Unity 7 Continuation - Call for Developers and Supporters!

Ok. Thank you for that clarification. I must make a note here. If we are going to test early ISO’s we must know a traceable source, not a person with an alias and has not signed the CoC. This is to help prevent malware from being bundled into an ISO. I had encouraged user to create a launchpad account, etc… but that ISO is from an anonymous source so many people will not test it because it is untrusted. I have tested it and it had a few installation bugs (just as mine did) and works well. I am just following advice from some members of the U+1 testing team. The Mega upload site that I use is very slow to upload and download. I would hope there would be a Canonical site to upload to. Thye are other credible sites but have upload limits. I do not think sourceforge is the right place to upload ISO.

Regards…

Oh yes. I emailed Canonical Legal for permission for distro-remix of IP so I am waiting to hear from them. Good advice from jbicha. :slight_smile:

What about cdimage.ubuntu.com? I know, It can’t go into normal branches (only official flavors). But we could create a experimental branch and put iso under it (if Canonical permits it). For now it is not necessary to have daily build iso, we can do that later.

cdimage.ubuntu.com
    experimental
        UUbuntu/Releases/18.04
            unity7-amd64.iso

Other option is to use launchpad itself. We can host iso there but it won’t have a torrent download option.

I am in agreement with this, (if Canonical permits it). I am awaiting decision on permissions to distribute remix. This should come first. I also suggest we rename the remix to Unitybuntu/Releases/18.04 as "buntu’ is also trademark of Canonical. I tend to agree with Jeremy that UUbuntu might confuse some users.

I also agree with -

experimental
Unitybuntu/Releases/18.04
unity7-amd64.iso

Does anyone else think the Unitybuntu/ name is better than Uubuntu? Are there some other suggestions?

Thanks … regards…

I agree that best place for “experimental” ISO should be cdimage.ubuntu.com. Of course if Canonical would allow this. This is traceable source that would somehow convince all people that Unity flavour has future.

If we talk about naming we can make it “simple” like other official flavours (ubuntu-mate, ubuntu-budgie) or we can be somehow “original” but at the same time not to distant.
Maybe something like “Reunity-remix”, “Ubuntu-reunity”.

But all previously mentioned proposals (Ubuntu-Unity, Uubuntu or Unitybuntu) are absoultely acceptable. Naming is not main goal at the moment.

Beside testing of unity-session under “parent” 18.04, parallel testing with early ISO is absolutely preferable. Let’s face it - at the end majority of people would like to have clean ISO with Unity only for fresh 18.04. installation.

Best regards

I agree … the conventional wisdom tell us to use ‘ubuntu-unity’.

Regards…

I don’t think Sourceforge is a bad site. Some people had badmouthed it sometime ago, but you have to try and see. All known projects are there. Manjaro, Zorin, Unetbootin, Clonezilla, Archbang, Sparky Linux, Tor Browser, Atom text editor and Squashfs etc. We all use squashfs, without which Ubuntu live iso wouldn’t be here.

Just try sourceforge and see. That’s the place many look for new distros. Sometimes, you can find a gem there.

There is one Unity7.iso out there, and also an Unity7-Testing.iso. The comunity iso doesn’t have to carry the name Ubuntu at all. If, the Ubuntu name must be there, it can be Unibuntu.

https://sourceforge.net/blog/sourceforge-acquisition-and-future-plans/

We are deciding not to use sourceforge for ubuntu-unity ISO.

I decided to follow jbicha’s advice and request permissions from Canonical Legal first. The unity7.iso at Mega can be tracked to me. In the original referral there is a disclaimer that it is experimental ISO created with pinguybuild app. If you want to participate in creating an ubuntu-unity ISO for 18.04 then please open a launchpad account and sign the CoC and upload to Mega or wait until I hear back from CL.

Regards…

That’s very old news, February, 2016! At that time, default Ubuntu was still Unity 7 and no one even thought of Gnome-shell then. That old!

It’s not about the age of the post. It’s about the new owner and his blog @sourceforge, that he committed to update his blog and there is no update!

We decide to wait/discuss other options of hosting site.

I don’t know how to create application packages, so once you and the team create the iso, I can test it.

You created Unity7R which worked well. So… open launchpad account, sign CoC and join maintainers team. Then upload your new ISO (ubuntu-unity-amd64.iso) to Mega. Make sure it is update/upgraded to 18.04. I can do another build also but I have to watch my bandwidth. I’m poor as a churchmouse here eh.

If you don’t want to upload to Mega then wait till I hear from CL, if we can use cdimage.ubuntu.com experimental.

cdimage.ubuntu.com is reserved for official Ubuntu flavors that are built using Launchpad.

1 Like

@dale-f-beaudoin

You are an Ubuntu Member, aren’t you ? You can use the space that Canonical gives to all Ubuntu Members.

You can make a request to rt if you need to extend the hard limit quota (1,5GB).
I’m talking about the ISO hosting.

wow …Thanks for that revelation Jeremy:) now I feel like a real idiot :slight_smile:

Yep … full fledged Ubuntu Member/Canonical Contributor in good standing (with only one FONT violation in 7 years ) :slight_smile:

Thanks … I will check that link out.

I think it’s the most suitable for what you want to do. It is trusted (https), only official Ubuntu members have this space available and 1,5GB as a limit is OK.
But if you want more space for the purpose of developing the Ubuntu Unity ISO images I think rt could made an exception.

Thanks again. The ISO I uploaded to Mega is only 1.4GB so if I can keep it down to that size then I don’t think much of a problem.

atm they would be ‘derivative distribution remix’ as unity7 is not official flavor.

Regards…