Call for participation: an ubuntu default theme lead by the community?

First login screen does not match with the community theme.

1 Like

Just a bit of feedback: I personally preferred the login screen as it was before it was switched to a white dialogue on purple. It just looks a bit cheaper now? Sorry, all IMHO of course :slight_smile:

2 Likes

We are working on it, since most people don’t like it :slight_smile:

https://github.com/ubuntu/yaru/pull/661

1 Like

so bad, i liked the white dialogue a lot. very simple but it feels just right.
anyway the new style with purple gradient is very very beautiful! nice job!

EDIT: will this style be used also for the login screen?

3 Likes

Yes, lock and login screen.
I liked the white a lot, too. But we removed the previous one only because of a valid complain about the SVG rendering and some sort of “rough leveling” effect of the gradient. This newer gradient is much smoother and the majority (I didn’t count everyone, but that’s an impression from the comments) prefers the purple.

2 Likes

The Yaru team :tada: is happy to announce a new stable release!

This is the first Communitheme/Yaru stable release after announcing the new name

This week update brings the following

• update the Snap information, package description and some more packaging fixes
  • copyright fixes
  • a new Login/Lock screen, which brings back the all-purple background, with an improved gradient
  • alignment of gtk2 assets to the gtk3 ones
12 Likes

Blue dots don’t blend well with the purple background.

What’s the problem with the GRUB color change?

2 Likes

Yes you are right. Blue on full purple looks strange! I think we would need some work on the build system to include the Plymouth theme, which would be indeed great.

1 Like

Why I am not able to get the new login screen(purple one).

have you installed the snap? Could you post the output of the command snap info communitheme?

name: communitheme
summary: The next Ubuntu theme built by the community.
publisher: didrocks
license: unknown
description: |
Yaru, formerly known as Communitheme, is the new Ubuntu theme built by the
community. Yaru will become the default Ubuntu theme in Ubuntu 18.10. This
package allows you to try out the theme on Ubuntu 18.04 LTS.

To try out the theme, install this package on Ubuntu 18.04 LTS, restart
your computer and select the “Ubuntu with communitheme snap” session from
the login screen.

More information is available at
https://community.ubuntu.com/t/faq-ubuntu-new-theme/1930.
snap-id: Yd6CISPIf6tEf3ZEJ0cqSoEg9rG2VkRi
tracking: stable
refresh-date: yesterday at 21:09 IST
channels:
stable: 0.1 (679) 10MB -
candidate: ↑
beta: ↑
edge: 0.1 (679) 10MB -
installed: 0.1 (679) 10MB -

The new login screen is only applied when you symlink it. Otherwise it is the regular one in 18.04 because yaru is not the default. In 18.10 it will be installed by default and no symlinking is needed. At the moment only the LOCK screen uses the yaru gdm screen.

This is NOT supported by our team and do this on your OWN risk and this only “works” with 18.04 and the snap installation:

sudo update-alternatives --install /usr/share/gnome-shell/theme/gdm3.css gdm3.css /snap/communitheme/current/share/gnome-shell/theme/Communitheme/gnome-shell.css 15
3 Likes

It looks sooooooo gooooooooooood :sunglasses:

It also has proper multi-monitor support, unlike the default 18.04 login screen :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Bildschirmfoto von 2018-07-31 18-14-40

I don’t want to open a can of worms, but…

Have a look at the screen: There are 3 kinds of orange. The in-focus one, the out-of-focus one and the more desaturated folder-icon one.

In my eyes the in-focus one is too reddish and should go for good.

Make the out-of-focus one the new default. Even for the close window (X). And please create a less intense out of focus one. The folder color could give you a good hint.

In my eyes the current out of focus orange is still too intense that it doesn’t look out of focus at all.

Just give it a try for the --edge snap. Just temporarily…

1 Like

Hi - we discussed the backdrop (“out of focus”) color for selected elements a lot.

We also tried a gray, like ambiance does it (orange active, gray backdrop), but we’ve gone with the two oranges. I can’t find the very big discussion on github, but it’s there.

Ah here it is: https://github.com/ubuntu/yaru/issues/212
Ofc there was also the legendary issue by @nusi : https://github.com/ubuntu/yaru/issues/289

A little history:

• after the first design iterations, the difference between active and backdrop was very harsh
  • for this reason we decided to reduce the difference to a minimum
  • then we increased the difference again, making the backdrop less colorful in combination with the dark theme introduction

I hope this helps a bit to understand our decisions. I don’t think there is much of a chance to reduce the selected background color orange since this is the new ubuntu orange and heavy branding (as you can see, it is also here on this website).

Anyways - maybe we can return to discuss the backdrop colors one day, but we are very happy with the current solution and had lots of discussion about it. Never say never, though! (My second fav was a gray for backdrop selection ;))

2 Likes

But one try? Tone done the reddish tone a bit? And if everybody hated it: a revert is quickly done? It’s not all about the backdrop color. In my eyes the in-focus orange is too reddish?

Maybe just a matter of taste. Officially the closing (x) is just orange. In my perception it is rater red?

1 Like

This would require a complete rebranding of the Ubuntu color palette at large, as it is an official brand color.

5 Likes

Here are some gifs of the gray in backdrop: https://github.com/ubuntu/yaru/issues/212#issuecomment-393887091

1 Like

Also - gonna take a moment to say that I’m currently working on a small portable tool that’ll let you easily use your own customized yaru with custom accent colors, close button style, highlight as blue vs primary accent color, etc.

Obviously unofficial, but either way, stay tuned :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Hmm. Maybe rather a very slight rebranding instead a “complete” one. The point is: with the darker headerbar color the official orange (e.g. the closing (x)) looks darker and more reddish, even if the color ist the same?

It could be just me though :wink:

Not nagging, just saying…

1 Like