Call for participation: an ubuntu default theme lead by the community?

:grin: “For whom the bell tolls” was a nice touch :+1:

1 Like

Snap apps are not yet properly themed, which is a shame given that 18.04 is already out. Ironically, flatpak apps support communitheme pretty well since 3 days ago, faster than ubuntu’s own snap…

1 Like

I propose to use the ubuntu purple rather than blue that reminds of GNOME Vanilla for sliders and progress bars.

1 Like

I’m afraid it’s me again!

I’ve been mulling over menu titles. I spend a lot of time looking at these because my main apps have them.

So, to sum up: I know from @c-lobrano that it isn’t yet possible to fuse menu bar with window heading, because Mutter doesn’t support it. And I also know that the design team weren’t in favour of light menu titles.

In that case, for the menu titles, I think simply tweaking the shade of dark grey would be an improvement. Currently, I think there are two oddities:

• The shade of grey used is very close to the in-focus window heading, but not identical. To my eye, it’s in the “uncanny valley”. It’s too close to make a pleasing contrast, but not close enough to make a pleasing match.

• We have three different shades of grey involved (in-focus window heading, out-of-focus window heading, menu titles). I think this could be made slightly more elegant?

So, here’s my new suggestion: for the menu titles, use the same shade of grey as the out-of-focus window heading.

This is a very subtle change but I think it’s an improvement. It means the window heading and menu titles will either match completely (if the window is out of focus) or be a bit more different to each other, and make a more pleasing contrast (when the window is in focus). It also means we only have two shades of grey in play.

Here are mockups to show the proposal.

In focus, not maximised:

In focus, maximised:

Out of focus:

Illustration of the contrast (View, Layer and Object have the proposed background colour, whereas Path, Text and Filters have the current background colour):

contrast

Just a suggestion as always, feel free to discount. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder!

6 Likes

Great work Stuart :+1:
I think it’s a subtle but very nice tweak. Would you mind opening an issue yourself? (please add the screenshots or at least refer to this post).

1 Like

Why do you think its not possible to blend the menubar with the window titlebar? Ambiance does. I guess all you need to do is remove the dark line at the bottom of the window titlebar - then there would be no separation.

1 Like

The analysis took place here and we thought that the line was a server side decoration, that’s why mutter. However, you’re right, on Ambiance the separation does not look the same. I’ll have a further look

IMHO I think it looks better when they are seperated - especially with @jaggers color change above.

This is (1) current (2) only seperation line (3) same color without line: (click for bigger image)

Sorry to all, but @CraigD was right. Not sure why at the beginning I was unable to make it work, probably because it’s kind of server side and require reboot or refresh :thinking:

Probably to make it work best, we should add side borders to menubar too

1 Like

Here gnome-terminal

Libre office

EDIT: screenshots above show a thicker border in menubar which is not actually visible on my display

2 Likes

I’m no designer - so I’ll leave the choice as to which ‘looks’ better to you :slight_smile: However, seeing as you can drag the window by the menubar - I think it looks nicer when it is integrated, as it then feels ‘part’ of the titlebar, and more obvious that this space is dragable.

1 Like

I just took the task :laughing: you are making some good findings, so please do keep up contributing to the conversation. Anyway, good point.

I’ll create an issue later (if @jaggers haven’t done that already) with the title “Tweak the menubar color” and tag @luxamman there, so we can discuss what to do.

I was going to create an issue when I got home this evening :slight_smile:

If “no separator” is now possible I prefer that and can’t wait to try it!

1 Like

Whilst on the subject of integrating menubars into titlebars… What about reducing the height of titlebars? They feel very chunky, even Ambiance has smaller titlebars. Blending menubar+titlebar gives a large drag area, so reducing the height of the titlebar should be OK. For apps without a menubar, but with a ‘primary’ toolbar - perhaps this should also be dark? This would then give these non-headerbar apps a headerbar like look, no? Just a suggestion…

Just noticed that easytag has a menubar and toolbar - and the window is draggable by titlebar, menubar, and toolbar. I think the draggable areas should look the same. With Ambiance easytag’s titlebar, menubar, and toolbar look unified.

1 Like

@madsrh and thread,

I created a Github issue (my first!):

1 Like

I was curious to see how the amended shade of grey would work for non-menu apps that pick up the same shade (the main ones being Chromium and Firefox - which, I think, take the same shade for the area behind the tabs). So, I made a mockup showing Chromium.

Couple of other features of this mockup:

• I’ve (again) erased the dividing line between the launcher and the Gnome header. Personally, I really like having a continuous area for these two elements.
  • I restored the orange “X” button to see how I felt about it. I do like the current look too, because it’s smart. But I wonder if the theme lost a little character when it lost the orange circle. Mixed feelings for me - I’ll be happy with whatever the design team chooses.
  • I actually restored the app grid button, removing the Ubuntu logo. Again, I have mixed feelings about this, so was just trying it out. I think it was @didrocks who wanted to keep the app grid, and I see his logic. Also, if I forgot about brand loyalty, I do think a square works slightly better than a circle here, purely in terms of composition.

detail #1

detail #2

detail #3

4 Likes

There is actually a PR for bringing back the orange circle. @godlyranchdressing just needs some more time for finnishing the squircle/circle problem on hover
And there is also a PR for bringing back the app grid icon - we are not sure about the total absence of the ubuntu logo in the whole desktop though

2 Likes

Perhaps there could be a small in-line logo to the left of the Activities text? Would @didrocks consider that a deviation too far from upstream? I think his idea though is that both the Activities and Applications buttons should be used and thus there shouldn’t be an Ubuntu logo next to either (since that would imply that one or the other should be used)? Though having said that, with upstream there is no Dash to Dock, so you wouldn’t be using the Applications button at all from the desktop, so maybe the Activities button should get an Ubuntu logo next to it…

1 Like

One last post from me on this topic. If Communitheme stays with separate header/menu titles - i.e., different shades of grey + separating line - I wonder if it’s worth adding left/right borders to the menu bar anyway, to make it join more neatly with the header:

min side lines

max side lines

4 Likes

This is something that is supported and discussed many times in the GNOME community. (some extensions even enable this). It wasn’t very well received by upstream. I think we’ll open a discussion at GUADEC (GNOME Dev conference) about customization/theming for distributions and see about this item (logo next to activity OR at the bottom of the Dock). I still feel as repeated many times that the logo at the bottom feels weirds to me and hide the separation activities/applications.

Edit: I really like the latest updates. I’m having hard time personnally though with the transparency on the top bar when an application like chromium, without decoration is next to it. You have the light grey tabs next to a semi-transparent dark aubergine…

2 Likes