Mir-test-tools as a snap

For a long time now we have had test tools that help with device bring-up and with ensuring that we can run our example applications. Until now that has been available as the mir-test-tools package. However, this doesn’t “play nice” with Ubuntu Core and as a result I’ve been been working to repackage the mir-test-tools as a snap and make it available in the snap store.

I’m pleased to announce a release candidate of the mir-test-tools snap. This makes it easy to run the following tests:

• sudo snap run mir-test-tools.basic-test
    (This runs a very simple test to prove that a Mir server and client can be started and connect to each other.)

• sudo snap run mir-test-tools.smoke-test
    (This runs each of the example Mir clients and reports any that fail)

• sudo snap run mir-test-tools.stress-test
    (This runs the mir_stress client - adjust the length of the test with --test-timeout <seconds>)

• sudo snap run mir-test-tools.qt-test
    (This runs a simple Qt client and reports if it fail)

• sudo snap run mir-test-tools.sdl2-test
    (This runs an SDL2 client and reports if it fail)

All of these commands report to the console and will set the return to non-zero if the test fails. That’s convenient for the tools running running automated tests on reference hardware.

In addition, there’s a debugging option that starts a bash session with the environment set up for the tests:

• sudo snap run mir-test-tools.bash

I’ve tested this on 18.04LTS desktop and Core16 on RPi3.

You might notice that this uses the development version of Mir. That’s because I had to make some minor changes to the test programs to get them running in a snap.

Get it from the Snap Store

2 Likes