• They are perfect!
  • Itā€™s an improvement, but itā€™s not perfect
  • I like the old sounds better

0 voters

Did you add the startup sound?

• Yes
  • No

0 voters

What do you think about the volume of the sounds compared to playing music/youtube/ā€¦?

• Too low! They should be amplified
  • Too loud! Turn them down please
  • Itā€™s fine
  • I didnā€™t think about that

0 voters

Do they differentiate themselves from other products?

• NO! They sound too Windows-ish
  • Yes, a perfect capture of the african spirit
  • Maybe not unique, but at least different enough

0 voters

2 Likes

Just realized today that under Settings > Sound > Sound Effects is a volume slider for alert sounds. The old defaults were ugly and very loud, and the slider (Iā€™m pretty sure) defaults to 50% volume. Turn that puppy up to the max and the new sounds are pretty loud.

Check to see if you are over amplifing too.

As told on https://community.ubuntu.com/t/cursor-theme-discussion/3870/55, Iā€™m currently getting progress on the snap.

I suggest that we do the same than for the other projects and move it to the ubuntu github namespace, mind doing this?

Note that Iā€™m settings org.gnome.desktop.sound input-feedback-sound to true in the gsettings schema for the session. Agreed with that or you prefer I default to false? (This is the part which canā€™t be in the snap, so hard to override afterwards).

1 Like

Really? I hope notā€¦ :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Iā€™m interested in using the theme, but not the sounds.

Sorry, I wasnā€™t clear using the technical ā€œoverrideā€ term which means something else in that context: a gsettings override is a default value that a distribution can define (per session in the ubuntu case). This part needs to be installed in a directory that is only accessible to Debian packaging (not snaps) as itā€™s system-wide.
So, I meant that changing those default values will be harder (per policy) once the release is out and canā€™t be controlled from the snap, hence we need to get it right, now :wink:

However, any user can change the gsettings value and select their own sound theme or anything else (we donā€™t lock down the key of course).

4 Likes

I feel like this could do with a poll to get general opinion so people donā€™t feel like they have to Like other postsā€¦ Obviously this is purely advisory and not binding in any wayā€¦

Should the new system sounds be included in the Communitheme session snap?

• Yes
  • No

0 voters

1 Like

Iā€™ll give my reasoning - I vote yes because I think the sounds can be considered part of the Communitheme. Itā€™s a part of the new feel of the desktop under the Communitheme! :smiley:

If folks like Joey want to disable them post-install thatā€™s fine, if he blogs about the Communitheme snap he can include the command to turn the sounds off :slight_smile:

3 Likes

@madsrh: agreed that Iā€™m using https://github.com/ubuntu/communitheme-sounds in the snap, which combines booth your woodenbeaver and that startup sound?

3 Likes

Yes :+1: (sorry for the slow reply)

3 Likes

Hi @madsrh : Iā€™m happily installed 18.04 + the communithem snap (wow!!!) a little question thoughā€¦
Your sound-them is not working for me :cry:
Where can I find it and how can I find the culprit?
Thanks!

Great option, makes good sense!
On the other hand, not all of us (especially those of us over 60) are as mature as your students!
Personally, Iā€™d like to see a Ubuntu Settings Menu of ā€œSound Theme Optionsā€.
For example, 20-30 various sound themes such as:

1. Star Trek (original)
  2. Star Trek (other)
  3. Star wars
  4. 2001 Space Odyssey
  5. etc.
2 Likes

If youā€™ve installed the snap they should just work, except for the startup sound. You have to set that manually (check the GitHub link above).

1 Like

My bad, the scale for event-notifications was off. :blush:
All is well and Awesome as in 17.10, Thanks @madsrh.

1 Like

geez, itā€™s still a must have thing but devs just donā€™t care. i have to add on my own the old ones and force the startup sound after every reinstall to make the system much comfortable.

Just for fun:

https://youtu.be/CZ0-x7rulXI

7 Likes

The new one is fantastic.
Sound themes are very under utilised , they give the user an emotion attachment and the right theme will let every one know you are using Ubuntu.

3 Likes

I tried to change default alert sound through ā€˜settingsā€™. My pc had lost all alert sounds and login sound.

I donā€™t know what happened. Is there any way to retrieve the login sound ?

@madsrh: is it possible to relicense the sound theme to CC:BY-SA 4 instead of 3? That will help in minimizing licenses version between Suru and yours :wink:

1 Like