Monday 18th February 2019

Hi everyone, below you will find the updates from the Desktop team from the last week.

If you’re interested in discussing a topic please start a thread in the Desktop area of the Community Hub (this site).
We also have our weekly meeting on IRC. We meet on Tuesday at 13:30 UTC in #ubuntu-desktop on Freenode. There will be an “Any Other Business” section at the end where you are welcome to raise topics. These topics might be discussed during the meeting, or afterwards depending on the time, depth of conversation, topic and so on.

Last week’s notes are here: Monday 11th February 2019
Next week’s notes are here: https://community.ubuntu.com/t/monday-25th-february-2019/9959

:older_man: Unity 7:

:package: Packaging:

:rainbow: GNOME:

• :railway_track: Tracker:
    • Update MR to fix leaks and memory corruption in tracker following upstream review.
    • Proposed MR to port tracker functional-test to python3.
  • :red_circle: Online Accounts:

:shield: Livepatch :

• Update branch to add a livepatch tab to software-properties-gtk following review.

:gem: Others:

• coordinating with upstream/IS/legal team to ensure a smooth transition in xenial following new Google Privacy Policy.
3 Likes
3 Likes

GNOME

• Cherry-picked a ruby-gnome fix which ended up being the last thing we needed to get the glib update in to disco.
  • Helped with the gnome-control-center info page crash fix. I also updated 2 other Ubuntu patches.
  • Fixed Ubuntu’s gnome-desktop3 build. Submitted a fix to GNOME to enable the gnome-desktop tests to more easily pass outside of minimal build environments.
  • Uploaded Epiphany 3.31.91 to Debian Unstable and Ubuntu 19.04 after working with upstream on a few build issues.
  • Sponsored the GNOME Online Accounts update for andyrock. We switched to using an .svg icon instead of a binary .png for Ubuntu One which makes applying our patch a bit cleaner.
  • Uploaded gnome-sound-recorder after fixing recording by cherry-picking a gst-plugins-good1.0 commit.
  • Released gnome-tetravex 3.31.91 (upstream)
  • Packaged geary 0.13, the first major geary update in over a year. Among its other many improvements is support for GNOME Online Accounts. Please test and report bugs. I believe the developer is planning a 3.32 release next month to align with GNOME version numbering.

Blocked updates

MIRs

• The libnfs MIR was approved, allowing us to sync gvfs directly from Debian.
  • The gsound MIR was approved, allowing gnome-control-center 3.31.90 in to Ubuntu 19.04.
  • Filed libhandy MIR (not needed for Ubuntu 19.04).
  • xdg-dbus-proxy MIR is needed for webkitgtk 2.24 !!

Debian

• Proposed a fix for dh-python’s tox test support
  • Proposed several improvements to libhandy’s packaging, some of which were noticed during the MIR.
  • gnome-books and file-manager-actions made it through the Debian and Ubuntu NEW queues.

Ubuntu

Snaps

• Enabled automatic candidate and edge channel builds for Five or More and Hitori
  • Published the Five or More, GNOME 2048, and GNOME Hitori snaps to stable.
  • Rebuilt some snaps with the candidate version of snapcraft to reduce their size back to normal.
  • Spent time with Ken wondering why Clutter apps don’t work with core18 on Wayland unless we bundle clutter-gtk (which significantly increases their size and duplicates the library staged in the gnome-3-28-1804 snap)
  • Discussed whether snapcraft should accept YAMLs in a build-aux/ directory. (Currently snapcraft only looks in the root directory and a snap/ directory.
  • Proposed adding more Ubuntu flavor default themes to gtk-common-themes

Other

• I wasn’t able to do nearly as much this week as I wanted to because I’m only a volunteer here and need to do other things to pay my bills.
7 Likes