Mockups/new design discussions

So, basically use dark variant menus? I believe @3v1n0 already asked for something similar

What about popups and notifications?

1 Like

In this scenario notifications should stay light imho, because they overlap the dark headerbar. Adwaita doesnt have this problem because they have everything light in the gtk theme
And dialogues are currently both light in the gtk and shell I think this is fine and our “friendly dialogues” idea still works.
But we could also try a completely dark approach. I don’t know if we did take into account that dark notifications can have a different dark than headerbars. Back then we had several problems which we have fixed now: headerbar/shell color, osd border, drop shadows

Edit: no, not the same color as the dark gtk3 menus. The shell popup color (jet, with transluscent borders) for everything in the gtk theme (menus, context menus, popovers). We wouldnt change anything in the shell

2 Likes

Work in progress, but this is how it could look like for both light and dark

2 Likes

I could make 1 branch for each colour version we like to try. Maybe you are right and we would need to go full dark again by this logic. Maybe not :smile:
Let’s wait for the others to find this thread

1 Like

It’s probably because it’s semi-transparent, but the menu is actually darker in the dark variant. #222222 in light variant and #1d1d1d in the dark one. This way the distance from the headerbar color is probably too evident in the dark variant

1 Like

I guess this is 19.04 material, correct? (It’s really too late to change something that fundamental for 18.10 IMHO). What do you think?

2 Likes

Okay, I make a PR to test it after 18.10 release then? Or can I make it earlier because we just stop merging into 18.10?

As you wish, I’ll say let’s keep master for 18.10 until we release

2 Likes

I’m pretty much done now. Will provide a testing PR after 18.10 release

this has a nice sideeffect for chromium & electron (since electron is chromium based). It fixes the issue with electron always using the light menus, by … having dark menu for all variants ^^

3 Likes

Looks great @frederik-f, but I’ve noticed an issue with the screenshots you’ve posted… I believe the date for world domination is the 18th October 2018 :smile:

4 Likes

Great work indeed. I tested the branch and the effect is very nice :+1:

1 Like

So, if you really want that to enter cosmic as this seems to be a really big shift in term of visual impact, you need today to open an UIF expression so that we release all that on Monday.
Does it seem feasable or crazy?

And great work! It looks really good :wink:

Edit: and I don’t only say that because the vscode top bar becomes dark with that changes, even if that’s a big improvement for me using it daily :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

Thanks for the work!

I agree, it’s way better at my eyes… Also thank you for pursuing so hard on my suggestion :wink:

Having an UIFe for this would be nice, but really don’t stress too much if it’s not a problem for you guys to wait next cycle.

Keep up the awesome work!

4 Likes

I’m sorry that’s a misunderstanding.

I reported that shell menus are hard to see against dark backgrounds. I said that one solution to this problem would be for shell menus to use the same colors as dark-theme app menus.

I did not wonder why “menus have different colors … in light and dark versions of the gtk theme”. They have different colors for the same reason that most other controls do — because that’s the whole point of having light and dark versions.

That could improve consistency in one way, by reducing the number of colors used for controls overall.

But it would make consistency worse in a different way, by making the light theme less consistent with itself.

And it would do nothing to help the original problem of shell menus being hard to see against dark backgrounds.

1 Like

For this we changed the color of the border, some days ago :slight_smile:

Oh then sorry for the misunderstanding?
Did you try the PR? What’s your opinion on that?

1 Like

@jaggers
Welcome to the team :slight_smile:
(You can make posts here now)

3 Likes

Thank you very much!!

5 Likes

Today I noticed that the top bar is now ever-so-slightly darker in transparent mode than the launcher (i.e., less transparent?):

FWIW I have a mild preference for the launcher and the top bar to be the same, as previously. I dimly recall seeing a post about this somewhere but can’t work out where. Of course, it may simply be that this was discussed and the majority prefers the slight difference!

Is this a new bug? There’s a releated bug here that has been fixed: https://github.com/ubuntu/yaru/pull/904 :grin:

This is expected. Unfortunately bionic and cosmic now ship different dock versions

2 Likes