Cursor theme discussion

Right, however I never intended to spend this much time on the project (and I know nothing about PPA’s).
I haven’t yet found a solution/design that I feel is good enough to be included in the community theme, so I guess there’s more attempts are coming.

@jasonflindt Once the design is final, I’ll add a dark version of that.

@c-lobrano Don’t you think it’s difficult to locate? It doesn’t work at all on orange backgrounds.

Since I’ve started looking into this I’ve been noticing spinners everywhere (Websites, Netflix, McD, gas stations,…). My take away has been that it HAS to be a circle or something spinning. Of course you don’t want (like the first attempt) something too similar to the competition, but you also don’t want something too out of the ordinary. In other words, you don’t want the user to go: “that was unexpected” - you want a traditionel spinner with a branding element IMHO.

2 Likes

Yes . But the spinner can become part of the branding too eg OSX beach ball.
Imho it’s should be something simple in a style and easy to recognise. As much as I like #7 I think a slightly smaller #3 would be perfect . Edit I was thinking #2 orange .

1 Like

My vote goes now to 5, 7 and 9 :wink:…BUT I have an issue I’m not sure if it is intended or not. All spinners have very short interval, disappearing too fast to be noticed.

I noticed that too but assumed it was because of my SSD.

1 Like

Can put up another suggestion ? Full circle IMG_20180224_122637_214bit with out the orange disk . My vote would still be for #2in orange. :wink:

1 Like

yeah, that might be a problem. I think we can try with 1, 2 o 3 (but 2 and 3 needs to be smaller to me, a similar size as the current spinner)

1 Like

Definitely a tad smaller . But remember the pointer also disappeares with them

Do we have a decision on the cursor busy icon ?

Sorry, I was out for some holidays and have quite some backlog to do. I’ll test them out as soon as I can (probably next week) and will keep you posted :wink: The preview pictures look promising.

Same as you do! I should do a sample app :wink:

Gtk3-widget-factory has a “Get busy” button in the headerbar :wink:

3 Likes

Yes, I came across that too :+1:

busy

They are all still too large, as mentioned a few times here, so perhaps wait and I’ll adjust the ones we consider (like 1,2,3,???)

I can’t believe no one likes #8 :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Oh come on number 7 is liked :wink:

1 Like

Any news on the preferred busy icon ?

I’m currently working on the communitheme snap.

Everything is mostly working out here. I’m pushing the support in the distribution (as we need some workarounds), but we should be good!

@madsrh: As I want to include the cursor theme itself, do you mind if we move your project to the ubuntu namespace (and maybe rename the repo ;))? I’ll then point to it.

I need to select on theme by default. I’m defaulting to Communitheme_12 for now, but we can easily switch.
Note as well that some subdirectories don’t have cursor.theme and index.theme. Mind fixing this?

3 Likes

Yes! I really like the Full Circle one, it’s like the Unity 8 spinner but orange and filled in…though I think the Communitheme in general needs to grapple with the Unity 8 vs 17.10 Ambiance dilemma which @jaggers so eloquently put (I admit I only skim-read that, but it does seem to be something that the Communitheme needs to grapple with more). If the Communitheme is going for few changes on Adwaita but Unity 8 colors…then does it make sense to use blue for the loading circle? Is there anywhere else that the Communitheme should be using blue (as per the Unity 8 design spec)? If the Communitheme is actually going more for continuity with Ambiance, but flatter (and ultimately rebuilt from Adwaita), then the loading circle should probably be orange (and the blue highlights elsewhere should also be scrapped), but the Unity 8 dots one could be good (except orange rather than blue)… Maybe the Canonical spinner could be good but you’ve made that seem rather large so it has lots of transparent space?

And it’s now forked as https://github.com/ubuntu/cursor-communitheme with the same permissions as other projects!

5 Likes

Could the cursor theme be based on a black theme as it’s more standard and less Windows-like? A black cursor is much more visible and looks a lot better than the white one.

Actually windows10 has a black cursor now ;O
And I am not that sure, if a black cursor is more visible than a white cursor

But if even Windows 10 has it, which is rather behind in design discussions, why shouldn’t we?
Most of the desktop backgrounds and applications have bright backgrounds, so a black cursor is naturally more visible :man_shrugging:

Another little suggestion taken from Canonical’s Vanilla Framework:

2 Likes