Cosmic Cuttlefish (18.10) Beta Testing

Hi testers,

This week is an ISO testing week!

Cosmic Cuttlefish (18.10) Beta is going to be released this Thursday (September 27th) and, as usual, we need to test the ISOs to make sure that installation and minimal functionality is working correctly.

Never tested an image before? Checkout the information on the wiki. You can sharpen your skills right now by testing the daily image. If you encounter any issues please don’t hesitate to ask. Don’t forget, you can talk in realtime on IRC on freenode @ #ubuntu-quality.

Please, synchronize your ISOs, so you are prepared (or at least have less to synchronize) when the Release Team starts posting images to the ISO Tracker.

I’ll follow up with further posts once the images are ready.

Happy testing!

2 Likes

Interesting, how many of us here actually tested (and still using) Cosmic Cuttlefish (default edition with gnome shell) since it was released as development few months ago? I don’t see any testers in the “other” official testing forum.

Betas and the release are made according to time, not according to how much testing has been done on them ( if you prefer the latter approach…Debian uses that :stuck_out_tongue: )

Those days of 14.10, 15. 10, 16.10 etc, lot of us actually moved our installation to the development release as soon as the development daily was available. We were talking about the problems, issues etc, and helping each other. That was fun then. The 17.10 moving from Unity to Gnome shell changed a lot. Since Cosmic had come, not many had installed the daily, and there isn’t any (significant) talk on that. There is some talk on Xubuntu, but that’s not it.

Personally, I’ve moved to Cosmic practically asap, but not with the default Ubuntu DE, but with Unity. And, with Openbox. So, I am not testing how Cosmic would fare, but how Unity would fare with all these periodic development.

The first set of Beta images has been published to the tracker.

You can all sync, test and report results. If you find a bug, don’t hesitate to report it to Launchpad and link it to the tracker.

Thanks!

1 Like

There is a new set of images (build 20180927.1) with the latest mesa stack to try to fix a boot issue in VirtualBox.
This issue has been reported in bug 1792932

It’d be great to smoketest this build on various hardware to make sure nothing regressed.

Thanks!

The Virtual Machines situation with Ubuntu Desktop build 20180927.1

• VirtualBox: The ISO doesn’t boot by default (bug 1792932) To boot this ISO you have to press a key on boot to show the boot menu, then press F6 and select nomodeset, then press enter to boot. Finally proceed as usual and the VM should work as expected after installation

• On QEMU/Libvirt : The ISO boots fine and installation works as expected but it sometimes fails to boot on first boot. The reason is not clearly understood yet but there is a crash a plymouth The issue is tracked in bug 1794280

• VMWare: First boot after installation is slow but there is no particular problem.

This has been tested on a Cosmic host with the following versions:

• VirtualBox 5.2.18-dfsg-2
  • Qemu 2.12+dfsg-3ubuntu6
  • VMware Workstation 14.1.1 build-7528167

If you have any other experience with VMs and latest Ubuntu Cosmic builds or any insight on the issues mentioned above, let us know.

1 Like

Anyone testing Ubuntu 18.10?

Ubuntu 18.10 (Cosmic Cuttlefish) Beta and its flavors (Kubuntu, Lubuntu, Budgie, Kylin, Mate, Studio and Xubuntu) together with Server and Cloud images have been released.

Therefore testing is over for this Beta. Several issues found in this milestone will be addressed for the release planned on October 18th.

25 people reported nearly 200 results to the ISO tracker.

Thanks to everyone who helped testing this release and see you in 2 weeks for the Release Candidates. In the meantime you can continue testing daily images posted every day.

Thanks again!

1 Like

Yes me. How can I help?

One? OK.
Anyone else?

Me . rock solid thus far

Me. Having one issue.

Upgraded an Optimus laptop (I read somewhere that prime-select should work much better in cosmic compared to bionic).

Now I can’t access any xorg session (neither “Gnome on Xorg” nor “Unity”). When logging in it flashes the screen and goes back to GDM.

Xorg logs are not updated since before the upgrade, and I’m not sure where to look.

Problem is that in this laptop the HDMI output is connected to the nvidia GPU for some reason (yeah, this is an old Ivy Bridge back when Intel GPUs only had 2 outputs, but there’s a VGA connector which is connected to the integrated GPU).

So right now I’m stuck on Wayland (there’s some responsiveness issues, sometimes the mouse cursor locks up under load and that didn’t happen under Xorg).

And libinput has no analog to xinput --disable N (which is important to me because I own a misbehaving but otherwise great USB headset which insists on sending “Volume Up” events 10 times a second).

Otherwise enjoying generally updated versions of stuff.

@nachokb,

Thanks for reporting this issue with your Optimus laptop. Could you please report a bug on launchpad with the following command and paste the bug number here:

ubuntu-bug xorg

There are also some general guidelines to troubleshoot Xorg issue on the wiki. Can you check if you find any advice that would help.

1 Like

thanks a lot, will take a look at that article, and GDM logs (don’t really know where those are, though)

ran ubuntu-bug xorg, had it collect all the necessary info, but it never opened a browser window; there are no errors in the console; so I apologize if I uploaded it twice

will retry after a restart

Most of the logs are in the journal including GDM logs. journalctl is the command to query the journal. For example, journal -b [ID] will show the messages for a specific boot and by default current boot.

1 Like

ubuntu-bug just silently crashes instead of uploading.

Here’s the relevant Xorg.log though [1]. Basically it’s complaining about not finding the nvidia gpu. This xorg.conf comes from its original 17.10 installation.

Marked nvidia as “inactive” and enabled the intel screen. It’s working now :fireworks:.

Thanks a lot.

So, it looks rather specific to Optimus machines upgrading from 17.10 (18.04 was a mess in this regard).

[1] https://gist.github.com/nachokb/9370e0fb983e37a24f94e8b6ea92d9a8

Some tips :slight_smile:

• ubuntu-bug xorg-server is more correct. If you report bugs to xorg then that’s almost always wrong, which is a very common mistake. I do a sweep every day to clean up and reassign those. Surprisingly though most bugs that start in xorg have nothing to do with xorg-server either. It’s just the default bucket.

• If ubuntu-bug fails then try apport-cli.

• If you need a replacement for xinput --disable N that works on Wayland/libinput then please ask here.

• One HDMI port wired to the discrete GPU is pretty common actually. I think manufacturers are trying to give you a high-performance option that skips the integrated GPU in gaming.

• The mouse cursor freezing under load is somewhat (mostly?) fixed in this coming patch.

1 Like

Your Xorg.log says:

[ 17023.972] (WW) VGA arbiter: cannot open kernel arbiter, no multi-card support
[ 17023.972] (EE) Screen 0 deleted because of no matching config section.
[ 17023.972] (II) UnloadModule: "modesetting"

which makes me think the problem might be your choice of kernel: 4.18.0-8-lowlatency

Can you try the default (not lowlatency) kernel to see if that was the problem?

1 Like

Closing - if people want to test - do it with a current daily. Updates since the old beta make observations here moot.

If people really want to make a difference they could perhaps try running one of the https://discourse.ubuntu.com/c/flavors - none of those have paid employees, nor indeed dedicated hardware - try a new community.

1 Like