Features that might come into 19.10

Happy 19.04 release. (It is also my half birthday)

Anyways, here are features that might kick into 19.10, this would be a great post like the other one, but it’s never too early to brainstorm!

• LibreOffice 6.1
  • A few new improvements to Yaru
  • Possibility, features that will adjust all of Yaru, such as shell theme, or Yaru-Blue theme
  • Maybe folder-color for Yaru theme
  • Maybe deepin-desktop access on 19.04 (my dream desktop), same for flurry
  • And many more adjustments as we get used to the GNOME Shell! Celebrating one year.

Remember that just like Bionic, Eaon daily builds are made at iso.qa.ubuntu.com , so you can always check to make sure that they have added in your ideas. You can also test other supported flavors there too.

Hope we’ll be able to get Yaru for other DEs, like Plasma, Unity, MATE, etc.

1 Like

Well, that is possible, it just depends weather it is using GTK2 or GTK3.

I would like to see these functionalities (but at least for now some of them should not receive significant improvements):

• Welcome Screen with more features (but according to an interview there is no such intention);

• Ubuntu Dock with more features;

• Yaru White Theme variant (but for now it seems that there is also no such intention);

• Support for icons on the desktop improved;

• Ubuntu Software improved;

• Improvement of applications that have not received updates for a long time, such as Software and Updates.

1 Like

Have you heard of the Grub Customizer? It is a third-party application used to customize Grub. The welcome screen (which is part of gdm3) can be customized, but is complicated. So that would be third party.

The Ubuntu Dock seems fine, but for example, coloring it and styling it, would never ever hurt. Remember you can change the top bar using GNOME Extensions and Tweaks.

For the Yaru Theme, I considered in the past making a theme pack with different Yaru colors, but it isn’t worth it. Besides, Yaru is new. Theme updates are comming quickly.

Everything that needs to be improved is working on it. The desktop however is ran by GNOME Shell. And software is really built on gnome-software, but the apps are customized for people who use Ubuntu.

1 Like

Have you heard of the Grub Customizer? It is a third-party application used to customize Grub. The welcome screen (which is part of gdm3) can be customized, but is complicated. So that would be third party.

I was referring to something like the Welcome Screen of Linux Mint, Ubuntu Mate and Ubuntu Budgie, which I think makes the distro more user-friendly for new users.

The Ubuntu Dock seems fine, but for example, coloring it and styling it, would never ever hurt. Remember you can change the top bar using GNOME Extensions and Tweaks.

Yes I know that everything can be customized, but I think the Ubuntu Dock should have more features by default. For there is no need to install new extensions or change options in dconf, which makes it more user-friendly. But it’s just my opinion.

Ubuntu was the most user-friendly distro. But currently I think Linux Mint is better prepared to get new users. I liked to see Ubuntu again in the front.

To do that, Ubuntu should find itself with something original, like Unity.
It was hard at the beginning with Unity, but it was worth it, for Ubuntu is a brand now. But with gnome shell? It would be just running after Fedora.

The Ubuntu dock is just a reminiscence, never catching up with Unity Launcher.

2 Likes

The Welcome Screen is something to ask for. Otherwise we could build it using HTML and run it on Electron, make it a snap, and then implement it into Ubuntu.

Ubuntu’s real comparison now is Fedora. Linux Mint isn’t really involved. If Ubuntu wanted to be most user-friendly, they would’ve said by now, and probably wouldn’t have gotten rid of Unity.

1 Like

Icons on the desktop is such a great extension. I know it is used by 100% of people, but what now need is an entry in GNOME setting (similar to Dock) where we can toggle on an off the icons we want to see on the Desktop along with improvements.

1 Like

I think with the implementation of some improvements it is possible, even with Gnome Shell.

The word “even” says a lot!

At risk of sounding like a scratched record, performance! The work done for disco is excellent, but there are still a whole bunch of areas where shell performance is low:

• Opening activities (no jank anymore, but very low framerates)
  • Multi-monitor (both in X and Wayland) - framerates are generally pretty low when driving 3 1080p screens as opposed to a single 4k screen (i7700hq, both in intel graphics as well as GTX-1050 with nvidia proprietary drivers).
1 Like

Well, Eaon EANIMAL test builds are starting so it might come into place, we have six months

Also remember that Eaon is one of the versions, like Bionic, that can be tested daily, so you can always check it out, and see if they made your suggestions. Will make an edit for this.

Very helpful information. Thanks for updating.

Something to think about: Will newer versions of Cinnamon be added to repos? If Ubuntu Cinnamon isn’t out by September then would they have an updated non-3.8.9v package? (besides ubuntu-cinnamon-package if it comes out)

remember - packaging of cinnamon is done by the Debian Cinnamon team. So any changes done by them flows to Ubuntu automatically up-to the feature freeze date (August).

Ubuntu dock should have a option to disable, like the rest of extensions, the only way to get ride out of it is uninstalling. The same with desktop icons. Why? Because some people like gnome 3 and don’t like unity.

Well, you can use gnome-tweak-tool for disabling the extensions. However you can’t disable Desktop extensions, and if you don’t want it, you can do sudo apt-get install ubuntu-gnome-desktop.

You could use vanilla GNOME by sudo apt install gnome-session