Monday 15th October 2018

Hi everyone, below you will find the updates from the Desktop team from the last week.

If you’re interested in discussing a topic please start a thread in the Desktop area of the Community Hub (this site).
We also have our weekly meeting on IRC. We meet on Tuesday at 13:30 UTC in #ubuntu-desktop on Freenode. There will be an “Any Other Business” section at the end where you are welcome to raise topics. These topics might be discussed during the meeting, or afterwards depending on the time, depth of conversation, topic and so on.

Last week’s notes are here: Monday 8th October 2018
Next week here: Monday 22nd October 2018

2 Likes
  1. Bug fixing:
    1. gnome-control-center crashes in whoopsie_properties_changed (MP, Bug, Status: Cosmic 🗹 )
    2. gnome-control-center crashes after closing the input chooser dialog and switching panel (MP, Bug, Status: Cosmic 🗹)
    3. gnome-control-center crashes in ls_enabled_state_changed (MP, Bug, Status: Merged Upstream)
    4. Almost fixed the crash on gnome-shell debugexit. Working on a way to test the change.
    5. Working on the gdm issue
1 Like

GJS:

GDM:

Nautilus:

Yaru with GTK 3.18

• I’m working to apply Yaru’s theme modifications to the Adwaita 3.18 SASS code.

xdg-desktop-portal:

• I investigated bug 1691649, which shows that the xdg-desktop-portal service will segfault if it can’t start xdg-desktop-portal-gtk for some reason (mostly timeouts looking at the error reports).
  • I’ve put together xdg-desktop-portal#236 as a fix for the segfault. Upstream merged the change here.
  • I don’t have a good indication of the cause of the timeouts: many of the error reports appear to come from the live session so it could just be IO starvation.

snapd:

• Filed bug 1797556
1 Like

:computer_mouse: Gnome Shell:

:beetle: Bug management:

• Backlogs progress:
    • :chart_with_downwards_trend: Good news for firefox, xorg, thunderbird, chromium-browser, pulseaudio, bluez, ubuntu-themes.
    • :chart_with_upwards_trend: Bad news for ubiquity, nautilus, apport, grub2, xorg-server, and alsa-driver (newly added - I will start attacking it in the coming weeks).
  • Some updates from last week’s ISO testing bugs
    • Keyboard backlight controls not working turned out to be a regression in cosmic, and a fix is already upstream. We will need to update upower at some point but it’s not a major priority since nobody else seems to have noticed the regression in 18.10 yet.
    • Grub high boot delay is now fixed in cosmic.
2 Likes

firefox24 firefox

• firefox 63 (latest beta) now builds successfully on all supported series in the beta PPA, thanks @ricotz for backporting NodeJS 8.11 to trusty along with all its build dependencies ; it is being released as stable this week
  • triaged incoming bugs

chromium22 chromium

• continuing investigation of the snap dev branch build failures on !amd64
  • tested building the chromium snap against core18, this apparently works well and fixes a couple of outstanding issues (bug #1771380, bug #1791307), but unfortunately xdg-open doesn’t work with core18, so it’s not ready for prime time
  • ordered yubikey 4 to test U2F-related bugs (bug #1796746, bug #1738164)
  • updated beta branch to 70.0.3538.54
  • updated dev branch to 71.0.3573.0 and fixed widevine patch that stopped working in the process
  • rebuilt snap in the stable channel to pick up security fixes in the xenial archive

libreoffice24-margin libreoffice

• reviewed a Lubuntu patch
  • rebuilt snap in the stable channel to pick up security fixes in the xenial archive
  • followed up with upstream on autopkgtest failures with OpenJDK 11 (bug #1796361): submitted a patch to trigger discussion

Please take time to fill out the Release Notes today. Reviewers and user use that to get an idea of what we’ve been working on this release cycle.

1 Like
  • synced some updates from Debian (bolt, eog, file-roller)
  • tweaks to the versions packages list and minor bugfixes
  • tried to help Robert using gbp for gnome-software with some mixed success (sorted out at the end thanks for others helping)
  • updated zenity (debian & cosmic)
  • updated iio-sensor-proxy
  • sponsored g-s-d [fix from oem] (https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gnome-settings-daemon/merge_requests/57) for a suspend/resume certification issue
  • reviewed/fixed some ftbfs issues
  • demoted notification-daemon
  • backported the xdg-desktop-portal fix from James to cosmic
  • SRUed a gnome-initial-setup change to point to the right livepatch legal notice webpage
  • reviewed/sponsored nautilus recent-files-segfault fix from Marco
  • discussed a bit nm/vpn/dns leakage bug
  • Test checkbox snap on different desktop distros
  • Fix CI jobs for ubuntu-system-tests

I’m sorry I’ve been busy at the release sprint so I got to this quite late. Therefore…

• At the release sprint, been trying to fix a bug with language support in ubiquity. Oops though, that caused a crash so we had to follow up on that.
  • Also random other reviews and followups.
  • A bit more work on CanGraphical stuff inside GDM (!37 upstream); MP should be good in and of itself, but concerned it’s not a sensible approach.

My week:

• Google Summer of Code 2018: Travelled to Sunnyvale to attend the Mentor Summit at Google

• First Mentor Summit for me after 10 years org admin for the Linux Foundation
    • Met many people of many different free software projects
    • Got an invitation to FOSSASIA Conference in Singapore March 14-17, 2019
    • Got feedback about a printing tutorial which I held in Brasil (on FISL) 15 years ago
    • We showed off a video where our students talked about their projects, plus a success story of a 2008 student (Lars übernickel, now Karlitski) who made it to Engineering Manager at Red Hat, all in a 3-minute Lightning Talk.
    • Got a lot of T-Shirts G-Socks and other stuff
  • Started off OpenPrinting web site renovation with several students of GSoC 2017 and 2018 volunteering.

• Bugs.

Till