Reconcidering workflows

Okay here is LoCo Council’s email: loco-council@lists.ubuntu.com
The team: https://launchpad.net/~ubuntu-lococouncil

Here is GNOME Translation Project’s email: gnome-i18n@gnome.org
Subscribe here: https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gnome-i18n

1 Like

Did you post anything? Can you post the links to the discussions?

That is an awesome offer. But personally, I think that instead of putting our efforts to migrate to a new system, we should be spending time to redesign our workflows to work closer to upstream (in whatever tool they use) and figure out what are our requirements to integrate that work.

Is there a way to contact the DevOps or architecture engineers to discuss some open source solutions? Is someone from Canonical/Ubuntu team involved?

I’m translating upstream already as we agreed before. I’m using Gtranslator which have many plugins such as TM, dictionary, glossary, etc. It’s kind of buggy and unmaintained but it works fine for me.

1 Like

As part of my efforts I’ve filed the following bug, hoping that soon I’ll collect enough features to improve the translation module.

This is regarding GitHub and GitLab support, GNOME and Freedesktop moved over to GitLab, I’m guessing some adjustment is needed from Launchpad’s side.

Yes, the inability to link GitLab issues is annoying. Hopefully they fix that soon.

Not sure how it’s related to translations, though. Anything I’m missing?

1 Like

Nope, you’re not missing a thing, just making sure I’m on the right track.

I need to compare functionality in order to file a very good bug report, otherwise it’s no use.

This is the first one, It’ll take a while to cover all the gaps between Launchpad/Rosetta and modern localization systems since there’s a lot to cover.

1 Like

More bugs:

This pretty much sums up what I’m thinking, I respect the fact that Canonical are not willing to put any effort on Launchpad but it shouldn’t be the volunteers problem, pick any other suitable solution and leave Launchpad behind for the project that still want to use it, it’s just not good enough for Ubuntu and it’s not modern enough in almost any other aspect.

@gunnarhj I’m not blaming anyone, really, Canonical is a profitable company and I want to stay on this track and be even more profitable and I wish they wouldn’t have to invest any money in developing their own tools at all, but they still have to provide some tools for the community yet they don’t have to develop these tools themselves, there are many open source alternatives to what Canonical are offering to their volunteers these days and it’s a total waste of time trying to fix Launchpad, I don’t see any progress and it’s been like that since I’ve joined the project over 12 years ago, please, leave the ego aside and take a responsibility over the community.

Thank you!

@yaron: I’d like to remind of what I wrote in this message.

But to make progress, we need Canonical involvement in this discussion. I think that @cjwatson or @wgrant would be able to provide the Canonical view on the topic.

1 Like

Hey
I didn’t know that we have this discussion here, and emailed translators mailing list, Iam also supporting Yaron’s talk about using launchpad platform to translating Ubuntu, because the platform is too old or not good enough these days for translations, because it lacks of too many things, most important thing is translation memory ™, because it did help me a lot during translation to other projects that I maintain or do translation for, And another thing which is important also is searching a string among all files and strings inside a project, that make your work more productive and helping you translate which one is important during starting the translation. There are more than one translation platform which are better than launchpad and full of feature and customization (i.e. Weblate and Pontoon) both of them are open source and easy to use.
Imagine with me I did translate approx. 6000 strings in Ubuntu in more than 6 months, but in other side I did translate more than 22000 string in LibreOffice and Firefox in just 3 months or earlier.
I did fill a bug in launchpad and got nothing.
Hope You Listen to us and see what we are suffering from while translating in Launchpad.

2 Likes

“Some things to keep in mind:”

Launchpad Translations interface is awesome including Ubuntu’s
language packs. Rosetta is not a completely different entity.
Yes we share translations with Rosetta, there is a one way transfer
to them, no way to check translations using Rosetta. Which would
make reviewing translations easier.
I agree with this post. There is no communications between Ubuntu translators and Rosetta.

Define awesome, it’s behind open source localization standards for about a decade.

There’s no easy way to mentor new translators in this platform, I can either give the translators full permissions or none.
You can communicate with the Ubuntu team, this is the prupose of this exact forums (There’s also the mailing list but it’s rather slow).

1 Like

Launchpad Translations interface is the online page that you can translate otherwise Download complete translations and upload them.
Ubuntu language packs automatically include all languages with the new install of Ubuntu, then remove all except the language the user selected. That process is awesome.
It has been around a long time.
Rosetta is a one way street.

Let’s separate CI/CD from localization process.

Launchpad Translation is pretty obsolete and time consuming compared to the alternatives.
You can probably check out Weblate, Crowdin, Transifex, TranslateWiki, Poeditor, Onesky etc, even the worst system among them is super advanced compared to the translation feature in Launchpad.

1 Like

I have not heard of any of them, thanks for the info.
I still want to know why Ubuntu shares translations with
Rosetta. Rosetta charges for their language learning platform.
They are not opensource.

LOL Rosetta≠Rosetta Stone :slight_smile:

Rosetta is the former name of the Launchpad Translations module.

1 Like

OK …Thanks for clarifying that. That is different.

1 Like