New ubuntu-unity iso

Thank you for clarifying.

Update on ISO builds on PeopleUbuntu http://people.ubuntu.com/~twocamels/archive/

We were not approved to become official flavor by Technical Board so we will not have a spot on QA/tracker nor can I test or discuss unity 7 remix at www.ubuntuforums.com in the Ubuntu Development Version Testing thread. We can discuss, in limited fashion, unity-session from the universe but not the ISO. So at this point I will scale back on ISO builds and persons interested can still download the current ubuntu-unity-ppa-amd64.iso and report test results here. I think it is the most economical thing to do both for myself and the rest of the community. Also @khurshid-alam has built a very stable ppa; which the current .ISO points to so it is only logical to maintain a holding pattern atm… Thanks everyone for all your testing and dedication to the project.

Regards…

Hello! Is it possible for the project to become similar to Linux Mint or Zorin OS? In case it would be Unity OS!

Thank you initu-icr,

I do not think we will be heading down this path. It would then be too hard to maintain.

Thanks for answering!

1. Why not approved? Reasons?
  2. Is Unity 7 still going to be available in the repos? Doesn’t matter which repos. I understand that Ubuntu 16.04 is LTS until April 2021, and by that time lot of things going to change. (I am not saying “might.”)
  3. My Bionic Unity works very well.

Hey … where were you?

They needed some more info.

One of the main:

“Does your team have an existing track record of uploading to the Ubuntu archive those packages that you will be maintaining?”

I was notified of these questions just minutes into the meeting so it blindsided me. I was not informed that this and other items were prerequisite to be addressed at the TB meeting. They wanted examples of commitment and I deferred then to my contributions at UbuntuForums, that , if fact my ubuntu_membership is based on my contributions - but that was not what they were looking for.

We have been trying to create a group but there also they need more information . I deferred that to Will or other and just got notice that it may be addressed today.

It’s all totally my fault for not expecting the unexpected :wink:

The good news is we are in holding pattern.

As far as unity-session in universe and ppa - yes … they are still active.

I have tried to make this case over and over . That there will be mid-distro updaters/upgraders from 16.04 to 18.04. It would just have to be hope upon hope that unity-session is maintained enough that it will not break their systems /or/ that users may be notified that they will be upgraded with gdm3 and gnome3 dash2dock default desktop. So I have been on standby , as you know, since the beggining of 17.10 cycle.

Another prob is compiz. I have been asking for someone to point me to the code for years now. I was in that compiz debate with Jorge Castro way , way back. I even asked on irc #ubuntu-devel just the other day:

"[07:00] so… just for a test case … does anyone want to point me to a critical bug, say , ie; a compiz bug and give me the link to the file and the code?
[07:07] no takers ? :slight_smile:

https://irclogs.ubuntu.com/2017/12/02/%23ubuntu-devel.txt

so I’m tired of asking. All I asked for was some pointers. Launchpad is a rather antiquated piece of software, yes, I am learning, but I thought it would just be helpful to have some file pointers… you know … we are a team aren’t we , we are a community aren’t we? I think I have been polite about it all. :roll_eyes:

Same here. There was a cupsd apport flag the other day… but that was it.

Regards…

I was not around last few days.
I can’t code. I can read and understand some ideas in the code, but that’s all, so no use here.
Compiz must be known to @didrocks, as he is author of unity (/usr/bin/unity).

I already tried to recruit those guys , (even in advisory roles). Nope. Their focus now is on getting gnome3 ready for 18.04. I have no ill feelings. Those persons did awesome job on unity. I wish them success in all their endeavors with gnome3.

I have faith that Will and Seb will help us as best they can … we just have to be patient . Let everybody come up for air so to speak…

1 Like

Its unlikely any one would help the competitor. The default doesn’t appear to get much attention at least here; Ubuntu Development Version.

@chanath

I appreciate your free speech but our team , we are not competing with gnome3. Gnome3 and Unity are brother and sister and family and community just like the rest of the flavors… is the only way I will work with this project.

Regards…

1 Like

@chanath, along with what @dale-f-beaudoin said, the point of all of these flavors is to keep in the Open Source value of freedom of choice alive even when that means diluting the Community.

1 Like

@khurshid-alam

I got no heads up on this.

E: Repository 'http://ppa.launchpad.net/unity7maintainers/unity7-desktop/ubuntu bionic InRelease' changed its 'Label' value from 'Unity 7 Testing' to 'Ubuntu-Unity-18.04-Testing'
N: This must be accepted explicitly before updates for this repository can be applied. See apt-secure(8) manpage for details.
ventrical@ventrical-Precision-WorkStation-T3400:~$ 

before I make another ISO can we get on the same page please! How can I make this work on installs that have the old ppa ‘Label’ value?

Regards…
edit: Ok . .this fixed itself somehow :slight_smile:

Ah. Sorry about that. I just need to recompile all packages in the ppa. But Dale, I think we should wait for vino sharing screen merge for unity-control-center.

Can you do away with vino?

I just updated those files. We didn’t merge.fix/release until a month before the last release -but anyways … there they are. So I agree with how you are structuring all of this.

Thank you for the update.

regards…

Hi all,

mac4man from UbuntuForums has created a ppa with experimental demo for a file manager called nemo. I have tested it and it works very fine. Khurshid and I talked about that we could use it for 18.10 development release cycle but since it is so stable I think we can do some pre-testing for any one who wishes to do so. You can go to the RoadmapLink and click on NemoDemo and do it manually or wait until I build a new ISO with nemo pre-installed.

Regards…

Dale, hasn’t this bug already been fixed? https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gnome-session/+bug/1716986

No. Not that I know of. I fixed unity-greeter and unity-control-center version update and was about to look at gnome-session. Thing is , since the meta-package, I have been using the unity7 ppa and lightdm standalone and not installing unity-session. The logo is not on the standalone unity7 installs either. I will look at it.

Sidenote: Am currently uploading image file with nemo installed.

@khurshid-alam

The last time I was in gnome-session I edited in /unity_recommend_zeitgeist/ and I can’t find the pointer file to which bug you are referring. Can you point me to the name of the file I need to look at? or I’ll ask seb.

Uploaded new image file with nemo in the archive.

ubuntu-unity-nemo-amd64.iso

• Live: Open terminal Ctrl+alt+t and enter nemo then lock to launcher. The same proceedure for full install.

Regards…