Status of the top icons?

Hello,

Can someone help me understand the status of the top icons in 17.10?

• Kstatus Notifier which seems to be the new default for 17.10 shows an error for me
  • Top icons are legacy, not maintained anymore and icons are not all same size
  • Ubuntu AppIndicators is enabled but is not showing icons. Hence not a replacement for top icons?

Thank you for clarifying this! :slight_smile:

Screenshot-20171011123807-476x33!

We are only supporting this officially as you saw it’s our default. If you have some errors on it, please report a bug with the error message so that we can know and fix it :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@didrocks thanks for your prompt reply! Just finished uploading the other images.

I don’t know more about the error as the thing shown in the screenshot.

How can I find out more?

Note: you don’t need to try enabling KStatusNotifierItem: as you see, you have “Ubuntu AppIndicators” which is a light fork on this one, and not in error. I think enabling both is resulting in an error. You can safely remove the extra one you installed.

More info on https://didrocks.fr/2017/08/23/ubuntu-gnome-shell-in-artful-day-7/

1 Like

Hey, thanks!

So, I removed Kstatus, disabled top icons and kept AppIndicators enabled but now the icons shown in the above screenshot (WhatsApp, Skype, etc) are no longer shown.

Did I do anything wrongly?

Some should, some shouldn’t. I don’t have the list of applications supporting Appindicator and not systray. @azzar1 , do you know?

@orschiro Our default extension should support both KstatusNotifer and Ubuntu AppIndicator. Can you check the output of:
$ gsettings get org.gnome.shell enabled-extensions
and
$ apt-cache policy gnome-shell-extension-appindicator

@3v1n0 did some changes here https://github.com/ubuntu/gnome-shell-extension-appindicator/pull/97. Maybe you’ve already the newer version?

1 Like

Check for the extension to be installed, please check the apt-cache policy Andrea gave. However, extensions being part of a mode don’t appear in the enabled-extensions list, which are additional extensions to the mode default (which has ubuntu-dock and ubuntu-appindicator for our case). If you are in the ubuntu session, you are running it if installed.

Edit: however, as Andrea told me, it’s still interesting to know if other extensions are potentially running and conflicting with it, so please report that command as well :wink:

I really appreciate your support! Let me know if that helps. :slight_smile:

orschiro@x230:~$ gsettings get org.gnome.shell enabled-extensions
['clipboard-indicator@tudmotu.com', 'gnome-shell-screenshot@ttll.de', 'appindicatorsupport@rgcjonas.gmail.com', 'topIcons@adel.gadllah@gmail.com']

orschiro@x230:~$ apt-cache policy gnome-shell-extension-appindicator
gnome-shell-extension-appindicator:
  Installed: 17.10.1
  Candidate: 17.10.1
  Version table:
 *** 17.10.1 500
        500 http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu artful/main amd64 Packages
        500 http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu artful/main i386 Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

The fact that appindicatorsupport@rgcjonas.gmail.com is enabled, looks weird to me.

Please, use gnome-shell-extension-prefs to make sure the Ubnutu indicator extension is enabled (while that one should not).

Cheers

Do not rely on gnome-shell-extension-prefs for the 2 mods extensions (nor to Tweak tools): GNOME Shell doesn’t report the correct state for enabled mod extensions, so in our case, ubuntu-dock and ubuntu-appindicator (they are looking at the gsettings key).

It’s something that we’ll fix upstream for 18.04.

Ubuntu AppIndicators and Ubuntu Dock were disabled. Shall I keep them enabled?

orschiro@x230:~$ gnome-shell-extension-prefs
Gjs-Message: JS LOG: Extension topIcons@adel.gadllah@gmail.com already installed in /home/orschiro/.local/share/gnome-shell/extensions/topIcons@adel.gadllah@gmail.com. /home/orschiro/.local/share/gnome-shell/extensions/topIcons@adel.gadllah@gmail.com will not be loaded
Gjs-Message: JS LOG: Extension gnome-shell-screenshot@ttll.de already installed in /home/orschiro/.local/share/gnome-shell/extensions/gnome-shell-screenshot@ttll.de. /home/orschiro/.local/share/gnome-shell/extensions/gnome-shell-screenshot@ttll.de will not be loaded
Gjs-Message: JS LOG: Extension clipboard-indicator@tudmotu.com already installed in /home/orschiro/.local/share/gnome-shell/extensions/clipboard-indicator@tudmotu.com. /home/orschiro/.local/share/gnome-shell/extensions/clipboard-indicator@tudmotu.com will not be loaded
Gjs-Message: JS LOG: Extension ubuntu-appindicators@ubuntu.com already installed in /usr/share/gnome-shell/extensions/ubuntu-appindicators@ubuntu.com. /usr/share/gnome-shell/extensions/ubuntu-appindicators@ubuntu.com will not be loaded
Gjs-Message: JS LOG: Extension ubuntu-dock@ubuntu.com already installed in /usr/share/gnome-shell/extensions/ubuntu-dock@ubuntu.com. /usr/share/gnome-shell/extensions/ubuntu-dock@ubuntu.com will not be loaded
Gjs-Message: JS LOG: Extension topIcons@adel.gadllah@gmail.com already installed in /home/orschiro/.local/share/gnome-shell/extensions/topIcons@adel.gadllah@gmail.com. /home/orschiro/.local/share/gnome-shell/extensions/topIcons@adel.gadllah@gmail.com will not be loaded
Gjs-Message: JS LOG: Extension gnome-shell-screenshot@ttll.de already installed in /home/orschiro/.local/share/gnome-shell/extensions/gnome-shell-screenshot@ttll.de. /home/orschiro/.local/share/gnome-shell/extensions/gnome-shell-screenshot@ttll.de will not be loaded
Gjs-Message: JS LOG: Extension clipboard-indicator@tudmotu.com already installed in /home/orschiro/.local/share/gnome-shell/extensions/clipboard-indicator@tudmotu.com. /home/orschiro/.local/share/gnome-shell/extensions/clipboard-indicator@tudmotu.com will not be loaded
Gjs-Message: JS LOG: Extension ubuntu-appindicators@ubuntu.com already installed in /usr/share/gnome-shell/extensions/ubuntu-appindicators@ubuntu.com. /usr/share/gnome-shell/extensions/ubuntu-appindicators@ubuntu.com will not be loaded
Gjs-Message: JS LOG: Extension ubuntu-dock@ubuntu.com already installed in /usr/share/gnome-shell/extensions/ubuntu-dock@ubuntu.com. /usr/share/gnome-shell/extensions/ubuntu-dock@ubuntu.com will not be loaded

No need to change anything for ubuntu-appindicator and ubuntu-dock. As told, their status isn’t reliably reported by those tools (-prefs or Tweaks). They are enabled no matter what. I think you should disable the other extensions to see if you have a conflict with Appindicators (like TopIcons).

Then, after a restart check with @azzar1 about which apps doesn’t show up their icons, I heard there might be an issue with Qt apps… (clementine is working for me though)

1 Like

@didrocks, @azzar1 tried to follow your instructions. Let me know if that helps!

https://www.useloom.com/share/d0714c874ec849229cf0872932c7017b

There is any way to disable appindicators extension in Ubuntu 17.10? Indicators looks is very out of place right now.

@ognehod what do you mean by out of place?

They smaller than GNOME indicators and color is not match with GNOME style.

I’ll let @azzar1 replying, he knows more about I about the interactions between Top Icon and indicators.

Extenstions being part of a GNOME Shell mode can’t be disabled (same with GNOME Classic btw). However, you should use the GNOME Vanilla session (I blogged many times about it on planet ubuntu) if you want to enable yourself the set of extensions you want without having our default.

@ognehod try to disable topIcons and restart the shell.