Call for participation: an ubuntu default theme lead by the community?

Point is, it’s just not feasible. This is the orange use everywhere Ubuntu is; it’s on sites, it’s on forums, it’s at events, it’s in logos, it’s in themes, it’s on discs. Itd be either be inconsistent with the branding, which is feasible, but I imagine the official desktop team would be absoultey completely displeased with, or completely redo merchandise, promo and con materials, site stylesheets, etc. etc., just for a slight hue/saturation change.

4 Likes

I guess we learned already that this won’t happen. There won’t be any choice that everybody likes as well as there won’t be one that nobody likes.

As per focus/dropback difference, we didn’t make a bold distinction on purpose, we choose dropback colors so that “compared to a in-focus window, it is easy to see which one is in-focus”, since many people work with windows side by side and still need to see all the available colors

5 Likes

A quick concept I did that is focused on adding more air to the design.

Few notes:

• The typeface I used is Interface
  • Based the design around typography
  • Added more white space around the elements

3 Likes

Too much white space is harsh on eyes. Greys are better.

Thanks for the feedback. I strongly agree with this article https://uxplanet.org/the-power-of-whitespace-a1a95e45f82b

1 Like

thanks for the mockup, however we’re a bit too ahead now to consider a so big change in our direction :wink:

1 Like

Totally agree. I am currently working on a full theme and will fork the original theme and do a proper proposal. What you’ve accomplished already is 10x better than the current UI of Ubuntu :slight_smile:

4 Likes

You might find useful to look at this as well, if you haven’t already of course

1 Like

As the Yaru GDM3 login screen has a gradient from lighter purple to darker purple, we could also make the Plymouth a lighter purple to darker purple. For the GRUB, this may be a bit difficult… We might use an image of the gradient as the background of the GRUB. The transition should be smooth.

We should also make the Plymouth a flat design to fit with the Yaru theme.

Based on the code of /snap/communitheme/current/share/gnome-shell/theme/Communitheme/gnome-shell.css, which is the user select screen, I have found that:

#lockDialogGroup {
background: none;
background-color: none;
background-gradient-direction: vertical;
background-gradient-start: #6D2169;
background-gradient-end: #370026; }

The colours are #6D2169 and #370026.

Plymouth code could be modified:
Window.SetBackgroundTopColor (0.43, 0.13, 0.41); # Nice colour on top of the screen fading to
Window.SetBackgroundBottomColor (0.22, 0.00, 0.15); # an equally nice colour on the bottom

However, this will look really ugly on a smaller display due to the progress-dot-on16 and progress-dot-off16 elements (this will create a purple square)

3 Likes

Just a demo with a modification on the Yaru theme for Unity.

Possible end to Yaru? - there’s an increasingly influential strain of GNOME thought suggesting that custom themes should be scrapped and that we’ll all have to use Adwaita (at least by default)… (as I understand it, correct me if I’m wrong)

The post above is by GNOME Foundation member (and Suru designer) @snwh (who I welcome to comment here for further explanation) :slight_smile:

https://twitter.com/matthias_clasen/status/1026158779660943360
“matthias_clasen
Antwort an @DanielFore
We are not just going to “drop” themes. What we are talking about is ways for apps to declare that they require a certain style (or styles).”

Was bit emotional over this myself (mostly about that vogue guy). But I think this was more of a personal idea from snwh than the opinion of all gnome designers and I think there are still some years to go until those ideas could become reality.
But let’s please not have the same discussion again here. I think everyone in here loves a ubuntu specific theme and let’s hope that we will receive support for this desire still in the future.

3 Likes

Another version of a lighter Ubuntu. (I know I am late for the party but I can’t help myself) :smiley:

6 Likes

Considering my experience, you’re going to have hard times with all this orange :smile:

4 Likes

The Yaru team is happy to announce a new stable release!

This week update brings the following

• sync with upstream content :+1:
  • updates necessary to be default theme in next release :tada:
  • improved Nautilus secondary label color :smiley:
  • reduced icon size in GTK2 (except in the toolbar, to keep it aligned with GTK3)
  • completed the alignment of our slider set to a shared style
9 Likes

Why the theme for 18.10 will not be a snap?

2 Likes

@didrocks I was thinking the same, can’t there be a baked-in snap like the current GNOME app ones (like System Monitor)?

2 Likes

I have an addiction to these monochromic UIs but you are right. Too much orange isn’t good. But if you think about it 90% of app icons are blue mainly because it’s social network’s fav color :smiley:

1 Like

Yep, but there’s a reason why social netwoks like blue :wink:

https://graf1x.com/color-psychology-emotion-meaning-poster/

2 Likes

The Yaru team is happy to announce a new stable release!

Quite a full week of changes the last one, here’s the list:

• button-box (e.g. Gnome Software) took a dedicated style, instead of mimic stack switcher. This was necessary to avoid problems with complex button-box hierarchies.
  • cleaner default button indication
  • improved Ubitquity style for a cleaner experience installing the next Ubuntu 18.10
  • fixed switches color in GDM (this was from a new contributor :+1:)
  • better backdrop infobar
  • better backdrop borders in dark version
  • stop loading button in Nautilus (when loading big folders) is now neat and visible
  • fixes on GDM entries and button
  • fixed selection ring transition in combobox entry+button
13 Likes