New ubuntu-unity iso

?? The current is ubuntu-unity-ppa-amd64.iso Thats the one you want up there.

http://people.ubuntu.com/~twocamels/archive/

Regards…

When anyone click here, http://people.ubuntu.com/~twocamels/archive/?_ga=2.131138120.616061444.1511854191-809258736.1511854191
what do you see?
caja-experiment
old.iso

Who’d want to click a link to an old.iso? :wink:
Anyway, I sent a email.

Those are just folders in the archive. People know that. The ubuntu-unity-ppa-amd64.iso file is right there. If people want to click the /old they can … if they want to click /caja-experiment, they can. It is a record of bare metal /isos I have built. The unity7sl you upload is broke and people are downloading that and think that I built it (which I did not). Why would we want to use sourceforge when we went through all the work to get extra space on UbuntuPeople?

The iso, I uploaded was still in Mega.nz and was called Unity7N.iso. https://mega.nz/#!OwFwDB4b!7_OG1GI7Jfer8WE8i58YDQpFidHC39ujvEJ-5yaRcj0
Done at the same time as you did to Mega.
I have no idea, if that is broke. And, that was done quite a long ago.

Btw, can I also upload an iso to UbuntuPeople?

If you sign the CoC, apply for Ubuntu Membership through Ubuntu Forums and use your real name I can consider it.

Or actually you could do that yourself but you have to be Ubuntu Member.

Regards…

I am one of the very few at the forums, who actually use one’s real name.

First&Last
Ok. sign the CoC and we’ll go from there…

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SigningCodeofConduct

Anyone else who is on the unity7maintainers should consider signing the Code of Conduct also if they would like to get involved in maintenance aspects of launchpad items because to have certain permissions you need to sign CoC.

Regards…

@dale-f-beaudoin, @khurshid-alam

Regarding the ubuntu-unity-ppa iso and the meta-package installation in a MBR laptop.
Results:

1. ubuntu-unity-desktop through the meta package, login gets into a loop back to the login screen. Sometimes, it stays a bit, but breaks and move back to the login screen.
  2. PPA iso, live session works well, but cannot install. The installer fails practically immediately. Downloaded twice, same results both times.

There was a cupsd flag after an upgrade to an existing install and both gnome-software and ubuntu-software are installed. The ubuntu-unity-ppa-amd64.iso has not been changed. I am downloading the ISO again. Did you do checksum?

No loopback prob here.

I have downloaded the ubuntu-unity-ppa-amd64.iso just about an hour ago and installed it on bare metal /BIOS/ mode. The installation was seamless. I have never seen it work better. Although the ubiquity theme being adwaita , it installed just swell, exits just swell and the hard install works as if it was stable LTS. Ok… so on to old lappy and UEFI test.

btw I do not think I will be doing another build until after Technical Board meeting (Dec 5th) so stand by :wink:

1. I can’t reproduce, but try following: Press ctrl+alt+f2, login,restart lightdm, can you login now? Can you login into gnome/ubuntu-session? If so check lightdm log, check anything related in gnome-system-log.

Try booting with nomodeset.

1. PPA iso works and installs fine for me.

I even installed it on a lappy that was ready for recycle. So thats 4 machines Ihave done seamless hard installs on.

ol’e lappy

ventrical@ventrical-Satellite-A210:~$ inxi -Fxz
System:    Host: ventrical-Satellite-A210 Kernel: 4.13.0-16-generic x86_64
           bits: 64 gcc: 7.2.0
           Desktop: Gnome  (Gtk 3.22.25-0ubuntu1)
           Distro: Ubuntu Bionic Beaver (development branch)
Machine:   Device: kvm System: TOSHIBA product: Satellite A210 v: PSAFGC-MS008C serial: N/A
           Mobo: ATI model: SB600 v: Rev 1 serial: N/A
           BIOS: Phoenix v: 1.90 date: 06/02/2009
CPU:       Dual core AMD Athlon 64 X2 TK-55 (-MCP-) 
           arch: K8 rev.F+ cache: 512 KB
           flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 svm) bmips: 3192
           clock speeds: max: 1800 MHz 1: 1795 MHz 2: 1795 MHz
Graphics:  Card: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] RS690M [Radeon Xpress 1200/1250/1270]
           bus-ID: 01:05.0
           Display Server: x11 (X.Org 1.19.5 )
           drivers: ati,radeon (unloaded: modesetting,fbdev,vesa)
           Resolution: 1280x800@60.00hz
           OpenGL: renderer: ATI RS690
           version: 2.1 Mesa 17.2.2 Direct Render: Yes
Audio:     Card Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] SBx00 Azalia (Intel HDA)
           driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:14.2
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k4.13.0-16-generic
Network:   Card-1: Realtek RTL8101/2/6E PCIE Fast/Gigabit Ethernet controller
           driver: r8169 v: 2.3LK-NAPI port: a000 bus-ID: 08:00.0
           IF: enp8s0 state: up speed: 100 Mbps duplex: full mac: <filter>
           Card-2: Realtek RTL8187B Wireless Adapter
           driver: rtl8187 usb-ID: 001-002
           IF: wlx00164469e552 state: N/A mac: N/A
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 80.0GB (7.6% used)
           ID-1: /dev/sda model: ST980817AS size: 80.0GB temp: 46C
Partition: ID-1: / size: 29G used: 3.9G (15%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda5
           ID-2: swap-1 size: 2.10GB used: 0.00GB (0%)
           fs: swap dev: /dev/sda6
RAID:      No RAID devices: /proc/mdstat, md_mod kernel module present
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 57.0C mobo: N/A
           Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A
Info:      Processes: 182 Uptime: 7 min Memory: 1011.6/2877.6MB
           Init: systemd runlevel: 5 Gcc sys: N/A
           Client: Shell (bash 4.4.121) inxi: 2.3.45 
ventrical@ventrical-Satellite-A210:~$ 

edit: on Shutdown it froze in plymouth but thats because it has no battery and one of the cores is busted and I am using an offset memory speed… but it works great on my lenevo T61.

Seamless install on UEFI box:

ventrical@ventrical-MS-7850:~$ inxi -Fxz
System:    Host: ventrical-MS-7850 Kernel: 4.13.0-16-generic x86_64
           bits: 64 gcc: 7.2.0
           Desktop: Gnome  (Gtk 3.22.25-0ubuntu1)
           Distro: Ubuntu Bionic Beaver (development branch)
Machine:   Device: desktop Mobo: MSI model: B85-G41 PC Mate(MS-7850) v: 1.0 serial: N/A
           UEFI: American Megatrends v: V2.8 date: 07/17/2014
CPU:       Dual core Intel Pentium G3240 (-MCP-) 
           arch: Haswell rev.3 cache: 3072 KB
           flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx) bmips: 12398
           clock speeds: max: 3100 MHz 1: 3099 MHz 2: 3099 MHz
Graphics:  Card: Intel Xeon E3-1200 v3/4th Gen Core Processor Integrated Graphics Controller
           bus-ID: 00:02.0
           Display Server: x11 (X.Org 1.19.5 )
           drivers: modesetting (unloaded: fbdev,vesa)
           Resolution: 1440x900@59.89hz
           OpenGL: renderer: Mesa DRI Intel Haswell Desktop
           version: 4.5 Mesa 17.2.2 Direct Render: Yes
Audio:     Card-1 Intel 8 Series/C220 Series High Def. Audio Controller
           driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:1b.0
           Card-2 Intel Xeon E3-1200 v3/4th Gen Core Processor HD Audio Controller
           driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:03.0
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k4.13.0-16-generic
Network:   Card: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCIE Gigabit Ethernet Controller
           driver: r8169 v: 2.3LK-NAPI port: e000 bus-ID: 02:00.0
           IF: enp2s0 state: up speed: 100 Mbps duplex: full mac: <filter>
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 80.0GB (7.7% used)
           ID-1: /dev/sda model: WDC_WD800ADFS size: 80.0GB temp: 39C
Partition: ID-1: / size: 73G used: 5.7G (9%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda2
RAID:      No RAID devices: /proc/mdstat, md_mod kernel module present
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 29.8C mobo: 27.8C
           Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A
Info:      Processes: 183 Uptime: 4 min Memory: 687.4/3808.9MB
           Init: systemd runlevel: 5 Gcc sys: N/A
           Client: Shell (bash 4.4.121) inxi: 2.3.45 
ventrical@ventrical-MS-7850:~$ 

… so the team ( mostly khurshid and chanath) has done an awesome job on the meta-pack so far and 18.04 is so far very stable at this point so it makes for an excellent sort of rolling release :wink:

1 Like

Downloading the ISO right now! Eager to test it and be capable of giving you feedback!

1 Like

It must be something wrong with that MBR laptop. Both isos get installed in the UEFI laptop and work well.

@dale-f-beaudoin, I wanna say thanks for this job! But there is still a question in my mind, does this .iso file uses something extra except the unity7maintainers/unity7-desktop?extra than

Hi zokarata,

There is nothing special. It is pure unity7. Nothing has been changed , only gnome-shell and ubuntu-desktop ,gdm3 are removed and unity ppa installed. If you have it installed on an extra box , just keep update/upgrade as it is already set for 18.04 repos.

Regards…

Regards…

Hello everyone,

I tried the ubuntu-unity-ppa-amd64.iso from 23-Nov-2017 14:28 and I am very impressed!

Here are some thoughts after trying it for a bit:

• Super key doesn’t open the dash menu on a blank desktop without any application window opened
  • Are there any plans to integrate a night light mode? If so, natively or through a third-party application such as Redshift?
  • I noticed some strangely looking tray icons while installing
  • Terminal window name/title is not refreshing (reverting back to “Terminal”) after running the command mpsyt. It remains saying “mpsyt”
  • Media keys are not working. Opened an .mp3 file in Videos and pressing the media keys doesn’t pause/play the file. Similarly, media keys are not working with mps-youtube (mpsyt)
  • Videos is not integrated into the sound menu as it used to be in the past
  • The window buttons are inconsistent. Files has buttons on the right side, Chrome on the left, for example

Thank you orschito for your report and study of the .ISO. I hope to build another soon, perhaps after the Technical Board Meeting of December 5th. If we do not get official status I still plan to maintain unity-session components and try to get help to render some fixes.

Regards…

1 Like

@dale-f-beaudoin thank you for all your efforts! Looking forward to more testing and hope I can help by continuing to give feedback in the future (and try to resolve my abovementioned points). :slight_smile: