Unity 7 Continuation - Call for Developers and Supporters!

Well, I said Uubuntu (or whatever name)…

Ubuntu Mate and Budgie still have their own websites. https://ubuntu-mate.org, https://ubuntubudgie.org/

If they didn’t become official derivatives, that is, were not invited in, they would’ve become hard-to-beat competitors. Kylin also had to become an official derivative, as it is different and China has a massive population.

Zorin, which concentrated only on Gnome and Zorin additions had become a competitor. Zorin was created by two teenage Irish boys 8 years ago, and they stayed focused. Everyone knows about Mint too.

If you are saying as U+1, the Ubuntu Development Version forum, then the Ubuntu Forums are out. We don’t talk about Unity 7 there. Some members had already declared that they won’t post there any more. I have a Gnome-shell 18.04 install with my own extensions and the bottom panel, but would not also post any “happenings” with it there. That is, if “the focus of U+1 is to test the current default template of GNOME3+wayland default along with the other official flavors,” I’m out.

If you or Khurshid or the team would not come out with a Ubuntu Unity 7 live installable distro based on Ubuntu 17.10, or even 18.04 Dev, the whole story about an Ubuntu Unity7 derivative would stay… just a story. There is nothing for the eventual Unity 7 users to download and try.

Uh… excuse me … but we have unity-session in the 18.04 universe!!

But again … you are source mining your comments…

…so you’re current presentations of the facts are mere conjecture… When I get something together, perhaps after Christmas, I’ll bring the idea to the team. In the meantime you are welcome to create your own initiative, your own story so to speak. The team is just volunteers… it’s one day at a time eh…

Regards…

You had read the mission statement from U+1. We try to test the current dev cycle. We were asked to show as much love to GNOME3+wayland as we did to unity7 while it was default. I have signed the CoC and with that come certain responsibilities and commitments. My work behind the scenes with unity7/9 iso is not topical to the thread. You have to understand the difference between maintenance and development. The project as a whole is larger than any one person.

If they don’t post on Ubuntu forums, can we ask them to post here? This website is relatively new and not many are aware of it. May be we should declare that on Ubuntu forum too? That way any discussion about the website or anything Unity related can happen in a single place. If we get enough community support, a separate website with separate dedicated forum is a certainly a possibility.

There will be a live iso to install. That’s the idea. I checked the current experimental iso, which works well with few problems. But it can be polished.

The name could be as simple as Ubuntu Unity . That’s it.

Ubuntu Unity is an elegant operating system. Ubuntu Unity comes with Unity, which is a stable and easy to use Desktop Environment.

I have made a proposal to Vertical in Ubuntu Forums. For now I’ll stick here for any developments on U7 Continuation Project.

We can PM them.

Glad to hear this! Start one, with or without community support. The community would gather around it.

You are good at coding, Dale too. Other guys would join in time.

Khurshid,

Could you please verify which ISO you are using?

Regards…

That is great news everyone. I was getting worried we were stuck on talking vs assembling a team in some manner. Again I’m new to these inner workings of projects :slight_smile:

Keep us posted on when an ISO is available for testing and where communication is going on. What’s the step before forum? IRC or Slack channel? Website might make more sense when there is something to share but I’ll leave that to the leadership.

Looking forward to this! Thanks guys for all the efforts you’ve already put in.

I don’t think you’ll get any of those that said the wouldn’t post in the U+1 Development sub-forum here, because they don’t like some of the participants in this thread.

[

Khurshid,

Ubuntuforums is well aware of the existence of this forums and some of them do post here , me included. As far as a separate website, I do not think it is time yet to do so. If you recall , some of our discussion was to be able to make unity7 stable for those who may upgrade from a unity install from 16.04 or 14.04 or cycles in between. I am not against this progress but if Poster Chanath continually suggests that we build web-page for unity dev then he should build it.

We can post help requests and bugs on unity-session during the 18.04 development cycle but U+1 only deals with official flavours and so we cannot refer to unity7 as a desktop that is officially in development and being supported by Canonical. However if Canonical does bless unity7 as an official distro then that certainly would be half the battle. :slight_smile:

so please see this thread here which is open at the moment: help to make unity Uubuntu test.iso - Page 7

Regards…

Contacted the link and requested permission for distribution remix for Unity.

Thanks…
Regards…

I have answered your question at ubuntuforums link where you left proposal.

1 Like

I am using your iso. I know @chanath also created one, But I haven’t checked that one. Will do.

Ok. Thank you for that clarification. I must make a note here. If we are going to test early ISO’s we must know a traceable source, not a person with an alias and has not signed the CoC. This is to help prevent malware from being bundled into an ISO. I had encouraged user to create a launchpad account, etc… but that ISO is from an anonymous source so many people will not test it because it is untrusted. I have tested it and it had a few installation bugs (just as mine did) and works well. I am just following advice from some members of the U+1 testing team. The Mega upload site that I use is very slow to upload and download. I would hope there would be a Canonical site to upload to. Thye are other credible sites but have upload limits. I do not think sourceforge is the right place to upload ISO.

Regards…

Oh yes. I emailed Canonical Legal for permission for distro-remix of IP so I am waiting to hear from them. Good advice from jbicha. :slight_smile:

What about cdimage.ubuntu.com? I know, It can’t go into normal branches (only official flavors). But we could create a experimental branch and put iso under it (if Canonical permits it). For now it is not necessary to have daily build iso, we can do that later.

cdimage.ubuntu.com
    experimental
        UUbuntu/Releases/18.04
            unity7-amd64.iso

Other option is to use launchpad itself. We can host iso there but it won’t have a torrent download option.

I am in agreement with this, (if Canonical permits it). I am awaiting decision on permissions to distribute remix. This should come first. I also suggest we rename the remix to Unitybuntu/Releases/18.04 as "buntu’ is also trademark of Canonical. I tend to agree with Jeremy that UUbuntu might confuse some users.

I also agree with -

experimental
Unitybuntu/Releases/18.04
unity7-amd64.iso

Does anyone else think the Unitybuntu/ name is better than Uubuntu? Are there some other suggestions?

Thanks … regards…

I agree that best place for “experimental” ISO should be cdimage.ubuntu.com. Of course if Canonical would allow this. This is traceable source that would somehow convince all people that Unity flavour has future.

If we talk about naming we can make it “simple” like other official flavours (ubuntu-mate, ubuntu-budgie) or we can be somehow “original” but at the same time not to distant.
Maybe something like “Reunity-remix”, “Ubuntu-reunity”.

But all previously mentioned proposals (Ubuntu-Unity, Uubuntu or Unitybuntu) are absoultely acceptable. Naming is not main goal at the moment.

Beside testing of unity-session under “parent” 18.04, parallel testing with early ISO is absolutely preferable. Let’s face it - at the end majority of people would like to have clean ISO with Unity only for fresh 18.04. installation.

Best regards

I agree … the conventional wisdom tell us to use ‘ubuntu-unity’.

Regards…