Screenshots directory

Hi guys,
I take a lot of screenshots, many times I’m too lazy to copy-paste some text or create a bookmark so I just take a quick screenshot.
The problem I then face is that all of my screenshots end up in the same “Pictures” directory as all of my other images and then it gets hard to manage my images since they are all scrambled.
So what I’ve been doing for the past few releases is manually created a “/home/$USER/Pictures/Screenshots” directory and then just configure gsettings to save screenshots in that directory.

I don’t know if that is something that you all would like to be done by default but I certainly would. So If it’s not a too much of a problem, maybe someone can get that in before the 17.10? It would be a great UX feature.

Ty!

4 Likes

Not a bad idea. Cheese already saves webcam images by default into ~/Pictures/Webcam so it’s not unreasonable for other applications to do that too, in my mind.

3 Likes

+1

I usually do the same.

@KristijanZic it is far too late for 17.10 unfortunately, feature freeze is behind us and the release is this week, but it is a good idea for 18.04.

However, assuming you’re talking about gnome-screenshot, making the save directory configurable is a known issue upstream and tracked in Bug 691710 - Save screenshots in Pictures/Screenshots?

In the mean time you can configure it by setting the key org.gnome.gnome-screenshot auto-save-directory to the location you like.
For example:
Create the directory /home/<user>/Pictures/Screenshots then set the key with the following command:

mkdir -p ~/Pictures/Screenshots
gsettings set org.gnome.gnome-screenshot auto-save-directory ‘file:///home/<user>/Pictures/Screenshots’

(replace <user> by your username)

4 Likes