Testing unity-session in 18.04

Hi everybody, I’m a bit lost, I love Unity7 and want to use it. I’m currently still running Ubuntu 17.04 as that’s the last version shipping with it. However it is not supported anymore so I need to use something else. How can I upgrade keeping Unity7? I’m fine with using Alpha software. Will Unity7 be an official Ubuntu flavor? Is that iso which will turn to that flavor? Or is Unity still available in 17.10 even if not “official”? What should I do? I don’t want to roll back to 16.04.

We are not official flavor yet but unity session is available in the repo. You can install it using sudo apt-get install ubuntu-unity-desktop. But better way is to install from that iso. Our iso will be updated soon.

I just upgraded to 17.10 as the Unity session is still available there. It’s also stated that unity will still be available in 18.04, so what’s the difference between your image and the current 18.04 maintained by Canonical?

Version 18.04 will have how much support time? 9 months or more as variants that are 3 years old?

@initu-icr Here you can get the information about Ubuntu releases:

Thanks, @nickthom

Link corrupted.

Correct = https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Releases

1 Like

you can upgrade to 17.10, unity is still available there and works fine except for a couple of little issues with screenshot hotkeys.

Is it possible to become an official flavor in this version 18.04 or only in version 18.10?

Hello!
I’ve installed Ubuntu Unity from the ISO image and I update it few days ago. It works good but have some problems:

It has double menu bar (at the top menu bar and the app window)

and the user’s full name not appeared at the menu bar even when the options has been checked (II use Indonesian locale)

Looks like the com.canonical.indicator.sessions is missing.

I can’t reproduce this. Check your settings->appearance if LIM is enabled. Is this happening only for gtk2 apps?

Check if your language pack is installed. It also needs reboot.

The schema path is /apps/indicator-session

Hi, I noticed changing background doesn’t change the background for unity-greeter. Can anyone confirm here?

Yes, that is the case. This has been true for quite some time, it uses the file /usr/share/backgrounds/warty-final-ubuntu.png no matter what one does.
If you replace that file with a new pic then the greeter will use the new pic.

No. That wasn’t the case on bionic several updates ago (or with ubuntu-unity-amd64.iso) at-least for single user.

I think It has something to do with permissions. For example with latest g-c-c 3.28 creates ~/.cache/gnome-control-center/backgrounds/ with root. These settings are also important

gsettings set com.canonical.unity-greeter draw-user-backgrounds true
gsettings set org.gnome.settings-daemon.plugins.background active true

But even after fixing permission the issue exists. Though /var/lib/AccountsService/users/ properly shows the backgrounds section.

I have started experiencing this problem since updating gnome components to 3.28

I’ve seen this for quite some time though maybe because I don’t use nautilus to handle desktop was a factor…
Certainly doesn’t work now.
As far as dconf/gsettings for unity-greeter, those are useless from a user standpoint & have been for long time

Lightdm is the the problem. https://github.com/CanonicalLtd/lightdm/issues/11

Changing the background in 17.10 does change the background in lightdm, for the record.

I’ve been putting off upgrading to bionic beta as I’m a bit confused of what to expect in terms of migration from 17.10 and unity, and I use this laptop for work. Will we need to add a PPA, or are you guys testing the packages in the universe repo?

I LOVE

I LIKE TO RETURN UBUNTU ONE

I’m a bit confused because the ISO apparently uses PPA packages but the ones in universe should be tested, yep! :slight_smile:

I CAN´T ENTER