Testing unity-session in 18.04

If you are using lightdm (or possible nvidia) you have to use gdm3. Unity will not log on to wayland. err … yes … as you know :slight_smile: with lighdm.

1 Like

Here is a video with a few Unity bugs (some already mentioned ITT)
https://youtu.be/1Fzm2ZdchKM

You have right. Thanks for the Info. I knew it, read it somewhere, but I forgot it.
I wanted a full Ubuntu Unity experience with the old good looking LightDM (unity-greeter), but you have right about Wayland session it is not working through LightDM.

This is where there may be a demarcation line in this development cycle. By Feb the devs will be looking to focus on gdm3 as the default. I had heard mention that lightdm may be done away with. I have to be honest … this is one scenario that I can’t crystal ball.

regards…

UI related bugs are in-progress. Nautilus bug is probable this one : https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=860796

1 Like

Another test: https://community.ubuntu.com/t/testing-of-laptop-lid-close-suspend-behavior-in-unity-18-04/1470

A file manager maybe user

A file manager maybe user

I think would like application unity 8 maybe help ubport i see ubuntu file manger, ubuntu music app, dekko and ubuntu terminal.

As big of a Unity 8 fan as I am, I don’t think adding Qt dependencies in the Ubuntu desktop should be an option. Otherwise, we would probably be using Dolphin right now, as Dolphin seems more compatible with Unity 7 than the current Nautilus (it works with both Global Menu and LIM) and I’ve seen it running under Unity 8 too with LIM (though Unity 8 is a Qt desktop). I thought what we are doing here is testing Unity 7 with the default apps in the Ubuntu default .iso and hunt for bugs / glitches.

All the Unity 8 apps are great, I might help Ubports after we make 18.04 Unity a good, non-broken LTS. Even now, I’m currently ultra part-time tester here.

1 Like

Gentle Reminder:

This thread is for Unity 7 testing toward near-term (18.04) deployment.
Lets all try to stay on-topic in this thread.

Other topics, while interesting and worthwhile to dicuss, are a distraction in this thread.
Please open a new thread for discussion of future Unity 7 concepts, or Unity 8 concepts.

4 Likes

I was testing the latest build from Dec. 27 /17 on a touch device Acer mobile laptop. It worked perfectly with workspaces enabled and i could drag apps through the screens but then it booted into modesetting and now compiz workspaces will lock up. Otherwise it works very well with standard desktop.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_eL4vb17GQ4&feature=youtu.be

I’m seeing almost no issues to date with unity in 18.04 though it’s still early.
One issue is likely not just on unity though more easily exposed. It’s that some menu dropdown options are light until moused over, can be seen in ccsm pretty easily. But I’ve also seen in default 18.04 like in a debconf popup about which version to keep…

What is an issue is that alt+print does not work properly, here it either prints the entire desktop or the hud command box.
I’ve a local fix by integrating gnome-screenshot -w as a compiz command, binding command to alt+print & disabling alt+print in gnome-settings-daemon.
A more proper fix would be good.

Just a reminder… we can now install unity with;

sudo apt-get install ubuntu-unity-desktop

which is now the meta in universe.

I’m not sure that unity-session is still available in universe. I’ll check.

3 Likes

@mc3man

I believe you filed a bug on this ?

Regards…

The old issue is back. The new bug is this:

Workaround:

1. press and hold Print Screen
  2. press and hold Alt
  3. release Print Screen (and then Alt)

This seemed to work for me, but it shouldn’t be necessary.

This could be systemd issue. What happens you disable the “Magic SysRq Key” using sudo sysctl -w kernel.sysrq=0. Does it work for you?

This also has something do with 1683383 (key press vs key release) where Ubuntu removed 5 years old patch from xorg.

2 Likes

The keybinding deal works, here it’s just press & hold print, press & hold alt, release print
Thw sysrq one does not.

what has disappeared is some or all notifications. Most obvious is mouse over volume indicator, then use scroll wheel to raise or lower volume. No notify overlay…

I can’t reproduce this. Is notify-osd installed? If it is try to restart the process.

@mc3man
My Bionic Unity with your ppa bionic-prop works pretty well with Nemo, and without Nautilus (uninstalled). Unity Tweak is there and with full Compiz eye-candy. Hope you’d keep that ppa upgraded. Thanks! :slight_smile: