Cursor theme discussion

Yes! @jasonflindt asked for this too. I’ve added #13 as a black option too, but it’s not working 100%. The left_side used for scaling windows is white and so on. I seems it doesn’t inherits icons from DMZ-Black like it should :thinking: If anyone has any ideas, let me know.

Does it automagically grab the new changes from my repo?
I didn’t install the snap yet, but I’m curious if you only picked one, which one did you choose @didrocks ?

That looks (almost) like the Communitheme_2 Unity8 spinner / #3?

1 Like

No, this is why I asked here to move the repo under the ubuntu/ namespace :slight_smile:
It has the same rights than other repos (same for sound one), so you shold have access to it.
If yo uwant to see which repos are involved: https://github.com/ubuntu/communitheme-snap-helpers/blob/master/snap/snapcraft.yaml#L19

1 Like

Thank you for that - and thanks for your patience. I’ll upload the changes there soon :+1:

I did mean which cursor theme you picked :laughing: You mentioned defaulting to Communitheme_12 is that still the case?

This is part of my link: https://github.com/ubuntu/communitheme-snap-helpers/blob/master/snap/snapcraft.yaml#L48 (prefer to point it out so that you can check yourself in the future, if you prefer) :wink:
It’s basically copying this folder to share/icons/communitheme/ in the snap.

Can anyone confirm this bug where the old Ubuntu bell sound is play along with the new?

Yes, the new one should be in the snap now (#13).

I agree, but I’m having a little trouble with the black version :disappointed: If someone would like to look into this, any help would be appreciated.

1 Like

@madsrh

Sam Hewitt started working on a cursor theme as part of the Suru icon theme.

Is this something we could use?

1 Like

Yeah I’ve seen this, too! Nice work from @snwh

In the end we can just provide two cursor themes without a problem. They are both very different yet look great.

https://twitter.com/snwh/status/999128676024422405

A little communication would have been nice but yes! I’m not really proud of my cursor work, so if there’s a better suggestion, we should go with that :+1:

I would prefer our spinner though. It fits much better into our design.
Fast options that come into my mind:

• just go on like we did, this way there will be two cursor themes in our snap because we just have a plain fork of sams suru repo and if we don’t remove sams cursor it will be there
  • remove sams cursor theme
  • combine them, for example our spinner and sams cursor
2 Likes

+1 for this option :+1:

4 Likes

Which one’s Sam’s spinner? Sticking with what Sam does seems best at first though if he could comment here on his justifications for his design that would be good! Perhaps deviation on the spinner makes sense but idk what Sam’s looks like.

Edit: Nvm it’s in the Tweet. A black circle of friends spinner is interesting… I guess blue does make sense though, perhaps that one could just be made blue? Either make the black background a blue one or (what would make more sense) make the three lines blue and make the background transparent?

Screenshot from 2018-05-26 15-52-23

Screenshot from 2018-05-26 15-52-02

Y’all there’s better images available than my instagram

5 Likes

I wasn’t aware that other cursors were being worked on. It’s my practice to include a cursor set in icon themes I work on as part of providing a cohesive design, and I was always gonna include a set in Suru regardless.

I have some concerns about some of the more stylistic proposals for other cursor sets and ideas discussed here.

• Size does matter! The standard cursor size is 24x24px and there seems to be cursors being made to larger sizes, this will very much render them blurry while in use–something very important for a cursor theme.
  • there was mention of having “shadowless” cursors, I think that would not the best choice as a shadow provides additional contrast between the bg and the cursor while in use. Visibility is the most important
  • also for metaphorical consistency, I wouldn’t deviate too far from the spinner idea in a busy cursor. Bouncing ball is novel but it’s “too busy” for a busy cursor.

Other than that there’s some pretty neat ideas here :slight_smile:

P.S. you’ll never reach consensus with 10+ proposals. :wink:

3 Likes

Hi @snwh - great to see you getting in touch with us!

Would it be possible to include the blue spinner from Nr1 (https://ubuntucommunity.s3-us-east-2.amazonaws.com/original/2X/8/8b774e8bae096ad5569b3b4ef4010cc80a9275e1.jpg) into your theme? This way we would have our fav spinner combined with your good looking, sharp and scaling cursor(s).

Keep up the good work we cheer with every icon you push!

2 Likes

I already had one in there like that one as part of the pointer+spinner set: https://raw.githubusercontent.com/snwh/suru-icon-theme/master/src/cursors/bitmaps/48x48/left_ptr_watch_0001.png

But the latter one doesn’t have a transparent background and is not consistent ‘congruent’ with the primary black one? Maybe it makes sense to have a white background, could you explain that? Not sure how it makes sense to have different spinners for cursor and non-cursor though…

There’s no need to “fork” the suru cursor set, any other cursor sets can simply inherit the Suru cursors when specified in its cursor.theme

1 Like

the pointer-spinner icon is more limiting due to the size and the larger grey design doesn’t fit as nicely in the smaller circle due to it having more elements and the white + blue is more visible at that size. I could do grey and white at that size, but that’s boring, so I’m injecting some colour. Functional congruity > style congruity.

1 Like

That sounds great - we’ll try that first :slight_smile:

1 Like

Reading the news here, I want to tell you @madsrh I think you should be proud with your cursor-theme. What was missing is Black version. I use your cursors and enjoying them. they are colorful and creative, so I’m not ready to give them up.

5 Likes