Monday 3rd December 2018

Hi everyone, below you will find the updates from the Desktop team from the last week.

If you’re interested in discussing a topic please start a thread in the Desktop area of the Community Hub (this site).
We also have our weekly meeting on IRC. We meet on Tuesday at 13:30 UTC in #ubuntu-desktop on Freenode. There will be an “Any Other Business” section at the end where you are welcome to raise topics. These topics might be discussed during the meeting, or afterwards depending on the time, depth of conversation, topic and so on.

Last week’s notes are here: Monday 26th November 2018
Next week’s note are here: Monday 10th December

1 Like
2 Likes

No change on release bugs from last week.

1 Like

Mutter

GNOME Shell

GNOME Errands

Sponsoring queue

:cuba:

3 Likes

snapd

• Fixed handling help URLs in snapd PR
  • Add a check in snapd’s cls-check to for members of canonical team PR

snaps

• gnome-3-28-1804-sdk build snap work
1 Like

:computer_mouse: Gnome Shell performance (stutter | latency | CPU):

:computer_mouse: Gnome Shell other:

:house: Housekeeping:

:bug: Bug management:

• :pick: Backlogs progress:
    • :chart_with_downwards_trend: Good news (falling backlogs): xorg (note this isn’t the real Xorg, which is why it’s falling)
    • :chart_with_upwards_trend: Bad news (consistently growing backlogs): ubiquity, xorg-server (the real Xorg).
7 Likes
  • sponsoring a fix from andrea for update-manager/livepatch reminder (disco & bionic)
  • sponsored g-c-c 3.30.2/cosmic
  • sponsored the ubuntu-dock fixes from marco&andrea (disco)
  • some HR boring paperwork
  • reviewed u-c-c/u-s-d changes
  • updated rygel following the first round of MIR review
  • quite some launchpad & errors bug triaging
  • looked at some of the items blocked in proposed
2 Likes

Continue workig with Jean-Baptiste on new installer plan:

• Search through Curtin documentation and code for global structure and understands how the yaml definition work. How to skip the partitioner path for now, so that we can simply starts our test with “copy this there”.
  • Proposed some changes (https://code.launchpad.net/~jibel/curtin/+git/add-layer-images-support/+merge/359761) for adding layers and sublayer support work.
  • Fix some bugs that we spotted in livecd-rootfs (network-manager) while testing our own image.
  • Tested installing ubuntu-desktop-minimal + language and ubuntu-desktop + language via a very simple, pre-partitioned target. We only provide a simple curtin.yaml definition with our patch, and it works \o/
  • Look at ubiquity and some intermediate strategy to move some pieces from ubiquity to what is needed.
  • Made the complete list of what curtin is missing for our desktop environment.
  • Work on defining workflows for new user setup and secondary users/OEM via GNOME Initial Setup.

No rls bug assigned.

2 Likes
  • nautilus/desktop icons:
    • More work on the desktop-icons MR for launching desktop files after a couple of review rounds - ready for another one.
    • The package got accepted to experimental, synced that to Ubuntu
    • And wrote the MIR
    • Got a candidate version with k-alam’s patches and started a lively thread on here to talk about it, which got a little bit derailed
  • Did some package merges to get my list down
  • Helped with qtbase in disco-proposed blocking some stuff, fixed it to properly expose gles dependencies on the right arches.
  • Helped a little bit with perl and some other transitions in -proposed too.
  • Some reviews, like mutter for duflu.
3 Likes
  • Removed the old webkitgtk from Debian and Ubuntu. This week’s work involved fixing syndie and othman and RM bug paperwork.
  • Removed gnome-sharp2 as part of the libgnome removal.
  • Emailed debian-devel with the current status of libgnome and related removals
  • Did the hunspell and libzip transition rebuilds
  • Fixed a couple packages for the poppler transition
  • Switched a few main packages from cdbs to dh
  • Dropped some obsolete rules files from gnome-pkg-tools
  • Did a dozen GNOME package updates in Debian
  • Filed a bug (fixed by mclasen) to fix some emoji not showing in color. Will investigate later for cherry-picking and SRUing.
  • Started to test the desktop-icons extension. Filed a bug and a trivial merge proposal. Accidentally derailed the Nautilus thread.
  • Learned the difference between -O1 and Wl, -O1
2 Likes

snapd:

• I received new review comments on the user session systemd daemon support PR this week, which I responded to. @jdstrand brought up the question about session daemons with access to X11 could be used to build key loggers, but I don’t think this is markedly worse than the existing XDG autostart support.

• I’ve put up a work in progress PR for dbus service activation. This is heavily based on mvo’s old PR 2592, but generalised to handle both system and session services.

To make things easier to review, I’ve kept the branch independent of the user daemons PR. But it will be pretty easy to have session bus services managed by the user systemd instance.

I’ve got reasonable unit test coverage, but I’m still getting the Spread tests integrated into the new branch. I wouldn’t be surprised if that shows up problems on Ubuntu 14.04 or non-Ubuntu distros checked by Spread.

• Once the above two PRs are in a shape the snapd devs are happy with, it should be relatively simple to build GNOME shell search provider support on top.

2 Likes

This was a short week, I was offline on Friday and Monday.

firefox24 firefox

• fixed bug #1801383 (WifiSyslog apport hook), committed to bzr branches, will make it to the next firefox stable update
  • bug #1765304 (ibus package breaks password fields in Firefox): built test gnome-shell packages in a PPA with cherry-picked upstream commit and verified that this fixes the problem, submitted a merge request to prepare a bionic SRU

chromium22 chromium

• updated dev to 72.0.3622.0

libreoffice24-margin libreoffice

:bug: rls-bb-tracking bugs

• bug #1754671 in network-manager: still being tested from test PPA with 1.10.14, if conclusive we can consider SRUing
  • bug #1799230 in libreoffice: built in bionic-proposed, need to validate and update the autopkgtest hints
  • bug #1802208 in libreoffice: no progress since last week

:bug: rls-cc-tracking bugs

• bug #1803142 in libreoffice: in cosmic-proposed unapproved queue
1 Like

My week:

• cups-browsed: Fixed a bug of cups-browsed identifying temporary CUPS queue due to CUPS being unreliable in reporting whether a queue is temporary. This made cups-browsed missing to make such queues permanent and the queues disappeared suddenly.
  • cups-filters: More fixes for Poppler compatibility. Now the standard configuration builds with Poppler 0.71.
  • ghostscript: Backported a fix of a bug which prevented non-default page sizes being printed in duplex on some PostScript printers.
  • ghostscript: Forwarded another security bug to the Ubuntu security team.
  • Disco: Set up Disco on a VM for testing in Disco environment.
  • OpenPrinting web site: Continued coordination of web site renovation.
  • Bugs.
1 Like