Try Color Emoji in 18.04

How to get it on LibreOffice?

Please file a bug against LibreOffice.

Maybe Joe (OMG Ubuntu) or Andrew (webup8) can set up a cairo PPA for Artful to get some wider (mainstream) testing?

2 Likes

Got it installed on my Dell Inspiron 14" last night. Going to be testing it out.

Yes please can we have an artful PPA or in the “testing” branch so we can try it!

@jyaku @jb27g12 Sorry, the color emoji feature requires major updates to the low-level cairo and fontconfig libraries so I’m not personally going to maintain a PPA for it.

If you want to try it out, just use Ubuntu 18.04 (still in early Alpha). I recommend testing in a virtual machine like VirtualBox.

It works like a charm!

Works good in terminal and file explorer!

How do I make it work with Firefox/Chrome/LibreOffice/all other software? Do they need to be patched/updated one by one?

2 Likes

Firefox, Chrome/Chromium, and LibreOffice all have separate font handling. A developer will need to add support in those apps.

By the way, here’s a status update. The Noto Color Emoji is now available in Debian (Testing and Unstable) and Ubuntu 18.04 “Bionic” Alpha. It is installed by default in Debian GNOME. I expect it to be added to the main Ubuntu flavor in January (for 18.04 to be released in April).

2 Likes

As of now, https://packages.ubuntu.com/bionic/fonts-noto-color-emoji is still in universe only, not in main.

I like that there is a easy emoji chooser available on right click, but a quick shortcut would be really great. Is there a shortcut already or a way to configure one?

1 Like

This is complete now. Today’s daily ISO build has the GNOME Characters app installed instead of the older Character Map app and Google’s Noto Emoji font is pre-installed.

2 Likes

@ben-8409 The next minor version of gtk3 is supposed to add Ctrl + . or Ctrl + ; as keyboard shortcuts for the emoji chooser.

3 Likes

Firefox Ubuntu package doesn’t ship the emoji fonts that are normally shipped by upstream tarballs. I’m not sure why.

Adding those (in /usr/lib/firefox/fonts/EmojiOneMozilla.ttf) is normally enough.

Chris Coulson might now more.

@3v1n0 That is fixed in Ubuntu’s Firefox 58. Ask Chris why Firefox 58 is in every Ubuntu release except 18.04. But beware he is trying to get someone else to maintain Firefox in Ubuntu!

(By the way, EmojiOneMozilla is different than the Noto font we’re using by default for the rest of the desktop but color emoji support in web browsers is complicated.)

1 Like

LibreOffice (current version and upcoming 6.0) doesn’t support color fonts.
Relevant bug reports:

1 Like

And a similar bug report for Chromium: https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=617379

1 Like

Is there a chance to have that distropatched?

When it’s implemented upstream, and if the patch is not too intrusive, that could be a candidate for distropatching indeed.

sudo apt remove fonts-emojione-svginot

no luck here on 18.04

@jbicha is it possible to toggle between monochrome and color emoji fonts somehow?
We currently face a problem with light notifications with have dark text on them. The emojis in messages are then colored dark, too.