Community Council meeting: 20171005

Hello!

This is the first meeting of October of the new community council recently elected.

Translations

english/ We have translations ready for: Spanish. More translators wanted!
español/ Tenemos traducciones listas para: español. ¡Necesitamos más ayuda con las traducciones!

Attendees

Council:

Absent:

Guests:

Summary

english/

• Round of introductions:
    Martin Wimpress: I work for Canonical as a Developer Advocate. I’m also the lead for Ubuntu MATE, which is a personal project.
    Walter Lapchynski: I work for a small bicycle manufacturer in the US, which I help manage an array of Kubuntu desktops and FreeBSD/Ubuntu servers. I contribute mostly to Kubuntu and Lubuntu.
    Leo Arias: from Costa Rica. I work on the snapcraft team at canonical. I have contributed with LoCo events, translations, bug triaging and a few other things.
    Anis: I work as a SysAdmin, I lead the Tunisian LoCo Team and try to contribute to any Tunisian FOSS projects whenever I have spare time.
    Aaron Honeycutt: from Denver CO, I work support at system76.

• [proposal] The community council is an all-male panel. Work to improve that for the next election in two years.
    There is a large issue of Ubuntu Member drop off which which we should try and turn around.
    We need to make it less male-centric by making it more welcoming to other genders.
    [action] We need to investigate first what are the non-inclusiveness issues within the community that we can address.
    [action] We need to find ways to get people around to world to contribute more, then apply for a membership, and encourage them to keep contributing and apply for boards.

• [proposal] Host the community council meetings on YouTube on Air.
    IRC and mailing lists are not a great way to attract new users and contributors.
    Text is translatable, easily logged, easily read very quickly. videos less so.
    [no-agrement] We need to keep discussing and trying more ideas.

• [proposal] Move the Community Council organization, discussions, reports and docs to the Community Hub.
    This will kill the wiki more and more.
    LoCos are forced to use Wiki.
    Perhaps the Community Hub is a better place for LoCos too.
    [action] Make a new home for the CC on the Community Hub.

• [proposal] Work together with the LoCo council to redefine communication channels and tasks
    [action] First, encourage members to propose for the election of the LoCo council.

español/

• Ronda de presentaciones:
    Martin Wimpress: Trabajo para Canonical como promotor de desarrolladores. También soy líder de Ubuntu MATE, que es un proyecto personal.
    Walter Lapchynski: Trabajo para una pequeña productora de bicicletas en Estados Unidos, en donde ayudo a administrar un grupo de computadoras de escritorio con Kubuntu y servidores FreeBSD/Ubuntu. Contribuyo principalmente con Kubuntu y Lubuntu.
    Leo Arias: de Costa Rica. Trabajo en el equipo de snapcraft en canonical. He contribuido con eventos LoCo, traducciones, diagnóstico de errores y algunas otras cosas.
    Anis: Trabajo como administrador de sistemas, soy líder del equipo LoCo tunecino y trato de contribuir con cualquier proyecto de software libre y abierto en Túnez cuando tengo el tiempo libre.
    Aaron Honeycutt: de Denver CO, trabajo dando soporte en system76.

• [propuesta] El concejo de la comunidad es un panel formado sólo por hombres. Trabajar para mejorar esto para la elección siguiente dentro de dos años.
    Hay un problema grande en la caída de membresías de Ubuntu, que deberíamos tratar de revertir.
    Necesitamos hacerlo menos centrado en hombres, haciéndolo más acogedor para otros géneros.
    [acción] Necesitamos investigar primero cuáles son los problemas de exclusión dentro de la comunidad que podamos solucionar.
    [acción] Necesitamos encontrar formas para hacer que personas alrededor del mundo contribuyan más, luego apliquen por una membresía, y motivarlos para que sigan contribuyendo y apliquen a los concejos.

• [propuesta] Realizar las reuniones del concejo de la comunidad en YouTube on Air.
    IRC y las listas de correos no son una genial forma de atraer nuevas personas usuarias y contribuyentes.
    El texto es traducible, fácil de registrar en una bitácora, fácil de leer muy rápido. Los vídeos no tanto.
    [sin-acuerdo] Necesitamos seguir discutiendo y probando más ideas.

• [proposal] Mover la organización, discusión, reportes y documentos del Concejo de la Comunidad al Hub de la Comunidad.
    Esto cada vez matará más al wiki.
    Los LoCos están obligados a usar el wiki.
    Tal vez, el Hub de la Comunidad es un mejor lugar para los LoCos también.
    [acción] Hacer un nuevo hogar para el CC en el Hub de la Comunidad.

• [propuesta] Trabajar junto al Concejo de LoCo para redefinir los canales de comunicación y tareas.
    [acción] Primero, motivar a personas miembros para que se propongan a la elección del concejo de LoCo.

Full meeting log:

english/

http://ubottu.com/meetingology/logs/ubuntu-meeting/2017/ubuntu-meeting.2017-10-05-17.01.log.html

español/

http://pad.ubuntu.com/ep/pad/view/cc-meeting-20171005-es-txt/O8YYoTMtWW

5 Likes

This times 1000. Google’s voice recognition thing might be able to get you an easy enough transcript? Alternatively just look for a text-based platform that is not IRC. Maybe Rocket Chat?

Wiki is pretty dead imho too so I think this is a good idea. Discourse is much easier to interact with and get news and info from.

1 Like

There is no single simple solution. Wiki, IRC, Mailing Lists, Discourse, and other methods all have various strengths and weaknesses. Each has drifted in and out of fashion over the years…and will again.

Historically, IRC has been preferred for Ubuntu meetings over various voice methods for three reasons: 1) It has a meeting-bot which handles agendas and archives, making administration super-easy, 2) Written English is often much easier than spoken for the many non-native speakers involved, and 3) IRC is a free (in both senses) method - no vendor lock-in or data hostaging.

That doesn’t mean IRC will always be the best choice for all meetings…just that it’s currently still a valid choice.

It’s important to distinguish between:

• Initial recruiting which should indeed use whatever communication fads reach the largest audience.
  • Ongoing coordination of a team which can use any common method that the team agrees upon.
  • Team/Loco/community governance which must use an open, transparent, and archival method.

When talking about wiki, it’s important to distinguish between the wiki itself and the various teams that use and edit the wiki documentation. Teams have cycles, too. When teams are down, their wiki pages languish. When teams are up, their wiki pages sparkle. I have seen Discourse-using organizations run in the same cycles.

4 Likes