Please, do not use snap into UBUNTU, it's too early

You’re essentially describing appimage. We’re not about to re-architect our entire software delivery and solution to re-implement something else that already exists. If you want to carry on using appimage, or some other system, use it.

1 Like

Not exactly that, but also the way Ubuntu live iso is run (and installed). There too the whole root is squashed, and opened live with an app that won’t stay back. The app that installs came later, of course. In AppImage the idea is the same open the squashed set of files with a runtime. Those set of files are usually /usr/share, usr/bin, usr/lib, /etc and so on with the necessary dependent files.

What a web browser, Firefox for example, does is to have the whole set of files placed in folder somewhere (usr/lib) and put a link to the executive file. It is not squashed and opened every time, sort of wasting time at starting. When you squash a set of files, and need another app to unsquash it and then run, it takes bit of time. With the fastest processor, this might not be noticed, but not everyone has the fastest processors, so the time lap is noticed.

So, click on a link > run an additional app > unsquash the needed app > then run the needed app >> takes some time. And, this appears to be the problem of this kind of starting apps.

There are no debs installed in your Ubuntu, and when you click on the icon the needed app starts up bang (snappier). Click on the link > runs the exe app > app is on your screen.

Your analysis of the reasons why snaps may or may not be slow to start is incorrect.

I don’t see any future in this conversation other than speculation, so I think we should end it here.

There are plenty of alternatives for that.
For me snaps are not a bad thing, they just need a bit of polishing. I always remove my .deb apps in favor of snaps apps (Libreoffice, Firefox, chromium, gitkraken, text editor, VLC… just to mention a few).
For those who are always complaining about snaps how many ups have you tested or are just following the news and complaining?
My only concern is on metered connection, it shouldn’t allow updates when using it

1 Like

My analysis is correct. When we have a snap app that would start faster than its equivalent app, I’d believe otherwise.
As for the 2nd line, we should end the discussion.

There are NO .deb apps in your UBuntu system, period!
Show us how you removed the .deb apps? And, where did you find them for you to remove them?

Still have a few actually

Is it a joke right? Because your are the one complaining the most about snaps

Really? Just show which one is that .deb app.

First, I am NOT complaining, and I never do.
Second, you don’t have a single (working) .deb app in your Ubuntu system.

You have files and folders, but nothing called a .deb app. The same way, you don’t have a snap app, only some files and folders inside a snap folder, which needs another app run them. These files/folders are not squashed (sorry, @popey not like in AppImage. Just reinstalled “snap” gnome-calculator to check) and they contain the same files and some other files in that folder.

Normally, when you click on the icon for the given app, it simply runs the relevant exe file in the /usr/bin. So, the app starts immediately. With the snap, the /usr/share, /usr/bin, etc are in the app folder in the snap folder and it takes some time for click to get registered, so the lateness. Maybe, the guys behind snap would find a way around this, and maybe one day the “snap” apps would boot just as the normal ones. There is some sort of a runtime app that’s slowing it up. At the moment this happens in the first time you boot your “snap” app, and every time after you reboot your computer.

A “snap” app would boot equal (in terms of time) to the normal app in your Ubuntu system, but never faster. If you are interested, have look at the folders inside /snap directory. Normally, a click would send a message to the file in /usr/bin, and now with a “snap,” it’d have to go to /snap > then to the named folder > and then to /usr/bin inside it. Maybe, even go through some other places.

I’m getting very tempted to close this thread.

It started as a non-collaborative set of complaints and demands (some valid, some not), and has not improved.

• I’m not seeing persuasion. I’m not seeing collaboration.
  • I’m not seeing realistic solutions being offered to the problems presented. I’m not seeing community members volunteering to work on solutions.
  • I’m not seeing folks listening to each other.

That is not what this site is for.

7 Likes

(google translate)
I would just like to point out, that originally this post is not to judge the quality of the technology used for SNAP. Of course, I have no jurisdiction to say if SNAP is the best solution for the future of distribution, it would be pretentious. If investments are made on this point it is that it must be justified.

But it’s just the user voice that can only find that SNAP applications already installed on UBUNTU are longer now at first boot. It is therefore a regression to use. I know that the problem is already taken into account but not resolved at present, and I do insist on the word now.

Could we simply take into consideration the deployment of this technology to be postponed until the resolution of these identified difficulties of use?

If not, and if you think that this precise point will not be debated because the decision is irreversible, be free to block these exchanges

Thank you for all these exchanges that are still rewarding and that prove the interest we all bring to UBUNTU.

I’ve been looking inside the /snap folder and did a bit of experimenting. I found this exe file in it for gnome-calculator; /snap/gnome-calculator/406/usr/bin/gnome-calculator

I also have a little run program installed : gmrun. If I open gmrun and paste the above line (/snap/gnome-calculator/406/usr/bin/gnome-calculator) and click Enter, the gnome calculator opens immediately. The same happens by pasting that line in the terminal and click Enter. Bang, it opens.

The same happens, if I only write gnome-calculator in gmrun or in the terminal and click Enter. Bang, it opens. It points to /usr/bin/gnome-calculator. The result is the same. The theme is the same.

But, if I click on the icon that points to snap gnome-calculator from the app-grid, it takes certain time, and the app that opens has another theme. Something is slowing it to start,

Anyway, you can try this yourself and see for yourself. I will not comment on this matter any more.

1 Like

Just do it. Nothing good comes out of these kind of threads except drama. Memplex made a much better thread (let’s hope the discussion does not get distracted again by some people like in this thread)

Please do it, it has been oligopolized.

Please do it. There are many not construtive posts here.

1 Like

It’s not non-sense and if you actually read the explanation you’ll understand why, go read the explanation.

By the way Suse is much bigger than Canonical.

1 Like

As an Ubuntu Mate user, I already have 3 snaps installed by default that work without any problems, so some snaps are ready and work and it seems (by going through this thread) that maybe others aren’t working so well and need bug reporting and improvements. From what I can understand of all of this I don’t think that anyone from Canonical made a case that snap is in its final form and is working perfectly, so it seems that developers acknowledge that there are things that need to be improved and fixed before they start migrating stacks of debs to snaps. With that last thought in your mind, remember this and this. Unless a snap app works exactly like it’s deb counterpart, people are going to complaint! I thought this was a lesson learned from the unity 7 days… Unity 8 wasn’t the default DE because it wasn’t ready, maybe Chromium deb shouldn’t be removed in 19.10 until it’s snap counterpart is ready? Could something like the One Hundred Papercuts work? Use discourse to call for snap testing before removing it’s deb counterpart, when there are no standing issues transition to the snap. Haters are always going to find something to complaint about, but the less reasons you give them, the better. Ultimately, it’s Canonical’s decision and if people stuck around after Unity’s first days, people are going to keep using Ubuntu after Snap’s first days. Despite it’s rocky start, Unity in 16.04 is freaking awesome and almost perfect, snap will be too.

6 Likes

“By the way Suse is much bigger than Canonical” => No, not in terms of success.
SuSe products are a complete failure compared to Ubuntu.

Ubuntu, Linux Mint, Manjaro, Archlinux is much more used than OpenSuse on desktop.

And for the servers? Debian and Ubuntu Server is more used than SuSe Linux Enterprise Server!

OpenSuse is just a small distribution, it is not even part of the top 7.

Alright, this is becoming a mess, so here is the deal.

If you like snaps, you use snaps.
If you don’t like snaps, you don’t use snaps.

You can remove the snaps, and replace them with others ones and if your not happy, install Unity instead of Gnome or hitch back to 16.04. If you don’t like either then you can jump to Debian, but it is more optimal.

5 Likes

Please, do not keep this thread, it has no valid points.

3 Likes