[Call for topics] Community Council meeting: 20180315

Update: here is the summary of the meeting https://community.ubuntu.com/t/community-council-meeting-20180315/4852

The second meeting of March of the Ubuntu Community Council is going to take place on Thursday March 15th, 2018 at 1700 UTC in #ubuntu-meeting on Freenode.

Proposed agenda:

• Progress from last meeting:
  • What to do about https://community.ubuntu.com/t/bold-bug-triaging-issues-with-contacting-a-lp-user/4334 ?
  • Review, triage, and fix Code of Conduct bugs - @wxl
  • Clearly define governance seats, terms, and quorum - @wxl
  • Bootstrap new, official, Ubuntu flavours - @Wimpress
    • I’ve suggested this before, but would like the CC to reach out to some desktop/applications communities not currently in Ubuntu and invite them to create an Ubuntu flavour.
    • How many should we approach? Who should we approach? I propose this is an activity we run for each development cycle.
    • What material do we need to on-board new flavours? For example, what is the process.
    • Creating a flavour attracts developers, who become ideal candidates for Ubuntu Membership. More developers means more testing, more eyes on a code and higher quality releases.
  • Ubuntu guerrilla marketing campaign - @Wimpress
    • Again, something I mentioned before.
    • How do we kick start this initiative?
    • Leverage the LoCo’s to use these assets to promote Ubuntu in interesting and fun ways.
    • Leverage the community to create some art assets that can be easily translated.
    • Has parallels with https://community.ubuntu.com/t/ubuntu-for-everyone-video/4605

We welcome suggestions for topics from the community. Just leave a reply here with your suggestions and we’ll add them to the agenda.

If you’re mentioned in the agenda, please make sure to attend the meeting. If you can’t make it, please let us know leaving a reply here.

Community council members, @marcoceppi @jose @wxl @Wimpress @elacheche @aaronhoneycutt @elopio, you are all expected to attend. Please let us know ahead of time if you are not going to be able to make it.

The minutes are here.

Yes! I really hope Ubuntu Unity will be official for 18.04 but if not then for 18.10 (and maybe a subsequent 18.04 official release like Ubuntu MATE did)…

Other DEs that could get flavours:

• Rather popular DEs that could get us a lot more Ubuntu users if there were flavours for them
    – Pantheon (already done by an Ubuntu derivative…but maybe worth reaching out?)
    – Same for Cinnamon (Debian has a Cinnamon flavour!)
    – Deepin
  • Comprehensive WMs like Awesome (as Elopio was saying)

Also maybe an install image for the vanilla GNOME session would be good? Could be called Ubuntu Vanilla GNOME or something… or GNOME Live, idk.

I’m not so sure about application suites independent of a DE… an Ubuntu Steam flavour? :wink:

Yes, Ubuntu is certainly lacking in the marketing department, we need more social media reach and I think marketing material will help with this! :smiley: Creating some sort of hub post on the topic sounds like a good idea, CC/the poster just need to think about what they want out of the discussion…

The TB denied (well, that’s a strong word, but they suggested it be put off) until they proved actual upstream work was being done by the flavor maintainers.

That’s unfortunate :frowning: I hope the CC is helping the Ubuntu Unity team to get to the stage where they’ll be approved? :slight_smile:

To be fair though, (not to say that it shouldn’t happen or that it’s bad,) but it was indeed a bit premature.

I hope so; active developers who can make significant and sustained contributions (:wink:) to the Unity stack are needed (even if the Desktop Team members who are currently doing maintenance on it join the team).

It has a lot of potential, so it would be awesome for it to succeed.

I can’t provide

unfortunately, not being a developer and not having the time to learn to code in the relevant languages and learn the stack :frowning: Yes I hope other people step in, it does indeed have a lot of potential and many users are very upset about the prospect of having to go back to GNOME Shell, so much so they’re considering leaving the Ubuntu family altogether (not even switching to a flavor), so it would be really awesome if we did have Ubuntu Unity by 18.04, but if not then oh well (at least Unity is still in universe).