Cursor theme discussion

It actually isn’t that one we’re using atm :wink: It’s #13 here

They are simply ideas (collaboration in the open). Many ideas failed horribly as a cursor, but I wanted to share it anyway - some people might enjoy them. The size was also just an experiment.

There is only one serious suggestion and only one will ship with the final theme - and I think you’ll find the size more fitting. This is basically just a blue version of the “process-working-symbolic” (as I contacted you about :wink: ).

Why is the watch (busy) cursor black and white when the watch pointer has color in your theme @snwh ?
:thinking: EDIT: Sorry, I didn’t see your post above :blush:

I disagree :slight_smile: We don’t have to spent time discussing this, because I think the pointer in your repo looks great. Did you try the Communitheme snap @snwh? Maybe it more “less shadow” than “shadowless” :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
I’m not an icon designer. The reason I started this work, was because I found the DMZ that ships with Ubuntu blurry.

1 Like

Not sure why DMZ is blurry (it appears be fine on my computer) any sort of display scaling or cursor size tweaking may be messing with it? Also, that community theme cursor looks a heck of a lot like the Windows Aero cursor.

@madsrh contacted me where about process-working-symbolic? (If it wasn’t directly, via email or as an issue report against the Suru icons, I didn’t get it.)

IMHO this has nothing to do with scaling. I think it’s pretty clear from the image above.

It does! Which works great!

PM here on 1. feb. but I can see that you did read the message yet. I also wrote an email which you did reply to :wink:

I’ll be watching that repo :+1: keep up the good work :smiley:

2 Likes

I don’t think we want to have another level of inheritance, especially for things desiged for communitheme. I would say either we have the project hosted in the ubuntu/ namespace and have them part of the community, or we may decide going on another direction.

I’m not fully confortable with the amount of participation in the community from the Suru icon theme work itself (as others mentioned here). Do you plan fixing on this by communicating here more? For instance, there has been quite some comments on the icon theme on the forum itself on things to get fixed and it didn’t seem to get traction.

I think those things would need an answer to see where we are going for the default theme selection, knowing that any changes here delays as well cosmic default inclusion.

Any opinons from others?

4 Likes

I believe we recommend that the feedback should be reported as an issue in Sams repo.

I don’t think we want to have another level of inheritance, especially for things desiged for communitheme. I would say either we have the project hosted in the ubuntu/ namespace and have them part of the community, or we may decide going on another direction.

I hope I’m not stepping on anyone’s toes here, but @snwh is there any chance that you would consider including the “process-working-symbolic” (in lack of a better name) spinner in your theme? or would that be a half-baked solution to you :man_shrugging:

1 Like

I am not part of the team but I’m glad to read your words here @didrocks . I’m also very much appreciate your humble
reaction @madsrh. My opinion is very clear and straight forward. we already have a good cursor theme. I don’t think we need another one.

It’s not at all toe-stepping! The process-working-symbolic icon doesn’t have anything to do with the cursor theme, it’s for busy indicator within the UI, but I’ll add it as soon as I can. Sorry, I lose track of requests that aren’t direct issues on the theme’s github repo.

1 Like

I don’t think we want to have another level of inheritance

It wouldn’t be another level. The communitheme cursor theme appears incomplete anyway so it has to inherit something to have a full cursor set. My comment was that since cursors are already integrated into Suru, it need only inherit that (more specifically, in the cursor.theme file have Suru instead of DMZ-White as it currently does) if any or all of the 10+ cursors above ship.

there has been quite some comments on the icon theme on the forum itself on things to get fixed and it didn’t seem to get traction.

I’m not sure what you mean about “things getting fixed” with the icons, I’ve always asked for direct feedback on the GitHub repository regarding since it’s easier to manage issues that way when I get a chance to work on the icons and some of what is in the forums has been relayed upstream to the repo’s issue tracker.

Unfortunately, I don’t have all the time I would like to participate in forum discussions.

Glad to hear that you don’t have delicate feet :rofl: :footprints:
I know what the process-working-symbolic is for, but what I meant was that we are using it as the busy cursor too :wink: Did you try the theme? I think my rambling will make sense to you then :smiley:

1 Like

Indeed, but current inheritance is based on a theme which is already on the system, not a new one. It seems sad (and bad for performance anyway) to have to jump to another folder everytime an icon or cursor icon isn’t found, which will be the case for all of them but one!

Any chance that if we go with your cursor (and icon) themes, that we all work from a single one instead of having to fork it as you requested on the ubuntu namespace for the icon them? (and we have to do regular rebases, not everyone having the rights to contribute to communitheme can contribute to the Suru icon theme… doesn’t sound optimal to me).

This is basically what I ask for to be more “part of the community”. As I understand you don’t have a lot of time for this, you will get contributions as well this way! :slight_smile:

1 Like

My logic for suggesting forking to the ubuntu namespace was that the fork would serve as a snapshot of the “upstream” Suru icons prior to an Ubuntu release and not that that fork would become the primary one for development or contributions. I.e. it would simply exist for packaging’s sake.

As an upstream project, the icons are as open to contributions as any other and anyone can open a pull request, which is optimal for how I’d like it maintained. Since I started the icon project prior to this whole “communitheme” initiative, I much prefer maintaining final review on any changes to it, so the design remains cohesive and the result is professional. Frankly, in my experience, the community isn’t known for it’s icon design chops.

1 Like

In this case, though, since it’s the Communitheme, I guess the community would like to have a go :stuck_out_tongue: I think your proposal makes sense though, the Communitheme/Ubuntu should have a fork of the Suru icons so that customizations that deviate from your design can be made, but we could still contribute to your design with PRs.

1 Like

Could you please include the blue progress working indicator in the suru icon theme? The blue fits in the unity8 spirit we tried to revive with the communitheme (that’s actually only the working title ;)). All progress bars are blue.
If this is really no option for you then maybe you could adapt your indicator (the black spinning disk without the cursor above it) to the blue Nr 13 from the communitheme cursor set?

3 Likes

Will the suru cursors be included in the snap package?

Its works very nicely with the rest of it.

One of the issues I see with this approach is that the design of the theme and the icons needs to be closely aligned. In an ideal scenario these are designed by the same team with an overarching vision.

However, the Suru design seems to be set in stone, and there hasn’t been much collaboration between the gtk/shell designers and you. This has resulted in the unfortunate situation that the Communitheme design is bounded by what is compatible with the Suru icon theme design.

Creating issues and pull requests doesn’t seem like a good way to discuss and evolve the holistic (suru + gtk/shell) design. The design discussions for communitheme happen in a separate forum thread and the designers have scheduled a number of hangout calls to quickly sync and make decisions. This isn’t something that is easy to translate to PR’s and issues. Moreover, it would be really useful to get your input on gtk/shell design for aspects where there are parallels/similarities to the icon design. For example the lighting & depth of the gtk buttons vs the lighting & depth of the icons and all the different ways to signal something is “busy”.

I understand that you want the icon design to remain cohesive, and I’m sure that is the goal of the gtk/shell designers too, but as the Communitheme project we want the entire desktop to be cohesive, from icons to gtk to cursors to sound, and I don’t feel as if the current setup makes that possible.

What do you think?

4 Likes

They’re already included, I’ve been using them for some weeks already. Head to Tweaks > Appearance > Cursor > Suru (the default is set to Communitheme).

2 Likes