Call for participation: an ubuntu default theme lead by the community?

Yeah that pink was a full fail, sorry. Kind of funny how :tangerine: becomes pink or salmon so fast. But the flat btns are absolutely super awesome! Sorry I disagree there pazit/mozit

3 Likes

I usually disagree in reverting any change the day after it has been made :slight_smile: , above all when there has been a long discussion, test and go-back-and-forth already.

1 Like

I guess, really, people need to object earlier in the process, and I regret not doing so in the case of the colour change to blue, though I donā€™t think Iā€™ll be able to keep track of every discussed change, so I wonā€™t usually know about them until they hit edge.

2 Likes

Itā€™s only on edge, so I guess itā€™s fine to meā€¦ (as a process, Iā€™m not in love of the salmon as well)

But yeah, maybe we should paste links to PR for big changes, as itā€™s very easy to test an automatically built-in snap from it. But then, we need to be sure to tell people to answer on the PR itself and not here. WDYT?

2 Likes

Hi @madsrh , I followed that discussion and sorry our opinion did not pass. When looking at it globally the light blue is not that inconsistent . look at it here :

This pinkish color is somehow the inconsistent one.

1 Like

@frederik-f, I know that you are the one to ā€œblameā€ for those flat btns. :man_shrugging:
You sounded so excited about it! -happy for you, sad for myself.

1 agree from you is awesome! - pinkish out! :wink:

1 Like

@c-lobrano ā€¦I totally understand your point. we can still live with it for a while and rethink later on.

1 Like

Certain forum themes offer to change the hue to give variants inside the theme. Is it possible in an Ubuntu theme ?

Anything is possible, but we donā€™t want that (donā€™t want to maintain a patch). Letā€™s strive for sane defaults instead :smiley:

2 Likes

That will be easy, I guess :slight_smile:

Are you planning to allow users to customize the colours? By editing a CSS file or something.

I think @madsrh was referring to a detail we discussed on the repo, which is the entry widget. The entry selection ring is orange (as it is everywhere) and that doesnā€™t go well with blue text selection.

1 Like

This is already possible if you like, since the theme is a CSS file in your filesystem

1 Like

But in that image you havenā€™t included the selection of non-editable text, which is orange. I agree that maybe pink isnā€™t the solution here, but the merit is that itā€™s trying to conform to orange = active, blue = indication. Perhaps weā€™ll just have to have inconsistent text selection colours (blue for editable text and orange for non-editable text - if theyā€™re going to be different that should be the other way round but since people donā€™t want bright orange for editable text we would have pale orange and bright blue which doesnā€™t seem right either?) but itā€™s unfortunate.

1 Like

Yes please, those need to be used more widely across the community! Post links to more controversial PRs here (Iā€™m particularly interested in any that touch on colour consistency) and tell people to answer on the PR.

How about light grey for text selection?

5 Likes

+1
Not intrusive and does well with menu selection as you demonstrated.

1 Like

Of course gray has been considered already. The con was that it is a color that suggests a disabled state, however we are using it for menu/list/rows hover without concerns, so I am OK for trying it. Moreover it goes fine with orange selection ring

1 Like

But still orange for entryfields, right?

Also please consider @nana-4ā€™s comment here:

However, as shown in the screenshot, for some reason some selected text color (in the screenshot, top and bottom lines) gets darker than others. Maybe mix($blue, $base_color, 25%) is better to avoid the bug.

Iā€™m fine with gray too, but Iā€™m not sure that this is a superior choice to the light blue we had :man_shrugging: As always, letā€™s give it a try :smiley:

Did someone forward the LibreOffice bug upstream?

2 Likes

To me, the only +1 in favor of gray respect blue is that it looks good in entryfileds as well

1 Like

I didnā€™t understand that. So if gray then also in GtkEntry?