Call for participation: an ubuntu default theme lead by the community?

Light menu looks fantastic there

2 Likes

Oh indeed this is the extension you are talking about, right?
https://extensions.gnome.org/extension/358/activities-configurator/

Looks pretty good imho.

I guess if you get that past the GNOME designers, the loss of branding with the loss of the ubuntu logo at the app grid button would be corrected

6 Likes

yes, thatā€™s the one!

I agree, it would be better anyway. Working on this mockup, I also thought to remove the bright line that appears when windows are maximized.

Ah, I havenā€™t tried this combination, Iā€™ll have a look

1 Like

I like it as well. The logo at the bottom was always a bit weird

4 Likes

Sounds great! I think the amount of space next to the logo with the Activities Configurator is possibly excessive and does make the button look absurdly long. Donā€™t Fedora use a watermark on the desktop background via this extension or something? Maybe thatā€™s more acceptable to GNOME? :slight_smile:

frist of all, Iā€™d like to thank all the community members involved in that tremendous work concerning the new Ubuntu theme. Itā€™s really beautiful and neat.
However Iā€™ve noticed that a few Suru icons are missing, specifically in the Synaptic application such as : Actualiser (refresh), Appliquer (applied), and PropriĆ©tĆ©s (proprieties)

Some Snaps application are transparents, i had to reinstall them from scratch passing by the APT GET.
Except theses little tiny hassles, your work is just amazing and impressive. I hope that your work concerning the theme will be promoted by the ubuntu community leaderss /managers!

2 Likes

Hi @marcosaillard,

first of all thank you :wink:

Transparent snap is a bug we (well snapd theme) is already working on :slight_smile:

About the missing suru icons, would you mind open a bug on its github repository

I just finally figured out how to get the communitheme loaded with my broken screen, and it looks stunning! I love the new sounds, too (unless Iā€™m just hearing things)! The Suru icons complement the theme well.

I would suggest taking a look at the hard drive icons, thoughā€¦ they look a little too close to the obsolete Groove Music icon (had to do a double take). Also, I think having the Ubuntu icon glow when pressing it to open up the All Apps view would make it stand out, perhaps in an orange color?

3 Likes

@didrocks love the use of tracks here (donā€™t know if it actually works because Iā€™ll stick with edge but this is great)!!

2 Likes

+1 This is nothing less than amazing!!! Such a breeze to work with :slight_smile: In one second you can try a new branch and rolll back to edge when youā€™re done testing :confetti_ball:

5 Likes

Thinking about the Ubuntu logoā€¦ I liked the app grid button (and believe the plan is to restore it) but I can understand why people are nervous about having no Ubuntu logo on the desktop.

I think putting a small logo next to ā€œActivitiesā€, as suggested above, could work. I also like the fact that doing it would push ā€œActivitiesā€ a little to the right. At my resolution, ā€œActivitiesā€ is almost aligned with the top of the launcher, but not quite. It almost looks like itā€™s meant to be aligned but went slightly wrong. An Ubuntu logo would push it further to the right, and make it clear that ā€œActivitiesā€ lives at the left of the header and isnā€™t meant to be positioned relative to the launcher.

Another option would be to put an Ubuntu logo with the little white icons at the right of the header. There is a down arrow to represent ā€œmoreā€, but you donā€™t click the arrow - you just click the whole area. Adding a small Ubuntu logo wouldnā€™t make any difference to behaviour here, and it wouldnā€™t matter if the user tried clicking the logo or the down arrow. The result would be the same.

top right ubuntu logo

The next two options donā€™t affect the desktop, per se, but rather out-of-the-box appearance. The disadvantage of both is the fact that, for some users, the Ubuntu logo will disappear when they start customising the look and feel of the desktop.

Firstly, you could pressure the default wallpaper people to abandon mascots and incorporate a Circle of Friends into the wallpaper.

Secondly, you could ask the Suru developer to incorporate a circle of friends into a Suru icon, for an app that could appear at the top of the launcher by default. ā€œSettingsā€ or ā€œApp storeā€ would be possible contenders, or it could just open a relevant web page or list of credits. For users who leave the icon where it is, this approach is arguably the closest look to Unity:

top icon ubuntu logo

5 Likes

Thanks for the heads up! Itā€™s done Iā€™ve opened a bug report on Github :

I donā€™t know if it fits the rules of bug filling on that platform!

Do you mean, with this configuration?

Yes, with it disabled (I donā€™t remember what the default config is), but basically, you donā€™t have any application headerbar, just the tabs below the top GNOME Shell panel.

1 Like

Edge channel has just been promoted to stable! :tada:

Stable channel got lot of bug fixes and the following important changes:

• new switch style
  • removed separation between titlebar and menubar
  • new bright GNOME shell dialogs
  • some Orange is back
  • green notification badges in dock

Some of the points above have been discussed a lot since the beginning of the project as well as during this week and I am quite sure they will be in the near future, so feel free to give us your feedbacks, always considering that we are a community.

9 Likes

what work has been done, really, I am really impressed by all that has been accomplished in such a short time.
Congratulations to the entire community working around the same project. I love it!!!

If there were two points that I would like to see improve over time.

• I repeat myself, sorry, but the highlighting of the menus is too clear
  • the top bar is too wide for me. This takes up a lot of space on screens that are not too big, and now that there is no more separation, itā€™s even more visible
    All of this, is, of course only my opinion.

Other than that, you can be proud of the result and ubuntu looks great thanks to you

1 Like
  • +Green notification badges in dock!!! :blush:
5 Likes

Iā€™m on stable and see some of the changes you mentioned :

• Lovely new switches

• No separation b/w titlebar & menubar look clean - I like it!

• I preferred the the dark dialogs but the light ones are ok as well :wink:

• Orange is back, wellā€¦ IT WAS MUCH BETTER when it was subtle. :cry:

• Canā€™t see any green badges on the dock. Probably youā€™re just joking ?!

Other issues Iā€™ve noticed after boot :

• The sound theme is mixes the old and the new togetherā€¦

• In wayland I canā€™t resize windows with communitheme cursor - other cursors work just fine.

• Artifacts on wayland when windows resizing with communitheme only . ( full screen to window size)

• GDM login entry look dark and awesome! - but lock screen entry is still white.

• Search entry look much better. if only the big fat orange border could be inline or VERY thin it could be delicious :smiley:

All an all Great work so far!

1 Like

No joking :smiley:
Donā€™t you see any badge or donā€™t you see any ā€œgreenā€ badge?

would you mind reporting them on github?

1 Like