lightweight debugging, please read on! Thanks in advance.

If you have less technical friends running 16.04, we’d be interested to hear what they see too, if you’re willing to proxy the request.

Note: This post only applies to daily users of Ubuntu 16.04, no other releases apply here.

Also, we don’t need people to spin up new virtual machines, or install 16.04 cleanly, or upgrade to it to debug this. This post is only targetted at existing users of 16.04.

It’s really simple! Here’s what you do:-

Login to your Ubuntu 16.04 system and open Ubuntu Software.

Which of these two screenshots mostly reflects what yours looks like.

Note: Ignore that I have some things installed and you don’t (or vice versa), and disregard the theme I am using. What is important is the list of applications you see.

Please reply below, let us know if it’s the top (GIMP) screenshot, or the bottom (Spotify) one.

If you see the GIMP one, could you please also paste the output from the following command:-

apt-cache policy gnome-software

2 Likes

On my machine I see Spotify.

1 Like

Spotify here
…silly 20char limit …

1 Like

On mine it’s Spotify.

1 Like

I have the Spotify screen.

1 Like

On my current machine, I see GIMP as featured application (like in your top screenshot). None of my editor’s picks match either of your screenshots though.
The recommended audio applications are the same as for you.

$ apt-cache policy gnome-software
gnome-software:
  Installed: 3.20.5-0ubuntu0.16.04.7
  Candidate: 3.20.5-0ubuntu0.16.04.7
  Version table:
 *** 3.20.5-0ubuntu0.16.04.7 500
        500 http://ftp.uni-stuttgart.de/ubuntu xenial-updates/main amd64 Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
     3.20.1+git20160420.1.ca63436.ubuntu-xenial-0ubuntu2 500
        500 http://ftp.uni-stuttgart.de/ubuntu xenial/main amd64 Packages

At work, I do have exactly the Spotify (bottom) look.

1 Like

I see the Spotify banner, not the Gimp one.

1 Like

I also have the spotify banner.

1 Like

I’ve got the Spotify one. I have the spotify snap installed, if that’s important?

1 Like

Spotify here. I’m getting the same output as ByteCommander, except mine’s located at a different server (no.archive.ubuntu.com).

1 Like

I get the Spotify screen. .

1 Like

Might make sense to ask if one is seeing the gimp type screen to ck. if snapd is installed…
gimp style here, 3.26.3-2ubuntu1

Spotify here. - Also use Synaptic. (Is this 20 characters?)

1 Like

In my case, Spotify is the one.

1 Like

Second (Spotify) …

1 Like

Spotify. Wow so many proprietary apps on the front page :expressionless:

1 Like

I 've got the Spotify banner as well…

1 Like

Spotify…

1 Like

Spotify here. Adding some text to get to 20 chars.

1 Like