Testing unity-session in 18.04

Actually unity tweak tool is still in the repo and it still works, just tried it here…

Maybe for some of the functions, UTT works, but it didn’t for the “Minimize” function I was asking about.

That did it, thank you!

Note: change seemed immediate, didn’t seem to need a reboot.

You may be right. I just use UTT to change icon themes and font size, for all other things I use the ccsm.

So I’ve been using Unity + Caja for a couple of weeks now and I can say the combination works just fine.

One issue however is the Rubbish Bin icon on the panel - it opens Nautilus no matter what - I have indeed set up the system to default to caja (xdg-mime default caja.desktop inode/directory application/x-gnome-saved-search )

Hey there, I just threw Unity in my 18.04 install. Everything seems to be working just fine at this point, I haven’t run into any issues. I am not a coder but am interested in helping test and any admin type stuff that may be needed.

Otherwise I will just follow this thread and help out where I can. Thanks for keeping her alive.

Cheers,
Tim

1 Like

I LOVE UNITY DE
ME ENCANTA UNITY DE
https://unity-desktop.org/#
better install from live .iso

1 Like

I think I have spotted a bug. When the super key is pressed down the expected behaviour is to show a list of keyboard shortcuts. But this doesn’t appear if workspaces is enabled in System settings > Appearance > Behaviour. If workspaces is disabled, keyboard shortcuts list shows again.

This was not the case in 16.04

Fresh install of Ubuntu 18.04 release iso, then installed unity with the maintainer ppa.

Who is the author of this website? Please send me a PM.

I believe, it is done by @gamunu. He wrote sometime ago. Maybe, the best way to contact him is through his github page.

Hello, I was little bit busy last few days. Didn’t notice the notification.

Previously I was using ubuntu 16.04 (unity desktop). After release of 18.04, I installed it fresh on my laptop. While installing, I had chosen the option ‘sign-in automatically’. After installing 18.04, I install unity desktop environment with command ‘sudo apt install ubuntu-unity-desktop’. I had chosen lightdm as default display manager. When I restarted my laptop, it shows me login screen with lightdm display manager. In settings option, under user details section ‘sign-in automatically’ option is still showing on. How can I disable login screen every time? Not sure, if this is a bug in unity/ubuntu &/or should I report it somewhere.

I have activated them too and the shortcuts are shown but I think I have activated them through unity-tweak-tool. Install it and try it from there. Might be a bug in the settings.

Have you tried to deactivate and reactivate the setting? If this isn’t working open the unity-greeter settings with an editor and add it there. You can do this by:

sudo gedit /usr/share/lightdm/lightdm.conf.d/50-unity-greeter.conf

It should look like this:

[Seat:*]
greeter-session=unity-greeter

Just change it like that:

[Seat:*]
greeter-session=unity-greeter
autologin-user=username

where ‘username’ has to be changed to your username, for example tejasbhagwat. Save the file and reboot.

No difference with UTT

Thank you chanath i hope khurshid-alam see you information.

Thanks mrprobot. The first trick worked. I deactivated and reactivated the setting & now I am able login automatically without getting sign-in window. Thanks once again.

Maybe it’s an issue with the maintainers ppa, cause I don’t have it. You could try to remove the ppa with ppa-purge or maybe reinstall without adding the ppa. You won’t need it, just install Unity with ubuntu-unity-desktop and you’re fine.

@tejasbhagwat
No problem!

Deactivating and reactivating worked for me too. Thanks.

Thanks to the Devs who are keeping Unity 7 alive in Ubuntu 18.04. I have been enjoying using it after installing a clean minimal install of the 18.04 iso and running sudo apt install ubuntu-unity-desktop ! Thus far, everything is working just fine. I did additionally install the extra compiz configuration packages and unity tweak tool and synclient package for my laptop, but those were just for fine-tuning purposes for my own usage.

Here’s to more Unity 7 in the Linux and Ubuntu world! Keep up the great work! Still working great 1 month later!

6 Likes