Call for participation: an ubuntu default theme lead by the community?

I’m unsure, because the same selection will be used (even if dark theme is selected) on white background, like a webpage selection…

1 Like

Not sure about it. Now with the blue PR test, when selecting text here on the site, it’s orange .

I am on that branch (didnt push it yet) and for me thats how the selction looks like:

Chrome and firefox use the light version by default @didrocks
So changing the text selction for the dark variant does not touch the light version and browsers
$text_selection: if($variant == ‘light’,lighten($blue,30%),lighten($blue,10%));

3 Likes

@frederik-f @c-lobrano @madsrh @godlyranchdressing @luxamman
Just a quick reminder: - Don’t leave gtk-2.0 version behind while working on the dark theme… :upside_down_face:

We don’t want to do double work. So we tweak the gtk3 until we are 95% sure that only bug fixes will hit before we touch gtk2 again.

4 Likes

What do you mean “again”? – There is no gtk-2.0 Dark at all.

1 Like

Ah then I misunderstood. As far as I know we won’t provide a gtk2 dark version. The gtk3 dark version is only a must because many gtk3 apps use it by default.

1 Like

So… it means that gtk- 2.0 apps remain light if you prefer to use the dark theme, great! (not).

btw : Adwaita, for example have it.

1 Like

Although we don’t think this should be a priority right now, feel free to tinker with it yourself to see if you can get it going.

The reason why this isn’t a priority for us is that there aren’t many gtk-2 applications around anymore, and most of them are in the process of moving over to gtk-3. The next Ubuntu will even ship without any default gtk-2 applications!

4 Likes

In the meanwhile…

The Communitheme team is happy to announce a new stable release!

This week release contains a strong refinement of the Dark variant, blue text selection and bug fixing as usual :wink:

9 Likes

Seriously, stop being ironic. Reminder: We do this in our free time.

1. Edit: I hardly doubt that the tweak with the Gtk init file is supported by gnome but either way we never said anywhere that we will ship two gtk2 themes for dark and light
  2. gtk2 is basically only a goodie for Qt and Java swing applications. Even gimp will drop gtk2 soon.

We will soon start to adapt the gtk2 theme to the gtk3 theme. Feel free to help us because we will need help. None of us has a really good knowledge of gtk2 theming yet. I will upload a guideline for (hopefully) all UI elements soon on the wiki together with Mads so we or a new gtk2 contributor can implement (write code) without many discussions needed.

1 Like

First of all writhing is a very limited way of expressing your ideas . on top of it it’s not my native language. Apologies to you or any other that read aggressiveness, irony or any kind of rudeness. Just remove it from your mind when reading my words. I said it so many times to you and others how I appreciate your work, love it and enjoy it.

I asked a legit question and got my answer. Not happy with it - I admit. My problem!

When telling me we are not really good in theming gtk2 it sounds much better then what you said before. we need help with it sounds even better. I’ll try my best to help. I’m not a coder. I did it before, many times by trial and error method and learned a lot over time. googled a lot and red documentations. so, I’ll try.

5 Likes

hey anyone noticed it a superb concept developed on the time of 16.04 releasedubuntu-16-04-stupendously-hot-charmander-concept-looks-amazing-489645-9

2 Likes

ubuntu-16-04-stupendously-hot-charmander-concept-looks-amazing-489645-8

2 Likes

ubuntu-16-04-stupendously-hot-charmander-concept-looks-amazing-489645-3

2 Likes

Yes, it’s awesome, unfortunately it’s also way more than just theming

1 Like

oh so we dont have any luck to use this ?

Nothing is impossible :slight_smile: just not the work we are doing here with Communitheme.

oh thats a good sound :heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes:

Maybe you misunderstood @c-lobrano answer. We made a gnome shell theme and a Gtk theme. The mock-ups shown would require far more to realise as a heavy modding of gnome shell. The idea with the translucent purple was almost achieved some weeks ago but we needed to drop it in favour of usability due to a “bug” with low resolutions and multi monitor setups. But the screenshots show also some kind of blur which is currently not possible in gnome shell nor in gtk3 but I think it’s on the gnome roadmap for gtk4.
Did you try the communitheme yet? :slight_smile:

3 Likes