Test daily/current ubuntu-unity-amd64.iso

Khurshid,

We are not currently in active development.
2nd. I am awaiting further affirm from CL.

Please describe the name of the branch you specifically want opened.

I think we both have same access. If not could you please paste which code you would like me to enter in terminal?

Thanks

Yes… I am studying these.

Yes, notify-osd is not in unity-session meta package. That’s why Unity Tweak is asking it to be installed.

Even though Ubuntu-Gnome as a derivative is not available, the meta-package is maintained, so I could install vanilla-gnome-desktop yesterday thanks to @jdtanner (Restoring Ubuntu Gnome experience in 17.10, reference steps - #16 by jdtanner - Desktop - Ubuntu Community Hub)

It should be the binary ubuntu-unity-desktop

I updated the links with some new modification.

I removed checkbox-converged and unity8 related packages from desktop.
I modified desktop-recommends with short comments. Some more modifications are required.

The branch should be like others lp:~unity7maintainers/ubuntu-seeds/ubuntu-unity.bionic
But this can happen only for official flavors. So when Unity becomes official flavor, it will require it’s own desktop meta package and this is what we should do then.

Ah. Yes you are right. I do have access. Ok then I will push a branch soon, which we use will later to generate ubuntu-unity-desktop (in universe).

Once we have that we can create our live iso from minimal.iso. We simply load minimal iso in cubic and install ubuntu-unity-desktop. We don’t need to deal with unwanted packages like gdm3, gnome-shell etc.

:+1::+1::+1::+1::+1:

Thank you . I assumed this correctly then.

This is exactly what I thought. In the meantime the .ISO at PeopleUbuntuCom works very well. I have not had a fail yet. When we get more news of official flavor we can do this.

unity-session (#it will pull ubuntu-session as well ?)

No . ubuntu-session came with gnome-shell or gdm3 so it has to be removed manually. We cannot have ubuntu-session in there because it will put login options (gnome-shell on xorg) in the.
greeter.

I would like you to consider this idea:

If we use gnome-meta , remove gdm3, ubuntu-desktop, ubuntu-session , then, rename it and use that file for now else there could be breakage with depends. It has worked very well in cubic in #chroot. I am only mentioning this so as we do not have to create extra work for ourselves. We can always modify the meta includes and recommends as the development progresses.

Correct me if I am wrong but there has been a lot of changes during 17.10 cycle and unity-session is very dependent on gnome blocks so we want unity and gnome components working together harmoniously atm . If you think your current edit of the meta package you have created will suffice then we I can build an ISO and test it. But perhaps your suggest will eliminate a lot of work.

This meta package would install the desired ubuntu-unity-desktop on the mini.iso installation. The installation won’t have ubiquity and relevant packages. It also won’t have the live installation part of the iso. That has to be created separately.

When remastering the downloaded iso, you just used that part from that iso without change, maybe some small changes.

I don’t want to get the cart before the horse here so lets be patient. The meta package should be developed over time. I think it is wise that we lean on gnome components . We still have to wait for clarity to affirm. That’s my bad for not documenting one of my assumptions in a timely manner and why I suggest we just sandbox our ideas out here for now. :slight_smile:

@khurshid-alam

How much of desktop-recommends-amd64 can be passed to desktop-amd64 to get just a minimal Unity experience? I mean without games, libreoffice, some fonts, cheese, evince, gedit, shotwell, transmission, thunderbird, totem, rhythmbox, ubuntu-software, etc. All these apps can be installed later on.

Khurshid,

Could you paste a link for the correct mini.iso I need to download.

That’s what I did. I modified ubuntu-meta instead of gnome-meta. But neither of them have unity listed and also the order is important. I added those in desktop-amd64. But that’s just amd64, We still need to test this for i386 and s390x. The branch i talked about is in wip.

Yes.

You can find it here:
http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/netboot/artful/

But it’s only available for releases. Also you need an Ethernet. So if you wana give a try, first install it, create a user, then change it to bionic, install ubuntu-standard, then you can start installing packages one by one mentioned in desktop-amd64 and desktop-recommends-amd64. If unity starts after that then we can assume those packages are correct. The difference will be few gnome related packages which comes with default iso.

After that we can concentrate on ubiquity and unity branding. But all these requires only if Unity becomes official flavor. Atm, default.iso+cubic is probably most simple method to create our iso.

1 Like

Yes you can filter those (or any apps) out. But rest of the packages (gnome-keyring, policykit-desktop-privileges etc) are required for even minimal Unity.

Do you know how to create a meta package? If so, can you tell how?

@dale-f-beaudoin

You’ve asked a question about suspend on lid closing. I don’t find any problems in having the laptop suspending and waking up clearly after in both your ubuntu-unity and my Bionic Unity install (https://community.ubuntu.com/t/unity-7-continuation-call-for-developers-and-supporters/736/123). It just goes to sleep and wakes up.

That was Khurshid who asked that question.

There is no ubuntu-standard in the install list. There is Basic -ubuntu-server? but all the rest are Mate , Budgie … etc…

edit: Chose Basic-ubuntu-server for now.
edit: ubuntu-standard gets installed automagically after /sources/list change to bionic, apt-get update apt-get dist-upgrade.
Have to start over with different machine.

If the mini.iso already have ubuntu-standard installed, then you only need to upgrade it.

Normally you can do that with a simple debain/control where package a depends on package b. But Ubuntu uses germinate to do that. It simplifies the entire process from generating meta packages to auto-build live iso with all necessary packages.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Germinate
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/SeedManagement
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuStudio/Seeds
http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/wily/man1/germinate-update-metapackage.1.html