Call for participation: an ubuntu default theme lead by the community?

Good start! :wink:
Just a note, unless you find a bug or something, the dark GTK2 shall look exactly like dark GTK3

1 Like

Yes, as much as possible with gtk2 limitations.
A question before I continue : can we use gtk-engine-murrine?

Ensure that both GTK2 light or dark theme are using the same engine. So, if you are going to “rewrite” the GTK2 theme, maybe starts with the light one?

Are you proposing to switch from gtk2-engines-pixbuf/gnome-themes-extra combo to gtk2-engines-murrine? If so, that’s fine as ambiance/radiance were using that theme engine. But again, please start with the default one if you go that road (and share as much code as possible between the 2, no copy/paste) :slight_smile:

Very awesome mozit! Can I send you a beer/drink? :smile:

Anyways what Carlo said! Open up the gtk3 widget factory and toggle between light and dark version. The wiki is not finished yet but maybe it can help you

2 Likes

Thank you, @didrocks !
Of course light and dark should be identical concerning the use of engines.

The current light theme look pretty good now so the changes should be as minor, imo.
I don’t plane a full “rewrite”. I think of combining the current engines with gtk2-engines-murrine where it is necessary for better rendering of some elements. is it OK to add it?
Lol about no copy/paste :smile:

1 Like

Yeah, no issue with combining either. Just check the Qt applications using combined theme engines (as they are going to use this GTK2 version) aren’t impacted or have side-effects due to this and it should all be good! Thanks a lot bootstrapping this!

2 Likes

Thanks @frederik-f !
We’ll save the beer to celebrate the the successful outcome of this … (how did I put my head into it, again? - I must be insane :crazy_face: )

I’ll use them all and might need some more help on this steep road, so Just keep your fingers crossed and pray :wink:

1 Like

Good! - just needed to be sure from your side, Thanks!
I’ll try my best and shout for help if needed.
vlc look pretty decent at this stage but more qt apps should be tested later.

1 Like

For the Ubuntu Communitheme dark, I would recommend keeping the circle around the close button for consistency sake.:face_with_raised_eyebrow: Maybe change it to a gray color. :grin:

1 Like

It already is. The screenshots above are work-in-progress GTK2 apps :wink:

3 Likes

Hello! Do you have plans to adapt Communitheme to Unity?

From what I know, Unity 7 is considered legacy software. Unity 8 was never fully released or feature functional, and it’s being handled by UBPorts now, so it’s out of our hands. Nether one seems likely to see a communitheme release.

However, I can say that there is still a considerable cult following for Unity 7. Maybe someone else will make a third party version of it for Unity?

EDIT: To make it clear, when I say we I mean the Ubuntu community and Canonical themselves. I don’t claim to be actively involved in the decision making process for communitheme or just its development in general.

1 Like

The Communitheme team is happy to announce a new stable release!

The first stable release of July:

• improves entry widget on headerbar
  • begins a new style journey, this time about toolbar buttons (this to say that current version is not going to stay)
  • adds a new improvement in Nemo support, with a better style of Places sidebar (more coming)

and our bug fixes.

9 Likes

Great. New icon for Software & Update, Amazon and Software updater.
But desktop folder icon also changed in Nautilus.

Screenshot from 2018-07

4 Likes

Right! I forgot to say we updated the Icon set :slight_smile:
Thank you for remind that

3 Likes

While working on the gtk-2.0 Dark-Theme, I wonder if someone in our team can help to convert the assets to match the Gtk3 Dark Theme.
Maybe @godlyranchdressing, Or anyone else?
It will be much appreciated
Thanks!

3 Likes

The menus should be more rounded to be more consistent with the style and suru icons, an example could be the macOS.

At the moment they have the same border radius (level of roundness) as the window. I think anything more looks awkward

68747470733a2f2f692e696d6775722e636f6d2f674863525132772e676966

4 Likes

Am I the only one to not be a fan of the new aubergine icons for desktop and trash?

4 Likes

No you are not:
https://github.com/snwh/suru-icon-theme/issues/74

There has been a very subtle complain from @madsrh :smile:

2 Likes