By “‘next-name’ repo” I believe that @chanath refers to what comes after the Bionic release of Ubuntu, not to “unity (9)” or any other future version of Unity.
I previously asked:
To be blunt, I’m not sure whether I correctly understood the initial answer that you provided to that question. And now, in view of @chanath’s comments, I feel your initial response should be clarified.
To make this easier, let me ask as a true/false question:
Even if the Ubuntu Unity team provides LTS support for 18.04, the Ubuntu Unity team also plans to provide an 18.10 release.
That is, is the statement immediately above true or false?
And by the way, although I have a preferred answer in mind (which I’ve indicated elsewhere), I’m not asking in an attempt to advocate for one answer or the other. Rather, I’m just seeking clarification regarding what are your current plans. And like I wrote before, depending on your answer, those currently voting for LTS may not realize that they are also voting against intermediate releases.
Actually, no, while the Ubuntu Unity Remix team could commit to a full 5 years of support for 18.04, the team is free to commit to a shorter period, such as 3 year, or even to only 9 months. Furthermore, I don’t know of any reason why the Ubuntu Unity Remix team couldn’t be released initially with only a 9 month support commitment for 18.04, and then, support could be extended later, depending on user feedback/demand.
The above in mind, if you now feel confident that you’ll be able to support Ubuntu Unity Remix for 5 years, then sure, announce it and go for it. But really, I don’t understand why you need make that decision now, let alone announce that decision now. Personally, I’d take a wait-and-see approach. But it’s up to you guys, not to me.
As an aside, I don’t understand why you are giving voting power to those of us (including me) who are seated in the peanut galley. Sure, consider our comments and advice, but I advise you not give us a “vote” as to what your team is committing to support.