Testing unity-session in 18.04

Hi All,

This thread is to test unity-session during the 18.04 cycle. All testers are welcome. If you are a serious tester it is good to have an extra machine or hard drive on hand because testing can often times cause breakage. If you need some preliminary instruction on how to test you can read up in the wiki I maintain: U+1/tester-wiki - Ubuntu Wiki

I’ll be back with more :slight_smile:

11 Likes

At the moment there is not much we can do until the codename for the new LTS is published and then shortly after, the toolchain can be downloaded and perhaps the base files … etc… but it will be slow going for a while.

Regards…

@ Dale,
Have look at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YiOeLiegA-k&feature=youtu.be
https://sourceforge.net/projects/unity7sl/

Maybe its an inspiration…

I also posted this to Khurdish in the other thread.

Yes I had seen that when you posted it in another thread. We are not testing remix here, we are testing unity-session on the next cycle.

Regards.

Oh, it’s not a “remix,” even though it says so, it is the same Ubuntu, but without Gnome-shell, gdm, gnome-session, ubuntu-desktop, ubuntu-session. Other than that nothing is changed. So, it is unity-session.

Great to see this initiative. If issues are found, are there members able/willing to look at them? Also, is VM good enough for testing?

I understand that. Well , you and I both created an ISO with just unity on it and if you would like to test that here then please feel free to do so in this forum but I think the goal for testing should be we test unity-session alongside of gnome3. We know now that wayland will not be default. xorg will be default so perhaps unity-session could be a fallback mode or even official flavor.

I personally do no use VMs to test the ISOs. I have enough hardware and hdds to test live ISOs and complete installed systems. But I know a lot of people tested using VMs during the 17.10 cycle with not too many problems.

2 Likes

Correct. VMs are not for serious testing. Someone can use them to see new features, the DE …etc.
Bare metal is needed for testing, IMHO.

I saw Testing Unity7 during 18.04 cycle. I think it’s pretty much the same. Am I right? is this a duplicate thread?

I didn’t know that Wayland would not be the default. Glad to know that. I just wrote about Wayland may not be default in the U+1 forums, before reading your post here. I deduced that you can’t give the enterprise users an LTS distro, where they have to do workarounds. Some crucial apps don’t work in Wayland, and you can’t ask people not to use Nvidia.

To make Unity an official flavour you have to make a working iso, publish it somewhere and prove that there are people, who’d use it happily. That’s how Ubuntu-Gnome came about, Ubuntu-Budgie came about, and all the other derivatives. There is one plus for Unity, as it was the default Ubuntu distro for so long, and 16.04 is still there.

Could you cite your source for this belief that wayland will be reverted to xorg for 18.04? In 17.10 it is default so rolling back to xorg is counter to everything Ubuntu have stated about the next cycle.

2 Likes

Yes , it is. I am thinking the threads will be merged at some point.

Consider the source …

http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2017/10/ubuntu-18-04-name-speculation

[quote]
The nature of LTS releases mean we can expect minor and conservative changes to what’s on offer in Ubuntu 17.10, rather than bold new features. But 18.04 is likely to include a new GTK theme, and revert to using Xorg as default (though Wayland will, we hear, still be installed as an option).[/quote]

They have been fairly accurate in the past… no?

is not the same thing as

notwithstanding @ads20000’s comment above, it is worth also noting that omgubuntu is neither authoritative nor in this case relaying an official message from the project. That paragraph is entirely speculative and has no basis upon which to be cited as fact.

I was just passing on a reportage here. I never specifically said that I accept it as true or false. Thats up to the reader to make that determination - but it is still a source of reportage and thats what was asked of me to reference_link.

Regards…

Wayland was shipped with 17.10 so the user base could test it’s viability in order to gauge it’s quality with lots of users. “If” it remains fit it will be default in 18.04.

The jury is still out. :slight_smile:

Hi,

Nautilus does not use headerbar on Unity. But the patch was removed in 17.10 release. I updated the patch and compile nautilus 3.26.x and uploaded to my ppa.

https://launchpad.net/~khurshid-alam/+archive/ubuntu/unity7-testing

How to test:

1. Add my ppa and update nautilus.

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:khurshid-alam/unity7-testing
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install nautilus

2. Reboot and login to unity-session.

3. Check if it is using traditional titlebar and working well.

4. Log out and log in to ubuntu (both xorg and wayland) and check if it is using headerbar.

5. Report back here if you have any issue.

If everything goes well, I will make a merge request. Thanks.

Note: If you have nvidia and if the desktop crashes on wayland, then it’s not a nautilus issue. Just skip testing on wayland.

1 Like

ventrical@ventrical-System-Product-Name:~$ inxi -Fxz
System:    Host: ventrical-System-Product-Name Kernel: 4.13.0-16-generic x86_64
           bits: 64 gcc: 7.2.0
           Desktop: Gnome  (Gtk 3.22.24-0ubuntu1) Distro: Ubuntu 17.10
Machine:   Device: desktop Mobo: ASUSTeK model: P5B-E v: Rev 1.xx serial: N/A
           BIOS: American Megatrends v: 1807 date: 04/15/2009
CPU:       Dual core Intel Core2 Duo E8400 (-MCP-) 
           arch: Penryn rev.6 cache: 6144 KB
           flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 ssse3 vmx) bmips: 11980
           clock speeds: max: 2995 MHz 1: 2995 MHz 2: 2995 MHz
Graphics:  Card: NVIDIA GF119 [GeForce GT 610] bus-ID: 01:00.0
           Display Server: x11 (X.Org 1.19.5 )
           drivers: nouveau (unloaded: modesetting,fbdev,vesa)
           Resolution: 1440x900@59.89hz
           OpenGL: renderer: NVD9 version: 4.3 Mesa 17.2.2 Direct Render: Yes
Audio:     Card-1 Intel 82801H (ICH8 Family) HD Audio Controller
           driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:1b.0
           Card-2 NVIDIA GF119 HDMI Audio Controller
           driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 01:00.1
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k4.13.0-16-generic
Network:   Card: Qualcomm Atheros Attansic L1 Gigabit Ethernet
           driver: atl1 v: 2.1.3 bus-ID: 03:00.0
           IF: enp3s0 state: up speed: 100 Mbps duplex: full mac: <filter>
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 40.0GB (22.7% used)
           ID-1: /dev/sda model: WDC_WD400BD size: 40.0GB
Partition: ID-1: / size: 37G used: 8.5G (25%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda1
RAID:      No RAID devices: /proc/mdstat, md_mod kernel module present
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 34.0C mobo: 35.0C gpu: 37.0
           Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: 4245 psu: 0 sys-1: 0 sys-2: 0
Info:      Processes: 187 Uptime: 6 min Memory: 885.8/3004.4MB
           Init: systemd runlevel: 5 Gcc sys: 7.2.0
           Client: Shell (bash 4.4.121) inxi: 2.3.37 
ventrical@ventrical-System-Product-Name:~$ 

it does not seem to work. Let me try my intel box.