Unity 7 Continuation - Call for Developers and Supporters!

Agreed. I was just throwing it up there :wink:

I would suggest rather than just getting together a list then polling. Get the list, talk to legal to make sure there’s no issues - then poll if that’s what you want to do.

Bear in mind if there’s a poll and you don’t like what the ‘people’ choose - hard place meet rock :wink:

@flocculant

I had already sent a mail to the list and had contacted CL (it’s been posted ) :slight_smile:

Which team leader khurshid and another member replied in the affirmative. So thats a quorum from the unity7 maintainer’s team. I am still awaiting to hear from CL. … so bases have been covered. I think it best to expedite this process so we can get rolling on this project. If you feel the community at large (non members of unity7 maintainers team) should be listed and polled then I certainly invite you to carry on and start a poll if you would like and, also, the current team would certainly be benefited with your expertise if you were to join the team and , of course that invitation goes out to all of the community.

Regards…

1 Like

Yes I know that. Since then you’ve had other suggestions, all I’m saying is that if you’re going to poll - ensure they are acceptable names. :man_shrugging:

if/when I hear from CL will let y’all know :family_man_woman_girl_boy:

Bionic_Unity7

What do you say?

2 Likes

Beautiful… but I’m not moving further until the above.

Thanks

OK about further work. What do you think about the name on the bottom of the login screen? Not the wallpaper.

Honestly thats the fly in the ointment right now. The ball is now in the court of Canonical Legal. I will not budge any further until I get a permission. If the community wants to create an off-Canonical distribution then it is free open source community and I wish them well.

Regards…

Edit: Some movement with CL.
Waiting for clarification. may take a little while.

Have you read this, https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DerivativeDistroHowto?

There are a lot of suggestions. What we do now is wait for CL and I will post results. if results affirmative then we Poll the community about a name (we already had a quorum) but I don’t want to leave anyone out. In the mean time we can just keep testing unity-session on 18.04.

Regards…

In the mean time or even continuously ?

What I want to say is,
maybe we could consider another direction about this project. Maybe a completely separate new flavor is not needed.
What if our primary goal changed from a new flavor to maintain Unity as a desktop environment, just keeping it active and in good shape in universal repositories ?

Just a thought.

The original Primary Goal WAS to have unity-session in the universe during 18.04 cycle . Through a lot of hard work by many in the community, that has been accomplished. The idea now is for the community to maintain it. That is being done behind the scenes by many who are intimate with the unity infrastructure and also our team leader , Khurshid. The secondary goal (which I sent group mail to Khurshid and other members of unity7 maintainers) is to have unity7 stable for those who are updating from 16.04 default to 18.04 when the time comes. As a team we hope to have something prepared in a back-up mode in case things go south. So I personally have no problem being in maintenance mode. However, it did occur to me that perhaps it would not be a bad idea to have an official unity-session derivative because of unity’s unique assistive/accessibility technology that covers a larger age group demographic than perhaps some of the other distros do. It is not that I think that the unity7 maintainers should compete at all with the other flavors that are already official distros, it is just that I think it would increase the scope of a wider accessibility for all of the community at large. Because of it’s simplicity and easy maintenance it may not necessarily create a drain of any sort within the development community once that it is all set up for green to go. At least the idea of experimenting with the concept certainly seems attractive to both testers an developers alike.

In closing I would like to say … Primary Goal accomplished! A new Goal of official unity7 derivative? perhaps maybe not too far fetched as a fallback. I guess it would depend on a sustained enthusiasm from the community.

Regards…

2 Likes

Hi Dale, all,

The goal of becoming an official flavour is the correct route to go down in my opinion. That will get you a whole host of extra goodness for free, above and beyond somewhere to host your ISOs. For example, inclusion in the ISO tracker QA platform:

I know that @3v1n0 and @Wimpress have offered their guidance in becoming an official flavour, and I add my name to that list too.

A formal ack from legal should be forthcoming and then we can kick off the next stage in the process. It should all be fairly painless.

Thanks for caring and for all of your efforts in keeping U7 working.

Cheers, Will

5 Likes

Nice news, indeed!
Unity, whether had love or hate made Ubuntu known to most, especially to the non-Linux users.

Correct, but we don’t know for sure if unity-session will make it as a package when the development cycle of 18.04 ends. Do we ?
Anyway, it was just a thought. I joined this project lately so forgive my ignorance about any already accomplishments - goals.

Yes. That is correct. What I have been told is, that if unity-session causes any problems it will be pulled! Period. I have also received affirmation from a Canonical for the U+1 team to “continue to test unity-session in 18.04?” and any other persons in the community in a response to my question - as so here we are now :slight_smile:

If I get permissions from CL then we can go from there. We can discuss the viability of going forward.

Regards…

Just to clarify. I am a volunteer only .

Joining on! I am a very amateur/beginner programmer, but I remember trying Unity back in the original Ubuntu 11.04 release. I will help where I can.

Just a few thoughts (more or less obvious):

• Unity 7 has probably run it’s course as a name, I agree with (someone) above who said “Unity 9” or similar would be a better name… if Ubuntu decides to allow us to use the “Unity” trademark (because this isn’t a fork, probably). We could have “Unity 9” for development, “Unity 10” stable release, and alternating odd/even (11 - development, 12 - release).
  • A Ubuntu “flavor” is a great idea, and will help keep Unity alive by far. I have successfully done Ubuntu remixes before.
  • Ideally, Unity 7 or 9 wouldn’t be just maintenance. We have had Unity 7 feeling mostly the same for the last several years - and while I admire that stability, it wouldn’t be a bad time for a little change to design. Not too much - it is still Unity after all - but, maybe, a different default theme, icons…

In terms of Design (where I take a strong interest):

• Perhaps it should be easier to replace the Ubuntu logo?
  • Move dock support?
  • Different theme/icons (probably the same Ubuntu 18.04 will ship with)…
  • The Dashboard (or home button) could probably be redesigned to be a little faster, easier to use, and not so fullscreen. I really, really like this concept:

Slide-out from the right is a little more modern and usable. [Credits: http://ubuntu.luxam.at/part-2-the-three-points-of-contact/]

Unity 7 is ideal for this type of concept (over GNOME), because it supports a sort of Dash already, that is far more flexible and… just, built for this sort of thing.

• Just, et citera. I mean, Unity 7 should have a future, not just maintenance. That is what I mean. I mean, when has anyone been excited about a desktop that hasn’t really changed it’s look in five years?
3 Likes

Very cool concept and ideas g.s.
Hopefully tweaking unity isn’t akin to insulting someone’s grandmother. Maybe with small steps like these Unity can be maintained and modernized.

Great stuff :slight_smile: