Testing Unity Session in 19.04

It can be tested, only when you purge it, it’d break Unity. Or you’d have to keep on using it. Is it worth using it, or should we look at Nemo?

With that ppa, nautilus 3.30.4
Ubuntu desktop is gone on the top left corner. Right clicking on desktop don’t do anything.

Purged the ppa, and rebooted. The Ubuntu Desktop is there. Can right click on the desktop, add files/folders to it, but window borders, shadows around the windows are missing. Screeny below.

If you compare to the screeny on #29, you’d notice that the liveliness open window has gone. It is flat now.

Unity is much better with Nemo. Or, maybe you’d contact @fossfreedom about matching Active desktop with Unity.

2 Likes

We will probably use caja-desktop. Nemo brings too many dependencies and I am not sure they will take patches for unity.

Active-desktop has no concept of drawing background and depends on gnome-settings-daemon and mutter. But I suppose I can reach out.

Yes, Caja is quite all right.

Nothing to beat this look, is there?

No other Linux distro ever had it…the lovely curvy transparent borders…

For the moment, I am locking Nautilus 3.26.4…

Would any new DE get this kind of look? From its “menu?”

And, such a nice login screen…Ubuntu 19.04

2 Likes

Confirmed that DesktopFolder (the “ActiveDesktop” we [Ubuntu Budgie] looking very closely at for 19.04) with Unity will work:

You need to run DesktopFolder as follows:

env LD_PRELOAD="" desktopfolder 

or if you are using upstreams git master

env LD_PRELOAD="" com.github.spheras.desktopfolder

Screeny to show:

Note - looking to resolve vertical panel issues so that resolve icons hiding under the panel.

1 Like

DesktopFolder works, Nautilus is 3.30.4, but the cannot place a wallpaper. Used your ppa, and

env LD_PRELOAD="" desktopfolder

in /etc/xdg/autostart/com.github.spheras.desktopfolder.desktop
In the /usr/bin the exe file is desktopfolder

Clicking on Change Wallpaper opens Gnome Settings, not Unity’s System Settings. And that doesn’t work.

Working ok’ish here on 19.04 - ubuntu budgie ISO, installed ubuntu-unity-desktop followed by our PPA ppa:ubuntubudgie-dev/desktop-icons + desktopfolder package - reboot after making the autostart override below.

Copied the autostart file to ~/.config/autostart

Exec=sh -c 'env LD_PRELOAD="" desktopfolder'

Anyway - the wallpaper option is an easy 2 line fix for Unity. Panel resizing needs a fix for Unity. But in essence it seems to work ok.

If anyone wants to work on making desktopfolder fully Unity compatible then this is the issue upstream to volunteer and submit pull-requests against

1 Like

It works quite well with Ubuntu Budgie, Gnome. I have both on bare metal.
I tried your ppa again twice on Unity, after creating that autostart file. It still gives me a black screen and no wallpaper, same as in the #45 post. What might be the 2 line wallpaper option fix?

The desktop folder works in yours, maybe because you installed Unity over Ubuntu Budgie. What if you uninstall Budgie desktop after that?

EDIT: I just installed Unity over Ubuntu Budgie, but it still gives black screen.

And, a metallic voice keeps on speaking every time I touch anything with the cursor…Back again on Budgie, but that metallic voice is still there. Trying to get rid of it. No idea how to get rid of it.

Not going to experiment with Desktop Folders on Unity 19.04 any more. Would await a new unity ppa.

Yeah. Uninstalling budgie still works just fine in unity.

So don’t know what is wrong with your setup.

The two line fix is the bottom of this file where a "if unity then " type declaration is needed

https://github.com/spheras/desktopfolder/blob/master/src/widgets/DesktopWindow.vala

OK, maybe I’d try again sometime. But, what’s with that speech-dispatcher, that got activated in Budgie, after installing Unity?

Sorry. No idea.

Odd thing to be installed by default by unity.

The black background is due to the gtk3nocsd package. The worrying thing is that it is installed by default … but also impacts all other desktops like budgie.

Really if unity insists on using this package it should not impact any other environment unless explicitly requested.

I am install from mini.iso ubuntu 19.04 Don´t install any DE (lubuntu, xubuntu, kubuntu, etc) after user and install sudo add-apt-repository ppa:unity7maintainers/unity7-desktop && sudo apt install ubuntu-unity* wait only and reboot all fine for me.
Now remove for me nautilus, firefox, totem, rhythmbox, thunderbird, etc…
I hope install nemo, firefox-esr, melloplayer, unity-mail.
This guide help is method I did.

Those, who have UEFI systems should use the iso from here.

But, installing from mini.iso or server iso would have problems of using wifi, so it is better to install a derivative, and install ubuntu-unity-desktop over it, and uninstall that DE and remove the rest of it – less work.

1 Like

Nemo 3.8.5 taking over the desktop in Unity 19.04. It can’t change the desktop by right clicking on the desktop – not a big deal – it can be done through Appearance.

Used Embrosyn’s PPA for Cosmic. Thanks!
Quite naturally, he’d update it to disco in time.

Dual panel view, type-ahead search, sidebar tree view, in-place rename and a few other useful features goes missing in newer Nautilus.

@khurshid-alam, @mc3man and all Unity users…

2 Likes

Thank I am user laptop with UEFI disable over problems wifi I did my phone how to user usb tethering o connect for rooter.
I sorry for not writer over don’t connect wifi this type install in mode text.

Users you use vlc will be disappointed in the fullscreen behavior in a unity session. When the cursor is moved to expose the fullscreen controller the unity panel & launcher will also appear.
Caused by some commit between 3.0.3 & 3.0.4, also affects 18.04, never tried in16.04 with newer vlc as I hardly use it. (vlc that is…

Full screen VLC. Unity Launcher autohidden. I also have compiz full eye-candy working too. I am giving Unity 19.04 quite a hard time, and it is not failing…yet.

I’ll retry vlc in 19.04, but what you’re showing is not fullscreen, it’s a maximized window

Sorry, I pasted the wrong screeny. F11>fullscreen

By the way, @mc3man would you look at Embrosyn’s PPA? Anything you can add to Nemo for Unity?

You need to be playing a video in fullscreen, then when exposing the fullscreen controller both the unity panel & launcher will come up