Call for testing: communitheme + Qt

I haven’t tested Qt4, no. Kvantum does support Qt4, but I have not used Qt4 in years. I suggest we just ignore it for now? I guess a Kvantum-qt4 package could be created, if required.

Really? Odd, I kinda assumed the package would still be there, for those who want that theme. I know the desktop session will be Communitheme.

No, Adwaita-Qt is a separate C++ Qt style plugin. It would be nice (and lead to less code, bugs, etc) if Kvantum had an Adwaita theme - but this is something Tsujan has no intention of implementing. Still, if Kvantum becomes more accepted, there is no reason a matching Adwaita cannot be created - if someone knows SVG, etc.

It will be in the archive, and upgraders will keep them, but it won’t be installed by default nor supported officially.

1 Like

Kvantum’s author is against a change to LGPL :frowning_face: So, I guess that means this is the end of the line for Kvantum in Ubuntu? Can a C++ plugin not be GPL licensed?

I added more context on the licensing issue. GPL isn’t an issue at all, Communitheme itself is GPL. Afaik, the issue is that Kvantum links to any running Qt application to style the application. This means that any Qt application is regarded as a derivative work of Kvantum, and it needs to be GPL compatible.

We can’t guarantee that users won’t run closed source Qt applications, so we can’t guarantee that Kvantum’s license won’t be violated.

Thanks Merlijn! That’s exactly right :slight_smile:

So yeah, if the author don’t want to change it, it means that it’s illegal to use any non GPL-compatible application with a Kvantum’s theme (as it’s using Kvantum’s engine). That’s the reason why LGPL exists and is pushed by the FSF for libraries.

Edit with some additional notes on licensing (Note: I’m not a lawer):
This case is little bit on the edge. Traditionnally, a theme engine (what Kvantum is) is more complex than just a theme itself even if compiled in a binary format and loaded in a module, as a library.
It can be thus considered as having more importance inside the process than just a theme providing assets and drawing functions.
This is why other theme engines like gtk2-engine-murrine, gtk2-engine-pixbuf and even gtk2-engine-oxygen from KDE are LGPL.
A single theme, drawing widgets, can be considered as a way to deliver assets and shape to a program, which has thus a less important of the code. I think this is why the adwaita-qt style is in Fedora and Debian/Ubuntu, as a GPL project (even if it ships as well a LGPL LICENSE file).

So, even if they install a similar file at the same path, both projects could be considered differently.

To add to that, all Qt style (theme engine) plugins are also licensed under LGPL. It seems that all common theme engines for both GTK and Qt use LGPL.

From a technical standpoint, there isn’t really a difference between an application calling a normal system library vs an application calling a theme engine and the FSF is clear that they consider this a violation. More explanation in the issue.

The maintainer of Kvantum stated multiple times that he has no intention to change the license, so we won’t be able to use it.

1 Like

Alright. Thanks for putting the heads together! This is really out of my scope at the moment :slight_smile:
So what is the consensus of this (if there is any yet, if not, sorry for the “pressure”)?
Will we use the “safe” or the modern solution?

2 Likes

As much as I hate it, I think the only real way forward is the Gtk2 based QGtkStyle. Such a shame that Kvantujm’s license will not be changed.

If this is to be used, can we add arrows to the Gtk2 scrollbars. I know the Gtk2 theme itself will not use these (as it’ll be configured for no ‘steppers’), but QGtkStyle assumes they are there, and leaves space for them. (This gives a blank area at either end of the scrollbar groove that accepts clicks).

I applied this ‘fix’ to a local copy of Arc, I’ll see if I can find the changes and make a pull request.

4 Likes

That sounds great! It would be very nice if you and @merlijn-sebrechts could get this rolling as @c-lobrano and me need to spend our time on gtk3 and the shell theme. I will finish the wiki tonight which will show every UI control and container element in detail so you can adapt to that easily in the gtk2 theme.

3 Likes

So, will qt5-style-plugins be pre-installed and will QT_QPA_PLATFORMTHEME=gtk2 be part of the default path in 18.10? :slight_smile:
@merlijn-sebrechts