Testing Unity Session in Eoan - Ubuntu 19.10

Already the first iso is out there, so let’s start testing Unity in Eoan…Might be sometime until the repos would work…

I would, of course, move the repos from disco to eoan in all my installs. Most probably won’t install any new isos any more, only upgrade them until they break down. Hope they won’t!

2 Likes

Already in eoan (19.10) now. Rebooted, working well. Let’s see how long Unity would hold on.
Hope you guys would have a go too.
Disco is now released, so have to move on. :slight_smile:

Remember by the way for everyone, you can test daily builds for this, Bionic, Xenial, and Trusty at iso.qa.ubuntu.com

They are old stuff, even Disco. Eoan will keep the interest on, until the next F… Fanimal would peek out. Everything is boring these days, actually.

Still have disco wallpaper. I like it!

1 Like

I think it’s time the default theme gets switched to Arc, since it’s highly unlikely the Yaru team will be able to dedicate effort in supporting Unity.

2 Likes

There’s no default theme for Ubuntu Unity, so there’s no problem. You can have any default theme. If by any chance, Yaru theme is there in the ppa, it should be taken off, @khurshid-alam.
I don’t even have the Yaru theme in the default Ubuntu, by default.

Ambiance/Radiance is the default theme for unity. Yaru needs unity styles and yaru icon theme needs monochrome panel icons. You can also use numix.

Unlike Arc, Numix doesn’t have a dark theme.

Right now, my current theme is Arc-dark with Suru++25 icon pack

@chanath I don’t see it in the Unity7Maintainers repo. BTW, there was actually a branch in the GitHub repo for Unity.

That’s what I thought, as @khurshid-alam mentioned, the default theme of Unity is Ambiance/Radiance. I forgot that. You can add any theme. There are hundreds out there in the 'net.

Right now, I am using a tweaked Mint-y-dark-sand theme. Icons are Newaita-dark

@khurshid-alam
I hope, you’d create an Unity7Maintainers ppa for eoan in time.

Happy to know Unity having hundreds of new themes there. That’s best

Just wondering, is your launcher set to auto-hide?

Yes, I always have launchers/docks set to autohide. An old habit. My screens are small, max 15", some 13". :slight_smile:

LOL 15" is small? XD

I’m going to try out Unity on 19.10 rather than waiting for 20.04 LTS nice work y’all.

I think it is time to drop Nautilus from the Ubuntu Unity and move completely to Nemo.

5 Likes

Unsure it’s the right place to comment about that but https://launchpad.net/bugs/1744619 needs to worked on for unity-control-center this cycle since upstream/Ubuntu are probalby going to drop that library

Anyone experiencing their screen going dark very quickly?

I thought it was because I wasn’t plugged in, but it also happens while I’m plugged in. My current settings is to turn off when inactive for 30 min

Doing well.
Some apps were upgraded.

bash bind9-host distro-info-data dnsutils fwupd fwupd-signed gcc-9-base
gparted language-selector-common language-selector-gnome libasan5 libatomic1
libbind9-161 libcc1-0 libcryptsetup12 libdns-export1104 libdns1104 libfwupd2
libgcc1 libgfortran5 libgomp1 libirs161 libisc-export1100 libisc1100
libisccc161 libisccfg163 libitm1 liblsan0 liblwres161 libntfs-3g883 libpci3
libquadmath0 libseccomp2 libstdc++6 libtsan0 libubsan1 libv4l-0
libv4lconvert0 ntfs-3g pciutils python3-distupgrade qtchooser rsyslog
sbsigntool strace tlp tlp-rdw ubuntu-release-upgrader-core
ubuntu-release-upgrader-gtk wget

Still at the beginning of the rolling…
Compiz with all its eye candy is doing well too. :smile:

Update: Along with u-c-c & u-s-d the ppa now contains a small update for indicator-appmenu (for this issue). Once I move the base of ubuntu-unity-desktop I will also put an update for that and unity.

One other similar issue
indicator-datetime Recommends geoclue-ubuntu-geoip which Depends on geoclue which is deprecated/has been removed from Debian/used the deprecated nm libs, the indicator should probably be ported to geoclue2 instead