Ubuntu needs a system optimizer application

We all know, ubuntu become heavy after switched to gnome. It points to the need of a system optimizer application which can kill unnecessary processes, boost memory and check system errors. I am not aware about the technical difficulties behind it. But I hope an in-build utility application.

I think such optimizer applications are often snake oil, or at least inadequate.

We prefer to focus on measurable performance issues and improvements, and have some planned for Ubuntu 18.10 here:

So you won’t need an “optimizer”. Just wait until the optimizations have been completed :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Also, many performance issues are specific to a piece of software or hardware. So should log a bug about your problems on launchpad.net, to ensure we’re targeting the right issue.

1 Like

Very glad to hear that.

These optimizations will also available for Ubuntu 18.04.01  through update ?
1 Like

There is Stacer, which claims to optimize your PC. At least, cleans cache.

I tried Stacer in Ubuntu 17.10. Yes, it cleans cache, but…

My system hangs when I open some websites with intense graphics. May be hardware is inefficient. I don’t have any virtual machine or disk partitions. The one and only operating system on my computer is Ubuntu 18.04.

Consider it this way. Ubuntu developers look to providing the best experience by default. If there’s something that can be done to improve the experience for users, it doesn’t make sense to put it in a program that users can run; it makes more sense to just make the system install with that change in place already.

There may be specific things that you believe aren’t necessary for you that use resources, but we have to make something that works for everyone. For example: accessibility tools are available by default (I believe). It wouldn’t be appropriate to ship a program that just removes them.

There are Ubuntu flavours that focus on being light, and there are other distributions that go to longer lengths still. If you really want a stripped-down but customised installation, then these may be better options for you.

3 Likes

Gnome, Ubuntu and Communitheme are the best . These three have no substitutions.

Motive behind this topic is an article on the web which given below:-

Sometimes, when using computers, things go wrong. Not to the point of smoke coming out of the computer, but programs lock up, the desktop becomes unresponsive or things just slow down. Today we are going to take a look at some common annoyances and how to work around them.
Have you ever found yourself running a task that used up quite a lot of RAM and, after the task was completed, your Linux desktop was still slow for a while afterward? When you perform tasks that fill up your computer’s memory, such as opening a lot of web browser tabs, compiling large software projects or running a virtual machine, your operating system punts information it is not using right at that moment from memory into swap space. This is quite handy as it means your applications can continue to stay open while just using up space on your disk, not in precious RAM.
The downside to this scenario is when your memory intensive task is complete and RAM is once again available, the operating system doesn’t know if it should pull data from slow disk space, back into RAM. Maybe you want that memory for something else. Linux does not know if it should move data from swap back into memory until you try to use one of your already open applications. When you start clicking on open applications, the system needs to pause and pull that application’s data back in from swap and this makes the application respond slowly.
To get around having our applications lock up or stutter after they have been exiled to swap space, we can force Linux to flush swap, reloading all data back into RAM all at once. This takes a few seconds, but means no waiting for our already open applications to respond when we want to use them again. Flushing swap is pretty easy to do and just requires that we temporarily disable swap. With swap disabled, data is loaded back into memory automatically to prevent losing information. We can flush and disable swap with the swapoff command, run as the administrator:
swapoff --all
Later, if we want to use swap space again, perhaps leading up to performing another memory intensive task, we can re-enable swap space by running swapon:
swapon --all
To see what the current status of swap space is - whether it is enabled and how much swap space is occupied - we can run the following command:
swapon --show

1 Like

My system updated to Gnome 3.28.2. There is significant improvement in overall system performance.

I opened several websites which eats memory and used Four applications at a time. Now the system handle them pretty well.

System is booting Ten seconds earlier than before.

Thanks @vanvugt , @meetdilip and @rbasak for your valuable replies.

Thanks for Gnome team and Ubuntu developers.

1 Like