GNOME 3.28 Status

@jbicha

Since Ubuntu now also uses xorg by default, can this be distro-patched for the time being until the patch get accepted in Debian? Otherwise it will create problem if people have both Gnome and Unity session installed.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gtk3-nocsd/+bug/1745206

I updated to the current 3.26.2 version and backported one of the upstream commit. We should review if there are other fixes from 3.27 that make sense to backport and ask upstream if they can commit those and roll another 3.26 update

Yes, that cherry pick was the reason to ask for a snapshot. It seems worth having. Thanks for updating.

Will gnome-games be updated as well? I know that there wasn’t a .90/91 release but Adrien Plazas works at purism now and has probably less time than before. I guess that 3.27.2 will probably become 3.28.

Gnome-games should go in before feature freeze, I guess?

That’s already discussed in the original post here. It’ll probably need a Feature Freeze Exception because it will be late.

@khurshid-alam Please subscribe Ubuntu Sponsors to the gtk3-nocsd bug. Also, try pinging Debian again (Debian is mostly volunteers and they sometimes miss bugs unless you ask again.)

Yes the the patch is not very invasive in terms of upstream code, however the other code is still code with the potential for bugs as the underlying GNOME components change with each release. That other code still requires maintenance!

However the real question is do people feel we need to keep this tool still. Upstream dropped it circa 2014 and afaik no other distro has kept it around, only Ubuntu. Obviously things have changed a little bit since 2014!

I have ported the gnome-session-properties patch to Meson to avoid blocking the FFe (LP: #1752928) while a decision is made to whether we keep it or not.

Updated packages are on gnome3-staging PPA for testing.

1 Like

I think that fix could be interesting: https://github.com/GNOME/nautilus/commit/c01dda948340c8cec20a7fb0d41ab47e5f52839c

Close a Nautilus tab by middle clicking it. That would be the same behaviour like in Firefox.

@jbicha et al I was watching the Gnome-Projects short video announcing this release. I noticed that a new app, Fractal (new to me anyways) that did chat streams, IRC and I believe others. Yet I can’t find that in the Ubuntu repo’s. Is there a reason this app wasn’t included in our Gnome 3.28? Not a biggie, just wondering as I liked the features. See timeframe at 0.22 of the video

Fractal is a Rust app and will be more complicated for someone to package in Debian or Ubuntu. I think it needs some more dependencies packaged too. I’m not working on it at all, but someone else is welcome to!

https://gitlab.gnome.org/danigm/fractal

1 Like

Tanks, I’ll take a look. Not familiar with RUST unfortunately.

Will gnome-games stay on 3.26? Or is there still a chance for 3.28?

I expect that Ubuntu 18.04 LTS will offer the 3.28 version of the GNOME Games app. We are currently waiting for the new version of retro-gtk to be accepted from Debian’s NEW queue.

2 Likes

The GNOME Games app has been updated to 3.28 in Ubuntu 18.04.

Are ubuntu developers replacing traditional GNOME Apps with snap ones? I just noticed there are some snap apps in my fresh installed and updated Ubuntu 18.04, whose version is very old and cost a lot of disk space. I tried gnome-calculator and gnome-system-monitor, it takes a long time to open first time and makes my laptop fan very loud for a while. If I want to use the newer ones like 3.28, can I safely remove them and reinstall with apt command.

2 Likes

Commits or changes I need to be backported:

Plus more to be backported probably, will add later.

I think that is the idea yes. Snaps update silently in the background and aren’t broken by upgrading dependencies (they control what dependencies they use) so, by moving to snaps for the default desktop apps, people will get updates on any Ubuntu version and thus won’t need to rely on inherently risky GNOME PPAs or complain that Ubuntu is outdated. If there are bugs with the snaps then report them! snap - snapcraft.io can be a good place to report bugs with specific snaps, you can also try reporting with ubuntu-bug insert-appname-here and add the snap tag, [snap] to the bug title, and give the tracking and installed lines of snap info core and snap info insert-appname-here as well as snap version.

GNOME 3.26 is the GNOME version that is used in Ubuntu 17.10 (an older version is used in Ubuntu 16.04 LTS), presumably the update to 3.28 will be out at some point. As for the disk space…@niemeyer (the snapd lead) thinks snappy is doing fine on this front. Programs like 0 A.D., for example, are 1.5 GB installed from APT and 850 MB installed from snappy. At the moment, snappy stores the current snap version and two previous version so that reverts can be done if necessary, but this will be made customizable. If you have more objections and suggestions for snappy to improve in this regard then file a topic in snapd - snapcraft.io.

The launch time is a problem across many different snaps and is being worked on. As for your laptop fan, if you can give some stats (maybe your CPU temperature) for the Deb and for the snap and put this in a bug report against the offending apps, that would be useful!

If you want to use the 3.28 versions of the apps then please wait for them to come out! If you use snap info insert-appname-here you can see the versions that are available to install (this should also be possible via Software if you click on an app and then the button next to ‘Channel’), then use snap refresh insert-appname-here --insert-channelname-here to refresh to the version that you want. You will be kept on that track, so if you refresh to edge you may be put on 3.29 without you realizing, so do make sure you switch back when 3.28 is released to stable.

Please do all the above if you have the time etc, but yes you should be able to just snap remove the relevant apps and apt install them :slight_smile:

1 Like

@ads20000 Thanks for your reply. You explained a lot about snap app. For me, take gnome-calculator as example, as a lightweight app, the launch time is very hard to bear, like I am opening a heavyweight 3D game. That is the key factor which stops me using snap. But I would be happy to try again if things get better some time. Again thank you very much.

1 Like