Call for participation: an ubuntu default theme lead by the community?

We can’t have drop-shadows also known as box-shadows for the shell popups unless we remove the box-pointers, which would be a huge usability loss.
Or did you mean for the submenu?
Actually most of the lines in there are made with inset box-shadows already.
I could not be happier with the popups now - after we implemented @ya.d idea to remove the background of the checked entry + the transparency increase from aaron. :man_shrugging:

Screenshot from 2018-06-01 10-34-36

I mean the above, note the triangular bit on the left which lacks a progressive drop shadow.

I have no idea what you mean, sorry :frowning:

Could we (not you specifically) use the current master for reference? There were many versions used in that many threads/issues and PRs about those shell popup submenus that some of you mixed them all together to something that is not even in master :smiley:

Screenshot from 2018-06-01 10-42-13

This is the triangular bit in the screenshots above. I’m referencing the drop shadow mockups but this bit is in Adwaita as well as Ambiance and Communitheme.

Another attempt:

0466b107cc1537afc0f601906dfef3c11757fef3-highlighted

1 Like

ah okay, that’s called the “box-pointer” in that shell theme :smile: That’s why I was a bit limited in perception.
If you mean a box-shadow to the outside, then the answer is simply: no it’s not possible :cry:
If you mean the inside, I need to look.

What do you mean by ‘the inside’? I think I mean ‘the outside’ yes…

I’m with @frederik-f here and, to be honest, I’m not sure if you’re not spending too much time and effort on rather an edge case. I have two gripes with this design:

1. The 3d metaphor doesn’t really work for me since the lower border is just that, a grey border. (Which might make users wonder why there is one black and one grey border…) It would at least need a secondary dark/black line to create that sense of depth at all imho.
  2. I see no real benefit in this small detail as long as it is not part of a broader concept for the whole shell including top bar, dock, menus, buttons, …

As long as you are only dealing with one (rather minor) part of the shell there will probably occur inconsistencies (seem to have missed the point where this became an “Unwort”) in other places. Long story short: The current concept of the shell seems understandable and congruent to me. Don’t deviate from this if there is no bigger picture yet.

3 Likes

I don’t mind the “different height” effect created by having a darker line and a lighter line, as long as the difference isn’t too stark. If it’s a very dark line and a very light line, the optical illusion stops working for me and it just looks like two different colours. Only when the shades are more subtle do my eyes interpret it as highlight/lowlight.

Having a bright border around the whole panel works well in the current implementation, but only because the panel is flat. If you want a subtle layers effect here, then I think it’s important to treat the panel’s outside edge in the same way (so only have bright on the top edge, rather than all the way round as it does currently). I think it would be an odd mix if internal boundaries were brightened 1px according to an imagined light source somewhere over the screen, but the outer boundary was brightened 1px all the way round.

I also have a mini reservation about mixing transparency with slide-out illusion. If we’re implying that the panels are stacked, so the submenus slide out from underneath, then why can’t you faintly see the submenu before it slides out… if the section of the panel on top of it is see-through? I’m not saying we should have that effect because it would be awful and unreadable :slight_smile: but I do think the combination of transparency + slide out effect would result in a “visual continuity error”. Whether that matters is another issue.

New stable release of communitheme is ready!

The first release of June and the first one one Monday brings the following updates

• New contextual menu style (hope you like it!)
  • Improved check and radio button inactive style (light and dark version)
  • Editable Text selection will have a go with blue again :slight_smile:
  • GNOME Shell popovers have improved colors and transparencies

and a lot of bug has been fixed as usual :wink:

10 Likes

Why a light blue for editable text selection rather than non-editable text selection? How is this consistent ‘congruent’? :slight_smile:

2 Likes

It’s an activity. And mixing up none editable text and editable text color brings up more questions than it answers (imho)

1 Like

Editable text that is selected is ‘active’, and I thought the colour for ‘active’ is orange? In what way would you say selecting editable text is indication (blue) and selecting static text is active (orange)? :slight_smile:

What questions?

Also I’m guessing there’s comments on an Issue/PR somewhere about this? :slight_smile:

1 Like

Oh yeah there have been kilometers of discussions about this topic :slight_smile:
In several issues + PRs just search for “text selection” or “selected text” on github! :slight_smile:
Beside the activity argument, the main reason was because the overwhelming of orange everywhere. Especially if you work for example in an IDE and select text.

3 Likes

It is not in this case. We are trying here a solution that puts user experience in first place. We felt that orange wasn’t an easy color for text selection.

This is the Issue, for anyone interested :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I gave this mockup a try, but, as far as my skills allow, it seems not possible.

This style requires the popover borders to be bright on top only, and transparent on the sides, which is not supported by the special property used to style the popover itself (it is called -arrow-border, which is clearly not standard css).
To cut a long story short, either we have no popover borders at all (not nice) or we have the same border all over the widget (which is what we have now).

5 Likes

Thanks for trying @c-lobrano - I personally vote to keep the popovers flat then, as per current implementation, because I think the uniform border suits a flat popover better. Same border all over the widget = a 2D-appropriate design choice, that would mix oddly with highlight/lowlight effect on submenus.

4 Likes

No complains whats so ever ! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

In fact – WOW! I love it! :heart_eyes:
The light blue, the menus, the popovers, the shadows…
Thanks!
@c-lobrano @madsrh @frederik-f @godlyranchdressing

6 Likes

There is not enough controversy, I’m almost tempted to raise that we should talk about Nautilus path button elements again, just for the sake of it! :wink:

6 Likes

Hi @didrocks !
I wouldn’t dare :smile: The flat religious people will punish me :rofl::scream:

2 Likes