New system sounds in 18.04?

All sounds, except the startup sound, is a about 50%, so yes there’s plenty of room to turn up the volume.

Will it be possible to use sound themes, just like icon themes ?

I’m not sure what to answer here. It kind of already is - there’s just no GUI for it. I guess that’s a question for Gnome or Gnome Tweaks.

I mean, can we simply replace the sound files with our own at the source location or in something like usr/share or .local/share ?

Yes you can, but I would advise against editing files in the folder directly. A better (but more complicated) way, is to create a new theme or simply clone an existing one and edit that.

And put where ( location ) ? Thanks.

Google is your friend :wink:: https://askubuntu.com/questions/1527/where-do-i-find-system-sounds

1 Like

I am in able to get the spinner working :angry:.

Have you +madsrh finished your second spinner yet ?

Talking to me ? I have not added anything in last 2 days

Please guys, stay on topic! Use @meetdilip cursor thread for this discussion.

2 Likes

Is the new sound theme going to be enabled by default on new installs and upgrades?

It should be, right @merlijn-sebrechts ?

I suspect @d0od means whether this will be the default sound theme for 18.04 (the next release). I think it’s best to make it the default when Communitheme becomes the default.

It’s not yet set in stone when Communitheme will become the default, it will depend on when it’s ready. However, I’m quite confident that if we don’t make 18.04, it will definitely be the default in 18.10.

4 Likes

@madsrh kindly leave an option for users to add a boot ( start ) sound and shutdown sound if not already available in the theme. Let’s leave to users whether to use them or not

Gentle usage reminders from the moderators:

Remember that you can edit posts in Discourse.
This often makes single-sentence posts, and lots of public follow-ups, unnecessary.

• If you want somebody to explain, amplify or correct, shoot them a PM and let them edit. Everybody likes the chance to look like a better writer!

• You can also turn a single post into a wiki (multiple folks can edit the same post) for collaboration; simply flag the post and a mod will make the change.

Cheers,

1 Like

@madsrh Kudos for your excellent sound theme!
While trying to install and config I needed to do something a bit different to make it work. instead of the command you wrote up here I entered :

Command: paplay /usr/share/sounds/communitheme/stereo/desktop-login.ogg

If it makes any different I’m using Ubuntu 17.10. I’m yet to discover all that nice little sounds but I’m already enjoying it !
Lovely, Thanks! `

1 Like

What happing with the sound theme ? Will it be shipped with 18.04 or just with the new community theme ?
I personally really like it, particularly the log in sound.

That’s really not up to me, but it’s already in the community theme. I don’t think it will be in the Ambiance session. I see the community theme as a complete package.

6 Likes

Yeah, that was my thought: let’s make one package of big changes to delight the users with the new experience once ready :wink:

5 Likes

OK … just my 2-cents:

1. Bongo-Drums in the old lightdm unity-greeter was irritating at best and goofy at worst. Hard to disable for end-user and the volume control was inconsistent between reboots and updates.

2. System-Sounds is one of the first things I mute after install in the Sound settings. Ding-ding everytime I tab-complete in the terminal is maddening!