Call for participation: an ubuntu default theme lead by the community?

@wfpalsa, I don’t like it - I love it :ok_hand::grinning:

Dark theme: In the breadcrumbs, the text for the selected folder “home” is really hard to read (orange on black). Perhaps change the color to white and add an orange line underneath it some other indicator?

The way sidebar flows into folder area is crude in the mockup we have. Better use of shades might improve it, if we are going that way.

Icons first and a description below it. How do you like it for Nautilus sidebar

Screenshot-2017-11-25 Twitter

United GNOME has it all.

This, alongside the Suru Icon Theme, is a winner.

The most important thing that needs to be done, is drop the gradient in the top panel, so that Ubuntu Session can play nice with the United GNOME top bar (which you can set to transparent, dark, or light).

Really, everyone, United GNOME is the way forward.

This is United GNOME Compact, with the currect Ubuntu top bar. I’m not using United GNOME Shell theme until the gradient ‘issue’ is solved:

2 Likes

This is the ‘issue’ with United GNOME Shell Theme with its light variant:

And this is the 'issue when United GNOME Shell Theme is Dark or Darker:

In Vanilla GNOME, these flaws don’t exist.
So, for me, getting rid of the gradient in the top bar is essential.

1 Like

I really like this too, except the text in the breadcrumbs (selected folder again), the text should be white with a orange line below - a colored line AND text is too much (in my opinion).

2 Likes

When alking about headerbar breadcrumbs being readable this is my ultimate theme for it:

1 Like

Damn this looks awesome.

2 Likes

Gradient and distinct separators in breadcrumb are old way of doing things. Ubuntu is doing a revamp since a long time. This theme in progress might last another 5 years before getting replaced.

I see what you mean. Yes, why not. I can see it make the theme look even nicer.

Very important for me is that there would be a default replacement for both Ambiance and Radiance … with light and dark variants for dark apps (like Videos), and light and dark variants for the Shell Theme. United GNOME does all that.

1 Like

I think I fixed the gradient problem already, unless I forgot to do something somewhere. The updated version is on GNOME-Look.

That’s not possible with the way Nautilus is right now, and we’re not allowed to alter code. That layout also takes up a lot more vertical space than the old way, something that can be limited on most monitors. It’s fine for a CMS with only a couple distinct options identifiable by their icons, but for the sidebar which can get a little crowded, it might be less than ideal.

2 Likes

This one is my favorit so far.

My problem with dark titlebars is that the top bar of the DE will be transparent and thus the titlebar will look out of place

2 Likes

Hey! Thanks! It looks a lot better already.
The fonts in the light shell still looks a little blurry, but overall it’s a LOT better!

Still my favorite theme!

@madsrh, a new mockup with your feedback on the breadcrumbs:

Minor tweaks to @wfpaisa 's design, which is otherwise unchanged:

• Titlebar is dark by default, taking cues from Ambiance and the planned Unity 8 theme;
  • The tops of the tabs are made slightly lower, to allow for a little separation between the tabs and the dark section;
  • The tab titles have been re-centred accordingly;
  • The active breadcrumb has an orange line to highlight, as suggested by you;
  • The “x” button has a (flatter) orange circle, taking a cue from Ambiance.
2 Likes

@jaggers if I may, in my opinion the orange line is unneeded . The bold font define the tab. When we use dark the ruls should be a bit different. I would leave all the same with @wfpaisa work, just change the color to dark. Again, my opinion only.

1 Like

I think you’re right @mozit - I was trying to shoehorn in another orange accent, but it looks better without it here.

Okay - my last screenshot. As an Ubuntu end user, I would like to formally place a vote :slight_smile: for the following to be the default look in Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver:

Notes:

• Shell and launcher as per 17.10 - except, when the window is maximised, I’d prefer the Gnome heading to turn opaque without a noticeable gradient, to suit @wfpaisa’s flat modern theme;

• Orange/purple wallpaper with “folds”, as per current Ubuntu style;

• GTK theme using @wfpaisa’s design, except with a dark title bar for windows and an orange “x” button - taking cues from Ambience and Unity 8;

• @snwh’s rebooted Suru icons - ideally enriched with a small number of Suru-framed icons for the most commonly used default 3rd party apps, as per my previous mockup:

launcher with suru-shaped 3rd party icons

Thanks for taking the time to look at my posts. There’s a lot of good-looking stuff in this thread, and I have every confidence that whatever the design team produces will look great :slight_smile:

3 Likes

@jaggers Awesome work! There’s tiny details I would do different, but there are as many different preferences as there are people, so if this is the theme landing in 18.04, I will be absolutely thrilled :smiley: :clap:

Remember to post it in the mockup thread.

2 Likes

Theme looks nice, but please dont use too dark titlebars with no light/border/gradient at the top. If you have two titlebars slightly overlapping, with dark themes (such as Adapta) its very hard to distinguish where one titlebar ends and the other starts. The Pop variant of Adapta works better because it has a slight ‘shine’ near the top of the titlebar. With lighter themes its less of an issue - as the shadow helps to distinguish between two windows.

So, if it has to be dark (and Ambiannce’s dark title and header bars are nice), then please either add a slight ‘shine’, gradient, or some other means to distinguish between titlebars of applications. This is also an issue with two unfocussed windows - so you can’t just use different shades for focussed and unfocussed.

1 Like

@madsrh Thank you! I don’t believe I have permission to post in that thread - it says “Updates Designer only” and I don’t get the Reply button. Some good-looking screenshots in that thread.

@CraigD, you may well be right - this is just a mockup of one isolated window in GIMP. It may be that it benefits from a light shine, once multiple windows are being opened/moved around :slight_smile:

1 Like