Testing Unity7 during 18.04 cycle

Hello All,

Just trying out a new thread on this new community bright spark;) I would hope that we can test unity7 during the 18.04 cycle at ubuntuforums in UDV as well as here. To get an understanding of how to do some testing you can read a wiki I maintain. It is currently set for the artful cycle. I am awaiting the next naming convention so I can update the wiki. Well … here is the link for starters: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/U+1/tester-wiki

Regards…

2 Likes

Unfortunately we are not able to test unity7 /18.04 at ubuntuforums because apparently unity7 is not an official flavour and the admins are blocking any unity7 discussions so I would hope we can continue some testing here in this thread. If unity7 becomes an official flavor then we can test once again at ubuntuforums.

Regards…

Some teams may decide to organise themselves around official flavours, or specific narrow topics. However, as an individual you’re welcome to test whatever you like, whenever you like. It’s your time to spend, and you can choose what to spend it on.

While it may sound alarming that threads are being removed about Unity 7 discussions, I’d imagine that’s just to keep focus to what the team remit is?

1 Like

Thanks for your reply. I understand totally that focus is on gnome3 default. I asked Mark if he would like the U+1 team and the other forums members of UDV to continue testing unity7 alongside gnome3 during 18.04 cycle and he answered in the affirmative. Ubuntuforums is my home base so to speak. Anyways I was able to open a thread there in Linux OS Chat https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2374905 where developers and programmers @ Canonical can chime in if they like. Well…actually they would have to go through the log on process individually as the vbulletin board they are using does not offer the features such as this community board. Better still I would appreciate it if devs/progs chime in here at this thread on the community board. I am told from a good source that several developers are keen to help maintain unity7 .

I truly understand the resource situation. It just seems a shame to let unity fall off the edge of the earth. It is the best RSI reduction desktop experience on the planet and it has impressed itself on a lot of users in a very positive way, being very gentle to the mind and the eyes. Although I also understand the economic bean counting reality, I do not understand the logic of letting a popular and beautifully crafted piece of software deprecate into a mere shadow.

I will, however , do my best.

Regards…

1 Like

Just an add on here. I can see the light on all of this. Unity7 represents the hallmark of what Canonical is all about but it does wedge in the spirit of competition and this does in effect causes a tremendous drain on resources and contrarily causes a dis-unity within the community to some effect. It is ironic that we could not have both unity and harmony working in the same flowchart. :slight_smile:
Regards…

Unity 7 has been such an integral part of Ubuntu’s DNA for a long time that it would be hard to drop it entirely. People still use it and expect it to be around so we will do our best to ensure it continues to work going forward but I would encourage as much community involvement as possible, especially around testing.

5 Likes

Thank you for making my case for me :slight_smile: I will work a testing thread here as long as the admins allow it. I am awaiting for official codename of 18.04 so I can update the U+1 wiki.

Regards…

1 Like

I wasn’t a Unity user for quite a while, but when it hit me that Unity 7 might be not be there, I decided to install it as the only DE and test it in 17.10 (https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2367282) . I started liking Unity again. All of a sudden Unity 7 had become the underdog in Ubuntu forums, which is a pity. Anyway, I shall be moving the repos to 18.04 as soon as the development branch is open. Unity 7 is used as the working distro for 8-9 hours daily, not just trying out sporadically.

I have a strong feeling that Unity 7 wouldn’t have much trouble without Gnome-shell on board–Gnome-shell has a problem of balancing between Wayland/Xorg, while Unity 7 doesn’t have to.

Unity 7 is not being “blocked”. Some posts are being moved from UDV to other sub-forums or removed from public view because they are not directly related to a recognized Ubuntu flavor and thus are not within the context of the purpose of the main sub-forums of UF: to provide support for Ubuntu and its recognized flavors.

We have separate sub-forums for support requests and discussions about other Ubuntu-based distros as well as sub-forums for entirely different distros.

You are certainly free to test Unity. You are free to discuss Unity. But the UF is not meant to be a development round-table. Please be accurate about what you have been told and avoid promulgating misinformation.

Thanks.

You are speaking in a round-robin parable that has no merit (as you did in your former post at ubuntuforums) and now you are trying to carry that argument here and I respectfully request that you cease and desist from your machinations here in this forum.

Regards…

1 Like

Guys. Please don’t bring your pre-existing drama to this site, it’s not welcome. We do welcome constructive dialog, working on all flavours - and indeed all packages - that comprise the Ubuntu family.

1 Like

@popey,
Please accept my apologies…

Regards…

That’s the spirit!
We wouldn’t have come this far without Unity. We’d discuss, we’d even argue, but meritoriously, always being friendly and courteous to each other. :slight_smile: