Reconcidering workflows

Is this a Spanish only group or for all translators?

Spanish only. Post must be at least 20 characters.

But the mailing list I mentioned is for all translators. A good place to talk over various matters with members of other translators teams and exchange experiences.

1 Like

I would instead invite them to join the discussion here.
Having the discussions on the mailing list is another of the problems that we are carrying.

1 Like

Inviting them here is a good idea, but I wouldn’t disparage the mailing list to be a “problem”. It’s also used for various announcements, calls for testing, hints about late translatable strings etc. While more general discussions fit well here, it’s my understanding that the mailing list will keep being needed for the reasons I mentioned. That way the teams get notified instantly when needed.

Yeah, yet too many mail messages are bogus as well so attracting them here would be a good start, even if it won’t replace the mailing list, maybe it’ll create a “softer” alternative to being notified about each and every subject.

What’s our take on translation system? Do you think Canonical are willing to improve Rosetta? I don’t want to compile a list of demands without any solid interest in improvement.

Probably both the list and this section of the community hub have their merits.

I can only guess about Canonical’s priorities in this respect. We have mentioned two things in this thread, which I personally think would be valuable improvements:

• Information on which projects have LP as their ‘home’, and for which projects upstream is elsewhere.

• Making Rosetta handle fuzzy items nicely. After all it uses gettext to validate the translations, so it ought to be doable.

My belief is that Canonical is open to try such specific requests for improvements in positive spirit. At the same time I think that just saying “Rosetta is outdated, please give us something more modern” wouldn’t move it forward.

2 Likes

So accessible glossary and TM are of the list?

I think this approach is quite clean and direct, trying to walk between the drops not to hurt anyone’s feelings causes a lot of frustration and leads to neverending arguments but if you think it is more feasible and we should shorten our list of demands in order to get anything done then so be it but it won’t cut it and it will only be good for the short term.

No. The reason I didn’t mention them is just that I’m not crystal clear of what they are or how they work. I haven’t done much actual translation work myself, but served as a translation coordinator a few cycles. The past few months I have helped to fix quite a few issues with templates and packages which affected translations.

My idea is that a few bugs should be filed where the desired improvements are described and justified. Based on those bugs the next step would be to approach the right LP persons and find out if they are ready to prioritize it.

Can you post links to them?

I didn’t talk about bugs which already exist, but suggested that new bugs are filed.

Of course, it’s possible that some of the desired improvements have been requested in old bugs. Actually I think I had a brief look when we talked about it, but didn’t find anything which applied.

OK, so do you want me to open them? Is there any work done on Launchpad whatsoever?

Yes, if you want to make progress. :wink:

Probably, since Ubuntu keeps being released…

1 Like

Hi everyone!

Andriy from Crowdin team is here. There are many Ubuntu fans in our team and we’d be happy to provide you a localization solution + unlimited assistance with managing the l10n.

Let me describe only a few advantages we can offer:

• Collaboration was never easier, translators can vote for the best translations and proofreaders can approve them;
  • Perfect support for PO and Markdown files;
  • Everything you may need to achieve high-quality translations - TM, glossaries, screenshots, context, possibility to localize websites live etc.;
  • Advanced workflows, so you can add more proofreading steps if needed;
  • Free for Open Source, without any limits and all features are included;
  • Assistance on any step, we love to help;
  • Teams like electron, React, Node.JS, Docusaurus and many others already use Crowdin;
  • We continue growing fast, Crowdin becomes better each day :slight_smile:

I’m always open to a discussion and it would be my pleasure to help with the setup. Please drop me any questions here or we can schedule a mega quick meeting to discuss details. Feeling so excited to have a chance to assist Ubuntu community! :tada:

1 Like

This is awesome! Thank you so much! :tada:

If there is a chance anyone from the community can connect us with Canonical team (or hopefully they monitor the thread), we can try to make something impressive together!

I’m totally fine to answer any questions you may have in this thread or we can talk sometime later

Hope for the best

@andrulko
Don’t get me wrong, I truly like Crowdin, seriously.

I just don’t think that Canonical would go for a system that can’t be self hosted by them, Rosetta (Launchpad) is internally developed and hosted and even though the costs are accordingly I don’t think they can settle for less.

I wish there was such an easy solution.

BTW, out of curiosity, how well does Crowding support Bzr or Mercurial?

1 Like

Well, Canonical is now using Gnome, Wayland, Flatpack, etc.
Let them talk. Let’s try to contact with the team.

1 Like

No problem, totally understand and confirm that Crowdin is a cloud-based solution. It should be easier for everyone, since maintenance will be totally handled by us, Canonical will only need to setup files sync in a preferred way (we have a console client (CLI), API, integration with GitHub / Bitbucket / GitLab + can assist with custom setup).

There is a mobile view as well, so it will be comfortable to work on translations using any device.

We support Mercurial in Bitbucket integration, currently the only way to setup Crowdin<->Bazaar sync is usage of our CLI - files will be sent to Crowdin from the server over CLI; translations will be downloaded via CLI and pulled to the server, so then it will be possible to push them to Bazaar

Thank you so much for your effort!

2 Likes