Test daily/current ubuntu-unity-amd64.iso

No. It installs ubuntu-standard after you change the sources list and sudo apt-get update, sudo apt-get dist-upgrade.

Thanks!
Iā€™ll read the links to try to get the hang of it.

We have to use terminal with mini-iso. That was not made clear ā€¦ but I had done this before during 12.04 dev ā€¦ so I am in progress install those packages. Very tedious at the terminal :slight_smile:

As you are good at coding, once you do all the steps in the terminal, you could make a bash script to get the work done in one shot.

I manually entered the files Khurshid had proposed into terminal on mini.iso and we got a good-to-go unity desktop on bionic. I left some of the files like libre. totem, thunderbird, simple scan ā€¦ etcā€¦ and it it working just swell from start to stop,

The network indicator is not working etcā€¦ small stuff like that. So we are very close to meta_package. Typing from this new installā€¦

4 Likes

Good work!
Mini iso works only in MBR, so you may have to try the server iso too just to check how things are. Actually the live/install part is out of the squashfs-root section. This part, you can get off the normal iso.

I have created ubuntu-unity-meta source here: https://launchpad.net/ubuntu-unity-meta
Source code (git): https://code.launchpad.net/~unity7maintainers/ubuntu-unity-meta/+git/ubuntu-unity-meta
PPA (Binary): https://code.launchpad.net/~unity7maintainers/+recipe/ubuntu-unity-meta-daily

After adding ppa, you can simply install unity desktop with sudo apt-get install ubuntu-unity-desktop. The version number is same as ubuntu-desktop. Later, I will write a small wiki how to contribute with launchpad git. For the time being you can look at https://help.launchpad.net/Code/Git.

Note: If you look at update.cfg in the source code, seed_base url points to bzr+ssh://bazaar.launchpad.net/~unity7maintainers/ubuntu-seeds/ which obviously doesnā€™t exist at the moment.

Also we may later moved unity development (if started) to github as @3v1n0 pointed out in other thread but, for now I prefer Launchpad.

3 Likes

Hmmā€¦Could it be the issue with kernel or ethernet? Does wifi work? Or may be we are missing something elseā€¦What does log say?

First, I am glad that finally a meta-package had arrived as a ppa. Now, you, Dale, Trevino, Will and others can get together there to discuss matters. I like the idea of github too.

Maybe this link should also be shown here, https://code.launchpad.net/~unity7maintainers/+archive/ubuntu/unity7-desktop as it is usually hard to find where the ppa is in Launchpad. Maybe, the heading should changed from "Unity 7 Testing ā€œUbuntu-Unity-18.04ā€ or "ā€œUbuntu-Unity-18.04-Testingā€ so it would clearly tell people,what they are getting. Also, when you are making the wiki, donā€™t put in the standard line ā€œthis unstable ppaā€¦ā€ People, who try it would be those, who are not afraid to try.

I did not install all the files. Just the ones that would get it up and running so perhaps there is something there. havenā€™t tested it on wireless or lappy. Iā€™ll check on it later.

I think we will be fine in launchpad.

We need more clarity here. Do you mean on exitisting 18.04 install or are you talking about the mini.iso ??

Khurdish,

Could you please instruct testers on how to install this ppa?

Thank you.

For both. If a user wants to install unity from mini.iso, he would simply installs ubuntu-unity-desktop. However when you are building live iso from mini iso, installing it is not enough. You will still require language-packs, modify ubiquity and other stuff.

Sure.

Instruction:
If you are using default ubuntu (18.04) or ubuntu-minimal (mini.iso), you can get whole unity desktop by typing following in terminal:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:unity7maintainers/unity7-desktop
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install ubuntu-unity-desktop

When prompted choose lightdm as default display manger. Then reboot and login to unity and check everything works as it used to be. If you think a certain package is missing or needs to be updated, file a bug in OpenID transaction in progress

Our original goal is to move it to universe so that users do not have to add a ppa.

OK. Thank you . First steps to becoming official flavor :slight_smile:

Thank you for your prompt attention in this matter.

Regardsā€¦

Would be interesting to have an additional ppa to get all the needed packages, whatever thatā€™s necessary create a complete working install of ubuntu-unity from the mini.iso. At the moment, there is no 18.04 mini iso, would the present ubuntu-unity ppa change the repo in sources.list from artful to bionic?

Or would the present ppa build the unity 7 desktop on mini.iso as bionic?

If I understand this correctly,
Launchpad already has git integration if this is what you mean.

https://code.launchpad.net/~unity7maintainers/ubuntu-unity-meta/+git/ubuntu-unity-meta

@khurshid-alam

(In the Launchpad, add sudo apt-get install ubuntu-unity-desktop)

This ppa installs ubuntu-unity desktop on a minimal install, but if you have already some derivative itā€™d install all, that is, including the apps you may have already, such as Libreoffice. So, my question about a ppa with the minimal amount of apps only unity relative without those additional apps, one might have.

What happens when you try sudo apt-get install --no-install-recommends ubuntu-unity-desktop ?

It should work. But more proper way is another meta-package like ubuntu-unity-minimal

No-install-recommends works. Not many people are going to use it.

It would be nice to have a distro like in Debian, the netinstall. Probably, people had become lazy with ready made distros, so most might not try it that way. Mini.iso canā€™t be used with UEFI system without a workaround. The best is to create the ubuntu-unity install by the team, using the meta-package and clean it up from any residue packages, release the iso to all available portals, so itā€™d get lot of advertisement. Have a separate web site too. And, announce it at Distrowatch.