Xorg will be the default in 18.04 LTS

Wayland is a protocol, Unity is a desktop environment. Apples and oranges.

3 Likes

Perhaps even more like oranges and a fruit basket, but whatā€™s even more fascinating to me, is that this thread is still alive 42 days later.

2 Likes

Is that mean i can have the nvidia driver on my PC?
P.S. I use Ubuntu 17.10 and idk if the next release will be coming soon

Yes you can always use the nvidia driver. This discussion doesnā€™t change that (much).

Iā€™m so very (VERY) happy Ubuntu 18.04 LTS uses Gnome 3.x. Unity gone is ā€˜answered prayersā€™! Thanks, Team Ubuntu!

@vanvugt
Hm, I upgraded from the 18.04 daily iso everyday until release :slight_smile:
How can I get rid of the wayland session(s) completely?
I use our communitheme session and the ubuntu session parallel. If I remove the wayland session will it affect the names of the communitheme session on xorg?

1 Like

Thatā€™s an unusual request. But I think you can disable/hide the Wayland option by editing /etc/gdm3/custom.conf and uncommenting:

#WaylandEnable=false
2 Likes

Once you do what @vanvugt told you, it will only impact Wayland session, not any other session (like communitheme session on xorg).

1 Like

Alright thanks for the info. Itā€™s no biggie itā€™s just that I donā€™t use wayland at all since some programs I use donā€™t work with wayland :slight_smile: and I canā€™t reset the gnome session with it and I need that alt+f2-> r for the communitheme shell theme development

Tip: only reload the theme via alt+F2 ā†’ rt :wink: (works on both)

3 Likes

Oh nice! Ty for the info.

DisplayLink still hasnā€™t released a driver compatible with 18.04. Probably because supporting Ubuntu is a HUGE WASTE OF THEIR TIME. I upgraded to 18.04 from Ubuntu GNOME and regret it. Huge waste of time and money ($200 docking station, 2x $200 monitors, 1x $70 stand). This is why there will never be a ā€œYear of the Linux Desktopā€.

Good morning, everyone!
I donā€™t know if this is where I should try to solve my problem, but maybe I can get some orientation.
Iā€™ve bought a Dell Inspiron 15 7000 and it came with Windows 10, but I want to try the Ubuntu 18.04 and everytime that I tried to install it, the PC says that the ISO has 2 corrupted files, but Iā€™ve already tried with 3 difierent ISOā€™s sources.
Can someone help me get off Windows?

Anyway, thanks!

Check out for places to go for help - https://community.ubuntu.com/t/finding-help/712

Thanks, flocculant!
Iā€™ll try there, then!

I have read the whitepaper for Ubuntu Core and it boasts Snap as being a secure solution. However, I also see that X11 is the wrench in the security gears since its architecture design is insecure, which devalues Snapā€™s intention in the information security realm. This is why I was looking into Mir / Wayland which appeared to promise more security over X11/Xorg.

Is there more I can read about this?

Try https://forum.snapcraft.io for more Ubuntu Core questions ā€¦

in general you need mir-kiosk on Ubuntu Core to run anything graphical. mir-kiosk acts as a wayland compositor, provides a wayland socket (and snap interface) and runs fully confined ā€¦ inside that confined space you can then run X11 apps on top of XWayland

1 Like